Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How to switch from 2d to 3d

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 03:01
I am working on a game, and it is like SmashBros Brawl.

If anyone has ever played that game ( COOL GAME! ( for the wii )) you know that you have to select your character on the screen. How would I do that? Have the main screen come up?

~~Its not about what you know, its about how you figure it out.~~
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 16:45
lol, I knew someone would say that, and one thing... I already made pong. lol.

max ballwinkle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 17:38
i mean like you click on them?

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 18:06
Hm?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 22:21
Not enough information. (I don't have a wii wii, I have a BIG-E PC )

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 22:26
He's a talking about a character selection screen... Like you know... Boot up game->Press Start->One Player-> and then a character selection screen pops up then you select your character and press start and the game goes into 3D...

He's asking how to go from selection screen to actual game loop...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 22:36
Oh...

Well... a few different ways to skin that cat. I think Programming Maniac should ask more basic questions... at least for me... like how to do this part, and that... break it down. I personally am not going to write a discertation on how to make a fancy smancy 3d menu selecting 3d players , models with spin from model to model and all kinds of jazz... might not even be exactly whats hes trying to do LOL.

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 23:13
yeah, it isn't what i am trying to do- it is 2d anyways.
Quote: "He's asking how to go from selection screen to actual game loop..."

That is really my question.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 23:30

You'll want to have code written that can hide your entire scene, and show the other....(and viceversa) to alternate.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 00:07
So simple, yet so awesome...

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 01:14
(thanx )

You Could also do something a little weird but if you understand it... could make for a some professional looking stuff.

That SIMPLE Snip would require the Menu function to check if its supposed to be visible... if so it would decide what to do.. like show itself if its not onscreen yet, do updates... whatever it does... ONE STEP ONLY sorta....

... then the Game Function would continue like normal.....

This approach would allow a menu that seems to "float" over action in the background... think multiplayer, or fancy menus that have a game play sequences, or literally the game itself "playing" WHILE you are getting through the menu.

Just more babble... Hope you're having fun!

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 01:33
I only need a simple menu for my game... The project is due in a month, but considering it's a grade 9 math project I don't think I need multiple characters too choose from (and I don't think I have the time to find models and learn how to make animations for them either)... I think if I can get some AI code in and have a one player mode along with two player that'd be fine...

So the menu would just be "One Player, Two Player and Quit". Heck I could even make multiple executables and make the menu in VB6... But that would be cheating wouldn't it...

Hope I'm not boring you with my babbling and thanks a bunch for the info...

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 01:47
that is exactly what I needed! Thanks!

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 01:51
1: you're Welcome
2: THAT'S NOT CHEATING! (More on this later)
3: Solution I gave you first would work for you, and there is ANOTHER WAY!

Remember that thread where it was asked how to have a titlescreen, then switch to game screen.. with that SET CURRENT BITMAP?

Well... you can make a fancy 2D Image with your menu choices on it... and set that to current bitmap mode, and sync a couple times if it doesn't show up right away... then loop and wait for the menu keypress.... then just set the current bitmap back to zero - the "Game" screen. That might work. Experiment to get it to work shouldn't take too too long.

THAT'S NOT CHEATING...Continued!

Using any and all tools at your disposal to meet your goal, is hardly cheating! Cheating is showing off someone else's work and passing it off as your own!

Additionally... Trying to properly FREE all the models, positions, resetting your level, sometimes is more troublesome than its worth... and we HAVE seen some people get errors with continuous loading/creating and deleting objects OVER TIME... SO... Having your program start with a FLUSH VIDEO MEMORY call or whatever its called, and just "Exiting" your game and alternately lauching a "Menu Program" ... in my book - is not only FINE - but is a great way to do it.

What you do is either launch your game with a command line parameter, and your game would then look for and act upon this parameter(s)... OR... make your menu programcreate a "Dropfile" (a temporary text file... with the "mode(s)" its gonna do... 1 player, 2 player mode for example.

Then your game would on start look for drop file, load it, and act accordingly!

Good luck and may the (dark) force be with you!

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 02:35
What I do with my load screen currently is I paste the same picture over and over again after loading each file so that it stays hidden and the text I put on with dbtext that tells what file is currently loading etc. This setcurrentbitmap way would be maybe a cleaner way of doing it (... or would it be the same)... Anyhow thanks for the great ideas Jason... When I do get around to making a menu, I'll have this post bookmarked...

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 18:57
I thought of another way. Make a Sprite, and simply hide it/ show it. If it has the HIGHEST priority number, it I believe displays in front of the others.

this isn't actually screen flipping, but could work in a pinch and is easier to work out most likely if the switching bitmaps and syncing to make it work right etc is problematic.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 01:42
I could try that... Syncing is a weird business... For some objects it only works if I sync once and other I need to sync twice...

Although with the hiding and showing a sprite are you talking about the menu or the load screen... I'm not sure I want to hide the sprite and show off my unpositioned models' butts... The point is to keep the picture on...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:23:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:23:00