Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Question: In general, what is a good number for the total amount of prefab buildings and/or segmented buildings in one level for FPSC?

-ABR
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 22:07
I'd recommend about 1 or two. If you are making big warehouse-like rooms, then yes, use a prefab or two. But use mainly segments.
Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 02:40 Edited at: 19th May 2008 02:42
If you mean how many possible prefabs you can fit into one level, then you can fill a whole level full of them, I think. The engine dies because of dynamic physics, not really segments.

If you mean how many segments can you jam into a level, it's a 40x40 grid, about 15 stories. Do the math.

If you mean how many segments can FPSC take, as many as you can cram in, I guess. Dynamic stuff and high poly stuff usually makes the engine struggle.

If you mean how many prefabs should you use, as little as possible. Use custom segment work, it looks much better then pre-set square rooms (the science lab is an exception, but predictable)

Though the segments should be basic, no complex poly counts or maps (diffuse maps may work, not sure 'bout normal maps, definitely no complex shaders).

My bad answer,
==MeZo

"Any gift can be great, no matter how small, because it's not the gift that counts, it's the meaning behind it"
"Heaven for climate, Hell for company"
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 05:15
Quote: "The engine dies because of dynamic physics, not really segments."

Not true. The engine dies because of large amounts of polygons being rendered and entity processing. In reality, the physics engine is rather fast. What's slow is AI processing. Collision is a major killer too. And prehaps the BIGGEST killer is characters - do you realize how many frames of animation are loaded FOR EACH CHARACTER? Most engines split animation data from the models so that the same animation data held in memory can be used for multiple characters. Even if you only use 1 type of character, it's duplicating the information in memory each time. Big waste, IMO.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 23:30:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 23:30:17