Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / exe. Won't work - black screen

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 01:01
Everything was fine with gdk except my wizards had gone. So I run the wizard tool from the gdk tools folder. I got the wizards back. I wrote a small program for a friend and when it was done I built the release version. When I tried to run it it just sat with a black screen. I tried some of my other projects - same thing, black screen; sometimes just stayed there, sometimes exited to windows after a second or two. From the VC IDE they run fine when debugging but neither the debug exe or the release exe will work if run on there own. It's not a media problem as the same problems appear if I make a small program with no media.

Any help would be much appreciated thankyou.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 04:36 Edited at: 18th May 2008 04:37
I would not rule out media, since a program with no media looks exactly the same as a program that cannot find its media. You should always check to see that media is found and loaded, and print a diagnostic message when the media cannot be found.

Next, when you run an app in the IDE...it is not in the project directory...its in the Release or the Debug directory. If you have accounted for that in your app by using a relative path, such as:
../media

Then, that is your trouble. You can remove the ../ part and the program will run as you expect.

A very good way to check this is to have your program print out the current directory when it starts.
waka324
Years of Service
User Offline
you will get black a black screen when no media is loaded as jinzai was saying. just move your .exe file one folder out, or your media into the same folder your .exe is in, and it should work fine. Had the same issue only moments ago.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 13:47
Its nothing to do with media.
I've tried just making a simple prog that shows an internaly created cube. It works fine when testing in IDE but won't work as standalone.
If I go into the debug folder of any of my old projects and run the exe. then they work fine. But if I recompile and run in the IDE then (they work ok in the IDE ) and then try to run the standalone I get a blank screen.
It all seems to have gone pear shaped since I ran the GDK wizards tool to get the project wizards back.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
can you try to reinstall gdk? this should give you both the wizards back, and fix any internal missing files.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 15:39
I did a system restore to before I ran wizard tool. Everything was back to normal. Ran wizard tool again and everything is working aok, including got wizards again.
I got a feeling my VC2008 was running when I ran wizard tool first time. Anyway all is fixed now and I can get on with making a £Million selling game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:26:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:26:04