Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / why a PNG might load via dbLoadImage on one PC fine, and Corrupt on another?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 20:59
My bitmap fonts, PNG files, use DarkGDK dbLoadImage and work fine, but I have a another machine where EVERYTHING runs fine EXCEPT the loaded media seems ... well... messed up?!?

Any ideas? Everything else is fine... I can even get around this issue if I wanted via, loading to bitmap and capturing, but the PNG has perfect lossless compression and alpha channel.. any ideas? (P.S. this troubled PC is set to 32bit mode display).

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 00:07
Video drivers?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 02:21
Thanx for the response.

Its a shoddy card so - even though it CAN draw it usually... maybe directX doesn't even try to handle it right... I dunno.. thought pictures load to mem.. then get piped to video during use.

I'm concerned because EVERYTHING WORKS except... My Bitmap fonts.. which use the MakeMemblockFromImage command and viceversa for actual display.

The "GetImage" from pasting to a bitmap ALMOST worked... its ALMOST like DarkGDK didn't like my video card because the alpha commands DO work.. just ... I dunno...

My concern is that I want my game(s) to work on both high end and shoddy machines... and if I could test for the "issue" I could code around the issue.. but I found nothing... all my tests showed the code was "reporting" to work just fine.

Ah well...

Thank you for stopping in!

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 04:24
How "shoddy" do you want to go?
I'm getting a new desktop this summer but until then I'm using my 5-year-old Dell Dimension 2400 which was the cheapest comp. at the time... I SERIOUSLY NEED MINE REPLACED and I have been convinced of that because people told me games could no longer run on it and I tried and they were right...

Making it "shoddy" comp. incompatible will convince more people to upgrade AND THAT IS GOOD... It will REALLY help them in the long run... I think if it runs on my comp. that I use currently it's good enough for anyone...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 20:23
Not that SHODDY... just um... I dunno - I want to make the game so it'll run on almost anything... and shaders or whatever "details" I have can be adjusted to suit.. and things like camera range, etc... so you can play for "gameplay" or play for "beauty" or both if you got the horse power.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 20:31 Edited at: 3rd May 2008 20:33
Well you'll either have to switch to bitmaps or tell people to live with the incompatibilities... I dunno maybe if PNGs don't show up properly have a bitmap bank backup and if people are having graphics problem tell them to use this "FIX" which will use bitmaps instead of PNGs for a little sacrifice of picture quality... I think I would do that...

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 22:32
yeah - I agree.. and if was something I CARED a whole lot about I would dig deeper. I'm going to forget it for now... continue with game development... see how beta's go.. and if there is a big enough problem... I'll make special builds or something...

For now... I have product to make! LOL thanx though - good post!

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 23:51
Whoa whoa whoa... hold on... Did I actually help the great Jason P Sage in some way or another?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 23:54
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 00:16
Awww... Oh well, maybe I'll have better luck next time...

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 04:05
I wish I could help. but I cant. Im having my own problems......errrrrr....
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 04:34
Thanx folks... You Too David W - NO PROBLEM! This png file Video card maybe messed up blah blah thread - is moot for me at the moment. Don't waste your time - I got some good responses... and I'd rather have you working on your own stuff or helping someone else out than trying to help me on this one.. at this point

I'm grateful - but - the PC I ran into this problem on I figure is junk - so moving forward - if I have issues on enough machines ... which I doubt I will actually... then I'll (re)visit whatever those issues are as they arise

Thanx Everyone!

P.S. Good Luck David W on your current problem - You'll get it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:16:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:16:41