Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Considering buying FPSC...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I'm considering buying FPSC and just have some questions

1) What are the limitations of FPSC? i heard something about 50 levels maximum... is that true? what else is there?

2) How do you determine the system requirements for a game you make in case you want to sell it?

3) Is there a limit to texture sizes and details for walls, characters etc?

4) I take it FPSC is DX9 since there is a separate DX10 version. Can DX8 games be made?

5) How do i make characters?

6) How do i make textures?

7) How do i make levels and do all those sorts of things?

8) What else do i need to know?

I know it's a lot to ask... but it's best to inquire before you buy i guess...

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Mortagen
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 12:38
Hi, Mortagen!

1: That is true.

2: If it runs on your computer, it will roun on the same computer as yours and above.

3: I'm no texture expert, but I think there is.

4: I don't think so.

5: If you have to ask, it's going to be a long, long time until you figure it out.

6: Make a UV map of your model with UV mapper classic, then texture it.

7: Uh, you use FPS creator.

8: You need to know the limits of FPSC.

Buy FPSC. It's changed my life, taught me how to model and texture, animate and a lot more.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 12:44
Welcome, possible new member.

Your best bet is to download the demo and get a feel for the way the program/engine works but the latest version of FPSC is much more than the Demo.
Have a look at the FPSC manual (not sure if it is supplied with the Demo though?) as this holds some of the answers to your questions.

I think it's well worth the money even if it's used just as a hobby.

You will find/learn the answers to your questions as you use FPSC plus on this Forum.

All the best for the future.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 18:56 Edited at: 27th Apr 2008 18:59
Quote: "1) What are the limitations of FPSC? i heard something about 50 levels maximum... is that true? what else is there?"

I've never seen any FPSC game which had 50 levels. I think you'll find it a challenge to make 50 full size maps of consistently high quality.

Quote: "2) How do you determine the system requirements for a game you make in case you want to sell it?"

http://www.fpscreator.com/sysreq.html

Quote: "3) Is there a limit to texture sizes and details for walls, characters etc?"

Texture size limit is 512x512 for segments and 1024x1024 for characters.

Quote: "4) I take it FPSC is DX9 since there is a separate DX10 version. Can DX8 games be made?"

You are correct. FPSC is DX9. There wouldn't be any reason to create DX8 games now. DX9 is the baseline.

Quote: "5) How do i make characters?"

Get hold of Milkshape3D and a paint editing program then download the FPSC pre animated bi-ped for Milkshape from these forums. Then read the tutorials available on these forums. It's challenging at first but when you make the breakthrough the possibilities are limitless.

Quote: "6) How do i make textures?"

Download GIMP for free then learn how to use it properly. As stated earlier textures will need to be made in either 512x512 or 1024x1024 resolutions.

Quote: "7) How do i make levels and do all those sorts of things?"

The FPSC map editor and ease of implementing your own custom content are 2 of the best things about the software. There are generic WW2 and SCI-FI assests available to you out the box.

Quote: "8) What else do i need to know?"

You need to know that not having this sofware is the only thing preventing you from making a first person shooter that until this point you've only been able to imagine being possible.

Basically you need to make a choice right now. Buy FPSC and become a game developer or continue reserving that area of your mind for dreaming.

Your coming at a time when FPSC is so much improved from what some of us have had to use when we first used the product that I can't see you being anything other than blown away by it.
5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 18:56 Edited at: 27th Apr 2008 22:07
Quote: "Hi,

I'm considering buying FPSC and just have some questions

1) What are the limitations of FPSC? i heard something about 50 levels maximum... is that true? what else is there?

2) How do you determine the system requirements for a game you make in case you want to sell it?

3) Is there a limit to texture sizes and details for walls, characters etc?

4) I take it FPSC is DX9 since there is a separate DX10 version. Can DX8 games be made?

5) How do i make characters?

6) How do i make textures?

7) How do i make levels and do all those sorts of things?

8) What else do i need to know?

I know it's a lot to ask... but it's best to inquire before you buy i guess...

Thanks in advance!"

