Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Games for the cell phone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 00:16
Is there a way to program games specificaly for cell phones? I want to make a game for my cell phone that is not alot of memory, but it is a fun game. Does anyone know how?

Thanks.

~~Its not about what you know, its about how you figure it out.~~
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 01:11
Not with DGDK you can't... Unless of course you can get a port of the DX library and all other windows libraries on your cell phone plus have a powerful processor, hard drive and graphics card on your phone... which is of course, highly unlikely...

Depends on which cell phone "specifically" you are programming it for... For cell phone games I'm guessing you'll probably have to look into Java Micro or Flash to program them in, and it probably won't be as simple as stuff you can do with DGDK...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 01:51
I suspect it would be easy compared. But you need to learn the "machine" (cell phone) you're running in etc. If your serious about doing that... you want to find vendors that have a Virtual machine that you can run your programs in... and whatever java version they require etc. alot more involved I would venture to guess in getting your game distributed properly. I would guess that because cell phones aren't all that OPEN (as people are trying to make them) You might find some research before you begin would be prudent.

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 02:55
Hm..... I thought programming for cell phone games would be easy, and just need a couple of modifications........ Well, I don't know if i'll be able to do all that, mostly because I don't know any java......

Thanks, and I am sorry I wasted some of your time.... I might do this stuff later, so it is always good to know!

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 03:07
Quote: "mostly because I don't know any java......
"

Java and C++ aren't all that different, if you know C++, Java shouldn't be such big of a learning curve...

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 03:31
Really? I knew c++ and python are pretty similar, but java and c++? That is probobly useful information to know........ Thanks!

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 03:36
Well I can't say for myself 'cause I haven't done any Java yet but I have heard that C++, Java and C# have similar syntax...

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 03:43
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 16:41
Java is very similar to C++. i moved to C from java and its actually just like taking a few lines out. and If you don't want to make 3d games, flash is even easier, with actionscript jsut being a form of javascript. all these are based on C++, so learn C++ and you can program in a lot.
As i said, if you dont mind not having 3d then flash has options (flash lite its called) to make content for not only cell phones but pdas and stuff as well.
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 17:02
Wow, I never knew that c++ was related java, flash, and all the other-- I thought it was always really different.

Quote: "if you dont mind not having 3d then flash has options (flash lite its called) to make content for not only cell phones but pdas and stuff as well. "

That is exactly what I want to do, like 2d games for the cell phone and stuff! Thanks-- p.s.-- I didn't even know what flash was. Never heard of it!

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 22:32
U know when u play a game on the internet? chances are thats flash. If you want help making games for flash add me on msn (jezzaparker@btinterent.com) or xfire (jezza112) or got to flashkit..com. there is a very good community forum there.
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 22:35
Quote: "add me on msn (jezzaparker@btinterent.com) "

ok, my username is maximo7274@hotmail.com, and the first question is, where is a free compiler for flash game?
Thanks!

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 23:20
Thats where it gets hard. Flash isnt really a programming language (actionscript is the language that controls it) so u dont really get compilers. There are to options, to obtain Flash itself from Adobe, or Swish max, which is practically the same, but cheaper and not as good. you can get trial versions of both.
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 23:32
I thought Macromedia MX was a good program for flash, is it not?

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 23:32
hm..... That is something I also didn't know..... Thanks

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 23:38
Well that's what it was called before Adobe bought it... Now it's called Adobe Flash CS3... It is quite expensive, try and find some free and good ActionScript compiler... Read up on ActionScript here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActionScript

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 23:39
ok, thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:22:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:22:18