Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Vista comatible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
When you make Darkgdk Vista Compatible.There are too many things dont work at Vista.
Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes it is.
I've been using it since it became free and I have Vista.
I've never had any problems with compatibility.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 18:39
Yeah! You'd think they'd make Vista backwards compatible. Instead they just made it backwards.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 19:51 Edited at: 2nd May 2008 19:53
? DarkGDK works fine on 64 bit Vista Business...

[EDIT] Hmm...it says there's 4 posts and I only see 3...must be someone on post approval

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 19:57
yeah, darkGDK works fine on my vista-- everyone says there are errors and that visa stinks. It doesn't, it is actually pretty good.

~~Its not about what you know, its about how you figure it out.~~
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 21:17
Coming from a Service and Support office... I see a lot of software need patches, and installation hoops etc to make them work on Vista. Not everything obviously... but its frustrating.

There are things you can do to WRITE software that JUST works on Vista.. but you need to do a little homework.

As for DarkGDK compatibility... I've heard and seen conflicting results and don't care to figure out (yet anyways) why one machine works great and another bombs on a simple memblock command.

I really dislike ONE OS - four "Flavors" and think that is just stupid and a support nightmare. If you must use Vista... GET ULTIMATE... Nothing is more frustrating than trying to do something and finding out your 100$ saving or whatever means you are stuck now !

pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 21:31
I've been using Vista for about a year now, and I can say in my testing the DarkGDK works fine. The DarkGDK.NET does have a few bugs here and there under Vista, but most are easily worked around by using good programming practices to begin with.

People complain a lot about Vista, but I personally have found it to be quite an improvement in security (though a large portion of that security is simply an illusion, some things have been tightened down). Vista does impose a few things on the programmer, things that should be proper practice to begin with (no modifying files in the Program Files directory, user files are in their documents or profiles directory and a multitude of other things that are just good practice but seldom followed). So I understand a lot of the frustration, but it's a step forward. A step that will frustrate a lot of people, but it's bringing Windows in line with more up to date OS's.

-Piro
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 22:48
Quote: "no modifying files in the Program Files directory"
I Disagree.

an application should be able to manage its own working space and not need to submit to a registry or have elemnts of the install here, there and else where...

A common directory structure that has been in use for years accross platforms is as follows:

ProgramDir
-Bin
-Config
-Log
-Data

Why can't I write to my config area? This makes sense I think. Make your application able to have settings and keep them in one organized place. Vista doesn't allow this unless you break their "idea of good practice" and install the software somewhere else entirely... which, isn't great.

I DO agree that user specific data should be in a place made for such storage... liek a "users" area... such as Vista has... but ... otherwise... writing to the registry is simply stupid. Its not portable, previous versions the thing was capped in size, sometimes you can write to it, sometimes you can't and Vista's implementation of the registry is awful.. you read from a key, and when you write, it decides FOR YOU to save the data somewhere else... so the app works but you read the info back.. and its unchanged.

I do think VISTA is a capable system.. but Microsoft is not the end all be all for good programming practices. Their goal is not to do things that are BEST... its to do things that make money. No harm in that.. but that skews why they do things... and the decisions they make. I was programming before Microsoft even came about - and have seen over the years MANY examples of "Good Programming Practices" and "system Design" get tossed for things that simply put - Forced you to scrap what ya had and start over.

pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 23:18
Actually your going to find that there is a place for configuration settings that you have full read/write too. Root:/Users/All Users/Application Data/<your app here>. This information is also in the system path and easily used.

*nix OS's have been following this basic principal for years. Anything user specific as for settings go in the users home directory. System wide configurations for an application or service go in the /etc directory.

I will say this. The system registry is a horrible idea, and it's implementation is even worse. I try to avoid keeping information there unless absolutely necessary. In this, I agree with you whole heartedly. Why it was ever considered a good idea is beyond me.

-Piro

PS: I would also like to say that I don't believe Microsoft has any power to state what a good programming practice is. Though they are starting to enforce some widely accepted practices, even if they are rarely followed.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 23:29
I Agree with you too...

Microsoft are kind of being left with less options as more people know what "Correct" is, what's "Decent", and what is simply "Dumb"... THIS Helps.

I know about the Application Data area, but this choice, this late breaks a lot of programs. New programs can obviously get around, but Unix and Linux would not be where they are today (still plugging) if they broke software every release - this is a Microsoft pasttime. When you consider people have been coding around their rules for years, and then they decide - wow - we should improve this, and in doing so break stuff... that is bogus.

If ANYONE REALLY wanted to stop virus, they would write an OS like I did in my hobby time when I was in my early 20's before y2k:

Simply make applications USERS! Huh? Think about it. What is the Microsoft Guest Account? I think applications should be placed in "security" groups and or have permissions specifically assigned like users. That's how I did it. It was cool. I could run a program without any rights at all, and get a list of all the resources it tried to access before it failed. Hardware, memory, file directories etc. Obviously the application would be crippled.. but you could decide what resources you wanted to give it... like specific directories, or specific hardware. I could make an application not have rights to "full" screen! It was neat.

