Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / FPS with Shaders - dbSyncRate ( 0 ); query

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 16:14
Hi all,

I'm using the command 'dbSyncRate(75);' to hold my demo at 75FPS (that's the refresh rate of my TFT) and everything is running fine. I then added a Bloom shader using the example DarkGDK code and the demo dropped to 41FPS... I tried changing the SyncRate command to dbSyncRate(0); and low and behold the frame rate went back up to the capped 75fps. Why would my original RateRate(75) not be able to lock the frame rate properly? I'm guessing I need to 'shoe-horn' some sort of timing code into my demo now to get it running the same on different PC's? (and I was getting on so well )

cheers
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 19:56
Try capping to 60 and see what happens... You should use 60 because not everyone's monitor refresh rate is as high as yours... For example, my TFT's refresh rate is 60...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 20:37
Or hunker down and write timer based code - you probably should anyhow. It's considered bad practice to let the monitor refresh rate control game speed... this is an ideal case of why.

I know its easier to NOT write the timer based stuff... but... You'll be happy you did once its working.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:16:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:16:32