Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 2D Backdrop on a 3D game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 08:43
I want to use a 2D backdrop for my game... The technique I'm using right now is using a skybox and zooming in on one face of the skybox... This does works except a quarter of the picture is cut out and the quality is horrid...

Anyone have any ideas, that are maybe better than mine?

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
RancidRat
Years of Service
User Offline
I asked the same question

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=127917&b=22

You see, you have to choose which gets drawn first 3d or 2d, and that sux because if you draw 2d last (to be in the background) you cant use 2d to display your gui or menu or text because it is all drawn behind the 3d.

I am working on a space game, you have a top view of a 3d ship and it has stars in the background, i downloaded some really hi res pics of space and then made sure they were square. then I made a 3d plain (10000 by 10000) and stuck the hi res images as the texture. It looks great. But remember, since you want a 2d kind of background, you have to stick to one kind of camera view (like my top view) otherwise it is no longer a 2d backdrop you want and in that case your skybox is perfect for the job.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 20:22
I'd make a huge sprite, and make it have the lowest prioity... and I'd make it big enough where I could "foolya" by making it "move" to give illusion its bigger than it is.

You can make sprites draw to back I'm pretty sure... but.. whatever... who knows... I haven't done this yet - but I'm finding that the DarkGDK Sprites are cool and predictable while writing my GUI - As for speed... its a gui - I don't care ... if someone has 100+ windows open... well... they deserve a little lag! LOL

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 03:07 Edited at: 4th May 2008 03:13
So far it always draws to the front of the screen... Even when I set the priority for it to appear on the back and it's the first thing I have loaded and drawn... But I'm still experimenting... If I can't get it I'll just use the skybox...

EDIT: But one question... How do you make a 3D plain?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 03:45
dbDrawSpritesToBack I think is what you need - there is a command like that I'm pretty sure... I think ???

dbMakeObjectPlain(Id, width, height); <--- How to make a 3d plane?

Then you texture it... but they are usually grainy for a background.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 07:31
Quote: "dbDrawSpritesToBack I think is what you need - there is a command like that I'm pretty sure... I think ???"

I swear I saw a command like that once when I was strolling through the help file... but now I can't find it... ... Tried to see if IntelliSense would pick it up but no luck... Do you know the proper name?

Quote: "dbMakeObjectPlain(Id, width, height); <--- How to make a 3d plane? "

So is it plain or plane?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 08:02
ITs a 3d Plane.. but the DarkGDK and DBPro function call is named Plain. LOL - that was intentionall... though keep a sharp eye... I'm usually just fat fingering it.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 08:09
How about dbDrawSpritesToBack... Any info on that?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:13:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:13:27