Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Using .NET to Wrap FPSC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 05:17
Hi Everyone,
I am going to be purchasing FPSC at the beginning of June. I've been loving the demo so far and have to admit it is quite addicting

My question is this since I can not build the exe yet and have not had the chance to research further. Can the exe or config files (if any) be wrapped or changed through a .NET app?

I am thinking of building a loader that will allow the user to register the game (thus the reason to wrap the EXE somehow) and also through the loader I would like them to be able to set different variables (such as turning shading on or off or whatever may be editable through a config file).

Are these things possible? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm buying it regardless since I'm hooked already

Dapanther
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 08:39
These ideas are possible, and they even have been done by now.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 11:02 Edited at: 16th May 2008 11:04
It would be quite easy to build a loader actually, now that I think about it.
If you have Visual Basic, and if the game comes with a installer you could simply ask the user to specify the games folder.
Usually C:\Program Files\Company name\game name\GAME.exe")

So if you had a RUN game function inside the loader you could use this bit of code to open up the exe.

Or if you are making the user specify where the game is located in a text field you could:

Hopefully this helps

DevilMouse Developments Lead Designer/Programmer/Developer
dapanther
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 15:59
Thanks for the answers, I kinda figured the wrapping of the EXE would be pretty straight forward. I guess the more challenging side will be trying to do any custom configurations for the game. I guess I will find out more as time goes on Thanks again.

Dapanther
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 07:23
No problem man, welcome to the forums!

DevilMouse Developments Lead Designer/Programmer/Developer
G Myton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 22:21 Edited at: 17th May 2008 22:22
If you are using .net and visual studio you can just add a Process item from the toolbox, it give a greater degree of control.

Also you can change the menu via the SreamReader and TextReader classes in the .Net framework.

www.akiodigital.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 23:32:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 23:32:34