Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / IntelliSense Issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,

For some unknown reason, my IntelliSense doesn't work properly.
I want it to imediently pop up as soon as I start typing, like it does in Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

I have Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and the only way for me to bring up the IntelliSense is to press Alt+Right and it pops up with everything and I have to start typing.

Can someone please tell me how I can get it so it pops up as soon as I start typing?

Thanks in advance,
--Leon Blade
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2008 09:10
The Intellisense for VB is not the same thing as what is called Intellisense in VC++. You can get statement completion to some degree with VC++, but it is based on the include files in your project, and not functions that are part of the language itself, since C++ is not tied to an underlying interface to Windows like VB and the .NET framework are.

If you add the include file to your project, you can use the same thing (statement completion for classes, tool tips, etc.) in VC++, too. It will not be enough to include it by typing #include, you must add it to the project in the Solution Explorer Panel.
LeonBlade
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you help me out with that. I'm not really sure where I should add it. In with the source files?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 21:41
The Top

Basically, ... depending on what you're using ... like the Sleep command in Win32 API, you can include:

#include <windows.h> in the top of your program, and when you save your source file, I think that's ABOUT when the intellisense system goes out and looks for and then records the functions etc in that included file.

LeonBlade
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, but I wanted the DarkGDK functions to come up automatically...
Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 12:39
Try ctrl + space, like, if you're looking for dbPrint(), type in dbPr*press ctrl+space* the list will pop up. And then you can select the function or variable you want

Deagle aka D-Eagle
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 19:54
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 22:43
I've been using ALT + -> but Ctl + Space is a bit easier to finger.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe it's just me, but the C++ IntelliSense seems slow to update. In C# it works perfectly.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 01:41
C++ needs to calculate its includes where the C# is more or less managed in a microsoft "native" sorta way. Therefore - C++ needs to be REPARSED entirely depending on the file you edited and the dependancies etc. that cause the cascaded updating.

I THINK... jump anyone these are just my guesses as to why in my observations

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 03:18 Edited at: 2nd May 2008 03:19
It will never work like it does with C# or VB. It isn't even really the same thing.

C++ is a language, independent of anything else. C# and VB are languages that implement some specific interfaces already, like jason said. C++ can use .NET at least as well as the .NET languages, but .NET is not tied to C++ at all. Once you have an object that is a .NET object, then Intellisense has an idea of what you are typing. Unitl then, it really has nothing to go on. If you type a COM object that VB, or C# already support, then it knows what you mean, and can do its job.

You do not need to have the include file parsed (By compiling a source file that includes it, that is...) if the include file is part of the project. I also think that if it is included in the main source file, it does not need to be compiled.

All of that you can determine yourself, but I am simply pointing out that Intellisense will not work the way you expect...if you expect it to work like it does with VB, or C#.

This is a big reason why people shy away from C++. The learning curve with C++ is great, and people always want to use the coolest features of Windows/GDK right away without the drudgery of learning VS/VC++/Windows/General programming techniques. etc.

C++ is probably the worst way to learn three things at once. That's unfortunate, because those .NET languages are much slower and more cumbersome in the long run, imo.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 17:03
Quote: "That's unfortunate, because those .NET languages are much slower and more cumbersome in the long run, imo"

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! but this also Reminds me of how at the grocery store, the power goes out, and the cashier can't sell anything without the computer. (For example.. .Net only coders are so fish-out-of-water without Microsoft)

You know - I WAS very aware of the learning curve - before I dug into C++ and was also shy of it... but I'm also a hard core coder (assembly language etc) and eventually was like... OK.. DarkGDK is a good enough reason to tackle C++ (Knew C.. just never delved into C++).

Now I love it. It's great! I still my FreePascal... but of the mainstream OOP languages... C++ ROCKS hands down IMHO. Faster, tighter, more portable, closer to CPU, don't need a supercomputer to say "Hello World"... Good Stuff!

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 16:53
Quote: "don't need a supercomputer to say "Hello World""

Thats right, but its faster to write in .NET

Dont flame me... Im just started on C++ now for my game and only using .NET for my websites

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 17:32
Quote: "Quote: "don't need a supercomputer to say "Hello World""

Thats right, but its faster to write in .NET "

You've reminded me of a message that I saw posted in a forum many years ago where some newbie was complaining about the C language. He was primarily griping about it taking a page full of code in order to display "Hello, world" in C. When he was asked to elucidate he produced code that included the full Windows code to create a window.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 18:10
@Neils...
Quote: "Thats right, but its faster to write in .NET"

It is true there are reasons you can develop faster with C# in many circumstances. However faster development versus quality development is why there is a trend towards more and more code needing to run to print "Hello world" on the screen. I used to be able to do it in less than 30 bytes! (complete binary executable too!)

Quote: "Dont flame me..."
Wouldnt' dare - I voice my opinions.. and only on occasion do I get "over the top"... RARELY... And frankly I WELCOME every one's opinions in return... helps pass the time with good reading in between heads down coding sessions!

Quote: "Im just started on C++"
Its not easy either.. I'm new here too! It is cool though after you get the hang of it a bit.

Quote: "...now for my game and only using .NET for my websites "
I think that's great, and I like RAD dev stuff too... and I also think .Net is great.. I'm just not convinced its the right direction for a game that needs as much performance as it can get from the hardware ...

Glad you're with us regardless what you use! (I wrote a good game in Quick Basic Once!)

Quote: "He was primarily griping about it taking a page full of code in order to display "Hello, world" in C. When he was asked to elucidate he produced code that included the full Windows code to create a window."

A spade is a spade is a spade is a spade LOL.... (Though in his case... console would of been the smarter move eh? At least he was able to make a native win32 window! Hat's off to him!)

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 12:02
@jason - But it was a tuff decision to make to choose C++ for the game and .NET for other things. But anyway I'm coding faster in .NET and my idea is to make a prototype of parts of the game in .NET and then port it to C++..... its now my whis is that I could go back in time and learn C there

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 21:13
I hear that. Pay particular attention to deleting objects that use memory when porting from C# to C++. In C#, you can live happily just creating class after class after class.. and they get destroyed for you when the time is right to C# or you implicitly fire off the garbage collector...

Cheers!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:29