Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / New Orchestral song

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 10:54 Edited at: 14th May 2008 07:21
I made some changes to the song I wrote last night and posted it on here. I rewrote some sections and changed the progression a bit. I like where it's going and I plan to add some more instrumentation and percussion.

I'd appreciate any comments!

http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=1496298

eVGA 780i Mobo :: Intel C2D E8400 OC'ed @ 4.0Ghz :: Tuniq Tower 120 heatsink :: 2GB Kensington 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM :: 2 x eVGA 8800 GT KO 512MB SLi :: m-Audio Audiophile 192 :: Vista Ultimate x86

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Indie Rock 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Quite a few views with no comments... I'll take constructive criticism too! Just wondered what people thought

eVGA 780i Mobo :: Intel C2D E8400 OC'ed @ 4.0Ghz :: Tuniq Tower 120 heatsink :: 2GB Kensington 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM :: 2 x eVGA 8800 GT KO 512MB SLi :: m-Audio Audiophile 192 :: Vista Ultimate x86
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 01:40
You suck.

How's that for constructive criticism?

I also think that you shouldn't take any above statements seriously.
I love to do that to people.

Anyways, 2 things bothered me about it. At the end of the song, there was some marc's playing fast. It sounded fake (everything else had good realistic sound to it). The other thing was the rather un-interesting motif that didn't develop very far (or quickly enough to keep me with it), and when sounded like it was going to, the song came to an end.

Sorry if that sounded too harsh.

Keep it up though! Rome wasn't built in a week, so don't be discouraged.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Indie Rock 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 04:26 Edited at: 16th May 2008 04:34
Quote: "At the end of the song, there was some marc's playing fast. It sounded fake (everything else had good realistic sound to it)."

I'm not sure what you mean, although the quickly playing violins and basses at the very end were hard to make convincing, so I'll assume you mean that. I tried various note lengths and reverb levels to get it to sound as realistic as possible, but it's kind of hard with samples.

Quote: "The other thing was the rather un-interesting motif that didn't develop very far"

How specifically? Do you mean there was not enough variety?

Thanks!

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 12:30
Quote: "I'm not sure what you mean, although the quickly playing violins and basses at the very end were hard to make convincing, so I'll assume you mean that. I tried various note lengths and reverb levels to get it to sound as realistic as possible, but it's kind of hard with samples."

Yes, that kind of playing is called "marcato" I believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcato

You shouldn't need to do any special tricks to make marc's from regular samples. Just use dedicated marcato samples.

I don't know what program you use, but if it's reason, there should be a bunch of these marcato samples in your "orkester" sound bank. You could also download some good samples from this site. http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php

Quote: "How specifically? Do you mean there was not enough variety?"

Well, I don't know what you where aiming for with the song. It depends on what its "purpose" is. For a background song in a game, it's great the way it is. It doesn't scream for attention so to speak, moslty becase of the exclusive use of low-frequenzy sounds.

For a stand-alone song, it could be a bit more varied as not much catch my ears. But in the end that ofcourse depends on how you want it to be. If you like it the way it is, then keep it the way it is (Except the technical part, being the marcato's).

Indie Rock 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, I used samples of violins being played with short bows and I used the most "punchy" one there was. I think it sounds fairly convincing for the most part. The violins do anyways, the stand-up bass didn't really have any as short and sharp as I wanted.

I was kind of going for a brooding but pensive feel, kind of like ambient more than classical, but it really just sort of came out that way. From start to finish I only spent maybe 3 or 4 hours on it and didn't really have a plan to start with. I tried to use slow undulating movements, so I'd say it was a background piece.

To be honest I was a little bummed that the only response I got was you saying it was "uninteresting" and boring, lol. After you explain it I just think that we have different tastes, though I do agree it needs a little "more" to really be interesting.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 21:11
Quote: "To be honest I was a little bummed that the only response I got was you saying it was "uninteresting" and boring"

Haha, sorry about that.

I'm a little bummed atm too, you see, my graphics card died 2 days ago. I'm on my "backup computer". A 533mhz comp that can barely run windows media player. Buying a new card means new mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:37:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:37:47