Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / New 3D game Creating

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hai guys...
I am a newbie to Dark GDK and game programming.
What i want to do is, after loading a object, if it is a man, how can i walk around ..?
Another my question is,in the Game Level tutorial , how can i disable the ghost mode, i mean how can i stay inside the building , without crossing walls.
I have got many doubts,so give me a help..!
Thanks in advance, guys...!!

One day, i'll create a stunning 3d game,now learning...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 21:26
Welcome. I personally encourage TINY TRIUMPHS and PATIENCE! I recommend you hit the http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ site for C++ stuff...

and Game programming is a science all its own, and like every computer technology seems to constantly be evolving. I just can't figure out if its because we are getting smarter, or people just get bored with tried and true stuff. Regardless, its always moving, changing, etc. So the game you set out to design today, will likely be outdated when you finish it.. so.. that soapbox comment aside...

Gladd you're digging in. I don't know how well you know programming or whatever... so I'll just point you in a general direction about your first question.

Making a guy walk around around involves many things. To Start... loading an animation with a walking animation is a good start. Then you need to Play the animation to see it "walk" but this doesn't move it. Also take note, you'll outgrow the "Auto-animation" funtions in DarkGDK and will eventually want to learned timer based movement, animation etc etc. But back to once you load a model with a walking animation, dbLoadObject(SomeObjectID,"Filename.x"); you play it with dbPlayObject(SomeObjectID); ... look in help, I don't memorize all these.. could be wrong about names... but... then once you have this walking dude... it'll be like Micheal Jackson doing the moonwalk....

So, then the next thing is to learn commands like dbMoveObject(SomeObjectID, DistanceToMove); dbTurnObjectLeft, dbTurnObjectRight.. etc.. look in the DarkGDK help in the Basic3d help area and search this forum alot both with the searches below and using google.. remember to always toos in the search word DarkGDK to narrow things down a bit, also, don't hesitate to read the DarkBasic forums... the stuff is different, but not as much as you might as first think and I learn a LOT from reading stuff there, and then coming back to DarkGDK to make it work ...

Good Luck.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 04:15 Edited at: 1st May 2008 07:25
Quote: "Another my question is,in the Game Level tutorial , how can i disable the ghost mode, i mean how can i stay inside the building , without crossing walls."

One thing you have to understand about computers is that they KNOW NOTHING unless you tell them what they oughta know... Like in the Game Level tutorial the computers knows that when the up button is pressed the camera should move forward... At that point it has no clue that the laws of physics exist and that it is physically impossible to walk through walls (unless you are a ghost that is)... It only know what you tell it and that is in the code...

To make him not walk through walls it is not about disabling anything, but more about enabling something, known as collision detection... You have to tell the computer that when the camera collides with a wall in this the 3d object of the level, the camera is not allowed to move past the wall... This starts getting more and more complicated but the point is there isn't much you can disable, but everything you have to code... To help you with this, I recommend like Jason said to read those tuts on cplusplus.com, make some simpler 2D games and maybe start out with some simpler GUI based language like Visual Basic... That helped me get started and understand how programming worked and looked like...

PS: You stole my avatar pic! I had it first! LOL... Just kidding... Have fun...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
Jithu
Years of Service
User Offline
ok guys..
thanks for your advices..!

One day, i'll create a stunning 3d game,now learning...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:22:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:22:34