Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What would cause an access violation in the dbSync function?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 20:33
I haven't a clue!!!! anyone know? Deleting an image that was in use? anything? Anyone else ever have this issue?

bobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 06:12 Edited at: 6th May 2008 06:15
Greetings m8,

I don’t know if this will help but I have had that problem once before.

The only time I have had an access function from DBsync was when I was printing text in a thread as well as my main game loop. The thread had a call to db sync. If 2 calls are made at the same time DB understandably is not happy.

I cured the problem by removing the call to DBSync from the thread. It worked without it anyway.

It took me a while to work out the problem as it occurred at varying times from execution.

So if your using threads in your program than this could be the problem, if not I am afraid I don’t have a clue.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 06:21
Thanx for the reply, mental note made.

Unfortunately... I don't have a clue either.. (Not multi threading yet with DarkGDK yet, other than telling DarkPhysics to do its thing in another thread.)

I did take a stab at the problem though, I have this full bore messaging GUI like the windows OS uses and Xwindows most likely uses also.. and I had a flaw I discovered and fixed... hopefully this is what it was... only time and more testing will tell.. but I have ANY MOUSE DOWN would trigger stuff.. like a left mouse button only should, but only left button release would do the "let go" ... say dragging, button pull offs or clicks, and sizing windows....

I though I was only using left mouse button, so I added some "game" specific right only mouse stuff... supposed to be 100% separate from the GUI hooks for left mouse button... I think this MIGHT of been a wire cross... dunno though... I did this after an exception NOT in the dbSync...

and I only saw the dbSync exception on a machine that gives me a couple other problems so I'm chalking it up to ... I fixed some broken stuff... and the rest could be that faulty PC I did some testing on.....

So...thanx... Wish me luck! I appreciate the post!

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 13:18
Hey many things can cause that, anything that violates video ram will probably cause it, for example

- Texture an object and then delete the texture before Sync.
- Reloading textures or objects with previously used id's without having these previously deleted.
- Incorrect Memblock (or non memblock) manipulation of textures
- Shaders that are not compatible or that cause the error...

just thinking out loud
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 04:00
Appreciate it. I think in this case its the shoddy Intel Motherboard mounted video card.. and that it doesn't support AGP Accelerated tectures maybe.. (the one thing that comes up "not supported" in the directx checker program.

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 05:19
hey jason if you see this get ahold of me ok

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:14:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:14:54