Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Darkgdk / 3d Models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 05:22
Yes, I am new but i am a good programmer in c++ and I make 3d models in gimp. Now the point were can i get reasnoble or free software that is compatible ( .x ) or .bsp or any other supported type. I have used DeleD Lite but i can't get textures to work. So Here is a list of what i have tried and can't really get textures working. ( mutiple meshes). Also if terrain editing is included that would be nice.

Hammer 3.6
DeleD Lite
Gmax

Rendetion a farcry from DarkGDK
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 06:36
Lemme see...

Blender...
fragMOTION...
Milkshape3D...
Blitz3D...

There is a list of awesome free (and not) 3D modelers somewhere here on this forum....

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
Mc Koding
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 07:35
Thanks i know Blender Milkshape now i need to figure out how to move my cameras z pos wait i may have it.

Rendetion a farcry from DarkGDK
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Use Blender! It's free and it's becoming better and better! The interface might be confusing at the beginning, but you will get used to it.

http://www.blender.org/

FINAL VERSION RELEASED!!!!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 16:10
Hmm... Coming from you Tobi... That's pretty persuading! (Good to see you BTW!)

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
DeleD is really good, ive done some cool stuff with DeleD models and GDK, the lightmaping is nice and i never had problems with textures or UV mapping.
Cheers
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 18:40 Edited at: 14th May 2008 18:40
jason, I will start a thread about my new game this week. Although there's not much gameplay to look at, there are some pics of grass and water.

Preview attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 20:52
How do you make that sun?

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
The sun is simply a sprite. I calculate an intersection between the camera position and the sun position. if there's an object in between the sprite is hidden otherwise it is shown. An important thing that many people don't know, is that if your image has an alpha channel your sprite or transparent object becomes semi-transparent. You can set the alpha values for each pixel in a way that the object becomes more and more tranparent towards the edges.

You can use GIMP for this.
http://www.gimp.org/

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 21:31
(and Fireworks too.. Paintshop I think also... )

AWESOME Tobi! I have to ask how ya did the sky and water now!?!?! Water just a shader? Which One? If you don't care to share I understand... but I really could use that technique how you got water (with shader) to fade into fog like that!!!!! Is it built in to the shader so you can "blend it" in with normal linear fog thats in Dark GDK?

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 22:23 Edited at: 14th May 2008 22:24
The fog is built into the shader. It's Green Gandalf's water shader, but I included fog that fits with the fog in the game. That is somewhat tricky as the shader must be coordinated with the object position and the object size of the plain it is used on. The sky consists of a dozen plains with a transparent cloud texture.

For more details look here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=129598&b=8

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 02:11
Green Gandalf has a Water Shader? Where Where LOL

Did you ever use the image to memblock and memblock to image commands? I'm finding on some machines they seem whack.. might be a video card thing.. but so far an ATI and an Intel look WHACK for the bitmap fonts

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 02:25
Quote: "Did you ever use the image to memblock and memblock to image commands? I'm finding on some machines they seem whack.. might be a video card thing.. but so far an ATI and an Intel look WHACK for the bitmap fonts"

I'm not sure that those functions are dependent on the video card. I'm pretty certain that all images are maintained in system RAM and I'd assume the same for memblocks.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 03:22
Quote: "3d models in gimp. "

I have just read this thread and I couldn't help but notice this. How do you do that???? I thought gimp was a photo editor!

~~Its not about what you know, its about how you figure it out.~~
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 03:42
Quote: "I'm not sure that those functions are dependent on the video card"
maybe not but I have odd numbered sizes as the images are made on demand... I'm told the odd sizes might kill it! (Nvidea RULES!) Anyways... I'm trying to get that researched....

Quote: "Quote: "3d models in gimp. "
I have just read this thread and I couldn't help but notice this. How do you do that???? I thought gimp was a photo editor!
"

me too....

I think Tobi thinks I should google the water shader but I'm under the gun and trying to solve a lame problem in 2008 we shouldn't have to worry about!

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Search for the word "bumpmapper" here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=91453&b=1&p=17

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:30:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:30:46