Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What is needed for share my program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 12:15
When I make a program in DGDK what is needed to share it? Only the exe? I know that the reciever needs to have DirecX9.

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 13:25
I was surprised to see that no libraries other than DX9 where requested on a 'clean' windows xp.

However I decided to include the CRT libraries, as I wasn't totally sure.
Search for 'redist' at the Visual Studio folder. Under the 'VC\redis\x86' sub-folder, I picked 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT' folder with files to be included.

So far, no one has complaint about missing library errors to me, other than DX9
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 15:52
...and that will continue, as long as you use static linking with Windows libraries and avoid using managed code. Windows itself can manage the library version needed and provide the dynamic link automatically on startup of the module making the call. Then, you will only encounter problems with the user's Windows system being improperly configured (Usually, because of the Windows Update, unfortunately!)...but that is handled by Microsoft, usually.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 17:24
I agree, but that's the default configuration needed to make DGDK work, right? I mean we are 'forced' to use static linking, or am I wrong?
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2008 19:31
You are correct, but only forced to for GDK, and the Windows libraries it uses by default. You can dynamically link to anything else, however.

In DBPro, this can be an issue with any part of it, since it is all dynamically linked at the application level. Dynamic linking was not supposed to be that cumbersome, but it is a fairly trusting mechanism that gets abused alot. Then, it breaks.

My preference is for static linking, since there is already a robust mechanisn that handles it for me. It is pretty difficult to introduce a version error with static linking, you almost have to do it intentionally by modifying the include file, or hacking the .lib file.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:26:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:26:04