Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Installing Dark GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having trouble installing Dark GDK. The installation gets so far, then reports: Error attempting to read from the source install database: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\25ab2.msi. I've installed VS2008 Express and DX9c, as per the guide, but I can't get past this point. Any ideas?
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 17:17
I think I had that same problem. I can't remember how I solved it though........... Try reinstalling everything, and make sure you install and donwload the in the order it gives you.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/?f=downloads

go to this link-- if you haven't and follow those steps. It should work if you do it over again.

~~Its not about what you know, its about how you figure it out.~~
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 17:18
oh, and good luck!

deano88
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried a re-install of all the apps and it hasn't made any difference.
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 20:11
Also try reinstalling Windows Installer... Maybe that might help...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 04:05
other than that, I have no idea what is going on. what computer do you have? Vista, Mac, XP, Ubuntu, Linux?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 04:41
When I first started with the VS2008 and DarkGDK combo - I had to uninstall everything Microsoft C++, DarkGDK, DirectX... and Start clean.. exactly following the directions... short of that... dunno... (And do reboots when prompted)

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 07:48
Here's a post from the Installation & Wizards sticky from a member named Zumwalt:

Quote: "XP PRO SP2 All windows patches.
Install order:
C++ 2008 Express
Ran 2008, exited application
August 2007 DX SDK Full Install (NOT REDIST VERSION! IMPORTANT)
Ran 2008 again, checked to make sure libraries and headers were correct for the SDK and removed all other references to older DX SDK's in the lists, exited applicaiton.
Ran Dark GDK.MSI
Ran 2008 again, verfied all settings.
Created new project using Dark GDK templates, all worked.

It is extremely important that you install August 2007 SDK Full install, I guarantee that the Dark GDK will NOT work without this being the ONLY DX SDK in the list for headers and libraries."

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
deano88
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys for the help, but I'm still getting nowhere. I've tried doing a clean install on a machine at work - its an XP machine (as is mine) and hasn't much on it apart from VS Express 2008, but I get exactly the same error message after I've installed DX SDK and then try and install the GDK: Error attempting to read from the source install database.

I've also downloaded the GDK twice incase it was a dodgy download the first time. Guess I won't be using GDK just yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:25:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:25:32