Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Install using VS2008 for DarkGDK missing DarkGDK.h

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 06:26
Hi there!

I have used the DarkGDK.net on my old machine and it works like a dream! Already made some fun stuff with it. However, I have a school project coming up and my group would like to use the DarkGDK for C++. I wanted to install it on my new computer which has VS2008 instead of the free C++ compiler but the DarkGDK installer doesn't recognize it.

Is there a way for me to manually setup my VS2008 to use DarkGDK?

Requirements for life: Food-Water-Video Games!
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 07:23
Do you have VS2008 professional?

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 18:45
Yes.

Running windows vista 64 if that makes a difference. I have two HDD on the computer but all of my development stuff is on drive C in the default directories.

I manually set the /include directory and /lib directory from the dark folder to be part of the C++ include files and library files. That got rid of most of my errors save for one now:

Cannot open include file:d3dx9.h

I am going to check that to make sure my DirectX SDK installed properly. I tried including it as an additional dependency under the project options -> linker -> input but no luck.

I have to run to work but I'll try a few more things when I get home. If anyone knows the fix off the top of your head that would be fantastic!

PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 18:47
Bah no exit post function. I did install the DirectX 9.0c august that the DarkGDK installer recommended (I had the newer november one installed but DarkGDK installer didn't detect it). I also have the microsoft platform installed and have compiled raw directX 9.0 apps on the compiler before on this machine.

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 19:11
Include the folder where the d2dx9.h includes are. Under default install it should be something like:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Include

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 21:55
PostalCow - where in VS2008 are you setting this up?

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 05:51
Niels,

I was setting up the include directories in Visual Studio 2008 under Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ directories

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but DarkGDK installer says I do not have a C++ compiler installed. Is there a way to manually make it know where my VS2008 is installed?

Its currently in:
c:\program files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC

Another alternative could be to install the freebie C++ compiler and then try to somehow copy the compiler settings from the freebie compiler to VS2008?

Is there some sort of documentation that has how to manually set the compiler settings?

PS - Thanks for everyone trying to help. You guys have the best boards!

PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 06:00
More information:
I manually set the include and library directories and now it compiles fine but I don't think it is properly finding the media directory. I am attempting to run the example code from the download website. The application starts but is just a black screen.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 06:08
As long as the program compiles fine and gives you no warnings AND your media directory is in the right place you shouldn't be having this issue... Which example are you trying to run?

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 06:14
Quote: "The application starts but is just a black screen."

I think there's a difference between where one version of the compiler and another thinks the default directory is located. I don't know where your media files are but try putting them in relationship to the directory where the executable is and again in relationship to the directory where the source files are.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 06:21
Quote: "I don't know where your media files are but try putting them in relationship to the directory where the executable is and again in relationship to the directory where the source files are."

When in doubt paste your files EVERYWHERE... Your program oughta find 'em soon...

PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 08:21
Lilith, that doesn't happen to be Fairchild as your avatar is it?

This is what I am trying to run:

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 08:26
Ahh... The Game Level tutorial...

Where Game Level.sln is located there should be a folder called "Game Level"... and inside that should be a folder called "media" ... inside that should be the media files ... the compiler should be looking in there ... but nevertheless try putting the media folder in various other places and see if it works...

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 08:40 Edited at: 9th May 2008 08:41
Quote: "Lilith, that doesn't happen to be Fairchild as your avatar is it?"

No, though I wouldn't mind looking like Fairchild. It's an avatar I took off the DC Comics site. It's Barbara Gordon, OKA Oracle. We're both red-heads, both wear glasses. But I'm a bit older, a bit heavier.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 08:43
Bingo! And Core2uu gets the prize! Works like a charm as I was using the wrong "media" folder. I needed to use the one in the game level folder.

So for the guy or gal who finds this post on a search here is how I fixed it for Vista x64 system running Visual Studio 2008:

1) Install the DirectX SDK like the GDK recommends
2) Install DarkGDK. When asked to continue even tho it does not detect your compiler go ahead and continue.
3) once installed start your compiler and click on tools->options
4) Under Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories select "include files" from the drop down box.
5) click the new folder button, then click the three dots button. Direct it to your DarkGDK include directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include by default)
6) click the new folder button again, then click the three dots button. Direct it to your DirectX SDK include directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Include by default)
7) from the drop down box in the upper right select "library files"
8) click the new folder button, then click the three dots button. Direct it to your DarkGDK lib\vs9 directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Lib\vs9 by default)
9) click the new folder button again, then click the three dots button. Direct it to your DirectX SDK lib\x86 directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Lib\x86 by default)

Make sure your proper media folders are in the same folder as your VC++ Project folder. And be sure to use the right media folder. Searching your DarkGDK folder for the media files you are looking for is a fast way to find which folder you need.

Good luck.

And thanks to everyone for their help!

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 08:49
Quote: "Bingo! And Core2uu gets the prize!"

Sweet... Where do I collect my prize?

BTW, Lilith started the folder location suggestion so she should get some credit too... Maybe we can split the prize 90/10... Of course I get the ninety...

PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 08:50
Quote: "No, though I wouldn't mind looking like Fairchild. It's an avatar I took off the DC Comics site. It's Barbara Gordon, OKA Oracle. We're both red-heads, both wear glasses. But I'm a bit older, a bit heavier."

Red head with glasses and helpful. Thats my type to a T! Let me know when you are in San Diego, I owe you a drink!

Thanks again for the help!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:17:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:17:39