Anyways... I digress... Vista is not awful.. but its really not all that fast either. To much bloat.

pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 23:34
Oh I quite agree. *Nix systems have been fairly careful about breaking current applications. Though Windows is starting to catch up with "standards" so to speak, it's breaking a lot of things in the process. I really see this as similar to what Apple did with OS X. In the end it was a good move on Apple's part, but Microsoft is dragging this out endlessly.

-Piro
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 23:44
LOL - Now for any Microsoft Zealots who think I'm living in the dark ages - in one thread this guy was WAY OVER THE top about this ... more over the top than I sometimes get about things... Let me say this: I use Microsoft EVERY DAY of the WEEK... and I love my excursions into Linux... I use technology ALL OVER THE PLACE ... and there are things I LOVE about Microsoft Products, and things I don't... mostly I like. Vista, however... I'm just can't get excited about. The New Server2008 however looks Great!

Give me Server2008 Enterprise Edition with DirectX9 and DirectX10 support and I'd be a VERY happy camper!

I wish if they were going to "change" stuff so much they would have adopted the *nix dir structure and things like drives could go away... we could just instead map drive letters to certain directory paths for legacy stuff...

Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 01:26
Everthing posted here about vista was said almost to verbatum (more like paraphrased becuase of version differences) when XP came out, and again when win2k came out,not sure about winME(since it was kinda a joke), and again when win98, and again when win95, and again over WFG 3.11 versus win3.0. I actually participated in many discussions to convince people/customers as to why they needed OS/2 instead of a microsoft product becuase they couldnt use linux 0.99 as it wasn't able to run many of the *nix libs at that time.

Microsoft is not Apple, it's not one big company with one voice. It has many voices. That's its flaw and reason for it's dominance of the market. It's able to react to , and create, market change. Microsft has taken lots of steps since the '90's to let us (the outsiders) know years in advance of what the changes are going to be and why they are making them. We have access to Microsoft research's website, Team Blogs, and msdn.com. How many more warnings signs do we need as programmers?

Now, why not move on to discuss what are we going to find wrong with windows 7, as it slated to be released next year in some form or another. Should we go ahead and make a dedicated thread for this, becuase it's coming whether we like it or not? I'm already thinking win7 won't have dx9 at all. with dx10.1 already out, dx9 days have to be numbered.
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 02:06
Personally, I love Vista. Because it's a forward thinking O/S, just as XP was, there's a performance curve. On low end hardware, XP will outperform Vista. On recent and high end hardware, Vista outperforms XP by leaps and bounds. Stability is also greatly improved. My desktop, the computer with Vista, is running for months on end without so much as an error message, only being shut down for updates or incidentally. As for DGDK compatibility, I've yet to see a case where something that works with XP didn't work.

Internet Explorer on the other hand...oh, don't even get me started on what's wrong with that browser. In their attempts to cater to the broadest audience, the latest browser supports extremely poorly designed HTML, rather than holding code to W3C standards, and in the process is a detriment to well coded pages, requiring the invention of workarounds and browser-specific programming.

But on the topic, DarkGDK is completely compatible with Vista Home Premium.

My site, for various stuff that I make.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 02:33
Quote: "How many more warnings signs do we need as programmers?"

I'm not the one with the problems.. but I see these problems plague users all over the place... Argon, you state we have all these programming resources etc... This doesn't help users who spend sometimes thousands of dollars on software packages, and then they get totally ganked when they buy a brand new PC and it just comes with "Windows" in their eyes more or less.

I can code in just about any language in any operating system... and if its new.. give me a little while and I'll own it.

As to THIS PERSON or THAT person not having a problem, I have seen perfectly good code just bum on Vista... and like I said, I've seen the SAME EXACT code run for someone else perfectly, and I don't know why... And I'm glad DarkGDK runs on Vista Home. That's good and a notch for TGC.

I'm just stating opinions... and observations. Everything these days is numbered... everything. Did you miss the Kudos to server2008? It's looking pretty darn sharp... AND its from Microsoft!

One thing that just is awful - and programmers all should know this - that - we are running miles of code that isn't needed - and its a general sloppyness that's prevalent and its driven by cost/money/time etc... all of which makes sense... With hardware where it is... our machines should be SCREAMING... they're not... when you need four processors via a 3+GHZ to run your OS... something is wrong.....

But.... Back on Topic... it SOUNDS like DarkGDK is Vista Compatible. YAY!

theplake
Years of Service
User Offline
And why i have this grafic problem?

the same project works fine on my xp.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 15:06
I suspect video driver. I've only seen Vista crap out on Memblock command, but then the same exact code ran on someone elses.

I have a crappy XP box I tested on - and it has a video incompatibility, and it gets some things right and others totally whacked... kinda like what you're getting here in Vista.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 20:08
Try updating your drivers... If that doesn't work buy a new card... If that doesn't work try XP... If that doesn't work... um... try something else... like another computer... no not buy a new one, if you have another one use that...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 21:46
Firstly, please resize your image to something reasonable. I don't like having to scroll to the side on a forum if I don't have too.

Secondly, I'm going to have to agree with jason. That looks like a typical driver issue with your video card. What are your system specs? What video card are you using and what driver version?

-Piro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:26:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:26:25