1)50 levels and 40x40 grid size.
2)You need:
-2000,XP or Vista OS
-1Ghz Processor
-512MB of RAM
-64MB Graphics Card
-Hard Drive Space-Depends on thew size of your game!
3)1024x1024 works and that is detailed enough. But you can have 2048x2048-EDIT:Turns out you can't. But 1024x1024 is good enough
4)DX8 games cannot be made. The engine was made with DBPro which is DX9+
5)Model them with a modelling tool. Look here for modelling tools
6)Use a UVMapper like UVMapper Classic for texturing models
7)You use FPSC. To see how easy it is to use download the demo (135MB) Download it here
8)Don't use stock media if you want a original game. You can buy model packs, use the TGC Store (Not open yet), Look around the forums for models or make them yourself for a truely unique game
Hope I helped

[IMG]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/g/banners/109.jpg[IMG]
Was cool kid
metalkill
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Buy FPSC. It's changed my life, taught me how to model and texture, animate and a lot more."

Me too...!

Dude232
Years of Service
User Offline
fpsc actually is what got me into technology classes and Welcome Mortagen!!

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 07:13
Have you downloaded the Demo? That's always a start.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 20:19
FPSC wasnt much actualy, it did not change my life, I use to use FC editor, anyway that stuff is offtopic, but its up to you mortagen.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 23:42
Quote: "FPSC wasnt much actualy, it did not change my life"

Trust me mortagen. FPSC has changed his life and everyone else's that uses these forums.

This is a once in a lifetime piece of software that you simply can't afford to be without.

There will never be another opportunity for you to develop a high end first person shooter all of your own creation.

LT Tatters is just in denial over his obsession and addiction to this software and what it has enabled him to do.

The only reason not to buy FPSC is if you want to stand a chance of ever having a 'normal' life again.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 01:27
It's changed the lives of everyone who posts on these boards more than once a week.

Some might say that there are reasons not to buy it, and would probably list off a bunch of known issues with the software. But, really, it's a great tool to play around with and definitally makes the FPS Creating process very easy and fun.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 03:04
Also, if you take the time, you can create some very professional-looking scenes.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 03:32
Quote: "The only reason not to buy FPSC is if you want to stand a chance of ever having a 'normal' life again."

Someone's a class A fanboy.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 04:08
Before I bought FPS Creator, I waisted my day's away making money, spending time with my family, and doing things with friends. Now I spend all my time productively, making games.

I lost my job, my wive and kids left me (the dog too) and I had to move in to a shelter. I've never had so much fun!

Best.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 05:14
Lol @ xplosys

Sounds more like a nightmare to me. I'm pretty much on the verge of that happening anyway, though.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 05:24
Quote: "I'm pretty much on the verge of that happening anyway, though."

You lucky guy! Call me when you're on your own. We'll do lunch. There's some great dumpster diving here.

Best.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 06:29
Quote: "It's changed the lives of everyone who posts on these boards more than once a week"

Seeing as I post here every day at school, as well as after school, I think my life has evolved a lot.

GOTH 1 SNIPER
User Banned
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 06:38 Edited at: 29th Apr 2008 06:41
ya bro its good. i just cant stay away from it.
ya its buggy some times. but the ppl for this porgram fixes bugs fast.
They are nice ppl. to take time an do this.
i think its the best. all you do is paint your map
drag an drop. its so ez my 67 yearold uncole made his 1st map with ai in lest then 5 mins.

like they sid try the demo an see how you like it.

BUT BE WARN YOU WILL BE HOOCKED =)

Edit:Fixed my spelling a little bit i think
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 07:28
Quote: "Edit:Fixed my spelling a little bit i think"

Still pretty bad spelling, but it's like the Apollo Forums motto goes:

Propper inglesh not rekwired.

Don't worry about spelling so much. We understand you just fine.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 15:30
I lost my wife a few years ago...unfortunately she has found me...sometimes when I run out of excuses I have to actually let her in...lol.
She's my ex now and we've never been happier and more in love.
Speaking of love/hate relationships...yet another one of these "Should I buy FPSC?" threads...

Download the 30 day demo and try it out.

Then you should be able to decide for yourself whether you wish to purchase FPSC or not.
I think I played with the demo for about 3 hours and then bought FPSC.
If you want to make games,have fun or just start another money-eating hobby FPSC is for you.
If you have no patience FPSC will teach it to you...or you will throw your computer out the window.
If you want to play and are motivated then FPSC is right for you.
Try the demo and see for yourself.
And do hang out with all of the fine chaps around here who are losing their jobs,families,horses,kids and dogs...just to hang out with you...
I got you beat xplosys...I'm so poor the cockroaches up and left me...they were riding on the rats...

RIP Floating Skull unknown-2007 we will miss you in FPSC x10

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 23:31:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 23:31:16