Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Leadwerks Engine 2 and DarkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to integrate the Leadwerks Engine with DarkGDK? I wanted to make a project using features from Leadwerks to integrate 3DWS into my game, while using the simplicity of DarkGDK to handle the game itself, such as object creation and handling. I'd like to know if this is a possibility.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 20:42
No.

3dws + DarkGDK? Yeah, 3dws With Leadwerks? Yeah

LeadWerks Engine + DarkGDK .... No.

igitur
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, well, why exactly won't they play nicely with eachother?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 21:30
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 21:39
Quote: "DirectX + OpenGL = Programmer Hell."

That explains it...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
igitur
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, i should have figured that one out . I guess that explains it. Which one do you think is better suited for a more graphically experimental game? I wanted to fool around with some shaders and a few high poly models and high res textures just to see what I could come up with. Does one have significant performance or visual advantages over the other?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 01:30
Both systems are decent.. LeadWerks has the Softshadows working - need a powerful machine to use... Has Newton... No option to get a physics card to speed up the physics like DarkPhysics which works with DarkGDK.

DarkGDK is dx9... if you want to stay in dx9... (dx10 out now and I haven't heard any updates from TGC about DarkGDK and dx10 but...)

I THINK OpenGL is mainly backward compatible... I THINK.. dunno.. in other words.. it might be a better long term investment for that and the soft shadows. Though you can get DarkGDK looking just as stellar with the right shaders I'm told.

Dunno... personal taste... I kinda like the more or less lean directx TGC approach... and simple to understand API for the most part.

If I had the extra dough lying around.. I'd grab Leadwerks.. but I've seen games done in DarkGDK.. I have not seen a "game" or even a playable anything in LeadWerks v2 yet.

igitur
Years of Service
User Offline
Is TGC planning on coming out with DarkBasicPro x10 version soon? If so, I'd assume they are planning something similar with DarkGDK...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 18:34
Well... last I heard - same as you.. was that FPSCx10 was written in DarkBasic x10 in house version... not released etc etc. So... The way I see it... they are staying hush about it and are probably listening to our posts and working hard to make it come to market "ready" (doc's, low bugs, Q/A etc.)

Also, there was mention of making one language two api.. that might be tricky.. but if I was them, I would at a minimum figure out a "port" path for all the products to their dx10 equivalents.. from what they learned doing it themself.. so this way they can entice people to upgrade as they can leverage their current work if they do x,y,z...

I mean, if I was them.... I would at least try to keep all my products centered around technology to be based on one code base where possible easing bug fixes and rollouts.. so they can for example... fix a bug that effects all the products and that would make life easier for the developers getting those fixes out there as the could kill multiple birds with each proverbial stone.

Sounds good in theory.. difficult in practice. I have to say that I'm riding things out with DarkGDK.. I bought it before it was released as free-to-use license (non-commercial) so I had a head start in some ways.. and I'm quite vested now and pleased. I think there will be a DirectX10 product... and I think TGC will do what they can so myself and others can make the transition without starting over from scratch (which would be devastating for me at this point) ...

I'm about to place an order for a a bunch of model packs for FPSC 9 for Iron Infantry Fodder.... Once I heard they were compatible and the New "Dark Matter" kinda... I started looking closer.. I peresonally like their models. Especially the buildings, rocks, fences.. "eye candy widgets" LOL ... I think they are great.

...but I digress...

I'm glad TGC is making more options available in their fold. I think its cool.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:13:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:13:30