Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / part of 3d model being cut

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 07:20
Okay so Im working on a simple render at the moment of a Island with a bridge. simple right? well no matter what angle I view the island from, the part im facing is missing. i can see strait through...(image attached)

heres my source:

Your signature has been erased by a mod - please reduce it to 600x120

Attachments

Login to view attachments
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 14:15
In your modeller you need to flip the normals on the terrain or whatever it is that is being culled.

Microsoft Windows = BSOD
Microsoft XBOX 360 = RROD
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 01:05
What did you make it on? I know in Blender, I can see through the object too, so I just copy the object in the edit mode and move it down and to the side a little, but this doesn't work if you have a high poly object because it doubles your poly count.

Hope you figure it out!

~~Its not about what you know, its about how you figure it out.~~
Vesper103
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2008 04:39
I made it all in anim8or

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2008 14:17
Vesper103

Flip the normals on the terrain, this will solve the problem. The reason why GDK is culling the terrain is because it is inverted. So, the backface culling is taking place on the opposite side.

To test this before you fire up your modelling app you could do two things.

1) Disable backface culling by using dbSetObjectCull (WARNING - this is not recommended, because it will slow down your game when using more detailed meshes)

2) You could invert the whole model by calling dbScaleObject and use -100.0 (negative 100). This will however invert the bridge which at the minute seems to render ok, so after this the terrain will look ok but the bridge will not.

Neither of the above methods are fixes or permanent solutions, they are just ways to test if this is the problem.

Microsoft Windows = BSOD
Vesper103
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 05:52
I see. thank you for all your help . so basically from what I understand is gdk is seeing the front as the back? and since i cant see the back its hiding it from view to boost framerate?

Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Vesper103
It is possibly you are too close for the camera thy moving back if the object appears then you need to set your camera parameters

Codger

System
MacBook Pro
Windows XP Home on Boot Camp
Vesper103
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 06:21
i moved back, i tried a range between 10 "units" away from the object to around 3000(its only a tiny speck) so i know its not that.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 14:41
Quote: "I see. thank you for all your help . so basically from what I understand is gdk is seeing the front as the back? and since i cant see the back its hiding it from view to boost framerate?"

Yeah that's absolutely correct, it is culling the back faces or at least what it thinks is the back faces. So, flipping the normals in your modeller will solve it.

Microsoft Windows = BSOD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:23:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:23:00