Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK (C++) vs DBPro - addons and comparisons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 14:08
Hi all,

I have been playing around with DBPro, and just recently, GDK and must say I am very impressed with my results... albeit a small demo based on the sample progs etc.

I'm now in the mindset to take this demo a bit further and branch it into a small game (don't worry Half-Life 3 isn't on any horizon! LOL!).

I wanted to ask everyone (who had used both DarkGDK and DBPro) how they have found the addons with regards to features/functions. I have DarkPhysics and it seems great with GDK and am thinking of buying DarkAI... I am unsure whether to start coding this game in C++ or DBPro. Does DarkPhysics and DarkAI offer ALL the functions of their DBPro counterpart? Do they work as well? Is there any REAL increase in performance? I know the exe's are large with DBPro but I guess that's not really an issue as computers are getting more powerful with large amounts of RAM etc. DBPro has recently been updated but GDK doesn't seem as up to date.

BTW... does the built in shadows work as well in GDK as DBPro (I realise they're not great anyway but are they as good?)

Sorry for long email...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 14:45
DArkGDK has less plugins available - but for me the speed increase is why I switched and its definately noticable.

I bought DarkAI and haven't got around to using it yet... but the demos were fine and the DarkPhysics is fine... just need to learn how to use convex dynamic entities over dynamic meshes I'm told....

Um.... shadowing is the same... most things are the same .. but the other HUGE improvement is the DBPro programming syntax is a bit odd and has many limitations - you can get around but.. C++ is a much more powerful and mature language and is better to have as your language while using DarkGDK as your "RAD" DirectX dev tool

(Not to mention it has most if not all the same sound, music, etc)

fallingb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 15:20
Thanks Jason,

I must admit I do like coding in C++ and have never been a great fan of Basic, although I do use VB.NET every once and awhile for non-game stuff.

I think i will stick with C++ for the time being and try and port my stuff over from DBPRo. I hoping the speed increases will make it worth while and GDK is kept up-to-date with DBPro.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i would go for DARKgdk.

in the process you get the opportunity to tinker with C++ and in the long run you would get comfortable with C++ which would prove to be a personal asset.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:19:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:19:24