Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Release builds don't work...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 08:23 Edited at: 23rd May 2008 08:34
OK, for my math project I created two games and a factor finder (but that is beside the point)... The two games I programmed in C++ w/ DGDK and the factor finder in VB6 (but that is again beside the point)...

The two games compile fine and run fine in debug mode... The release builds however are another matter...

Game one project name : eFighter
Game two project name : Debris Field

eFighter, when run in the IDE crashes right after loading objects... VC++ gives this error:

When run independently, the game crashes at the same place without the error message of course...

Debris Field does something similar... It does the same thing when run in the IDE and run independently... Everything before the GDK loop executes OK, I think... Then it does not continue... No error... Just sits on the loading screen...

Any ideas guys?.

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 08:35
// This post just to enable mailback...
Enable Mailback();

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 18:42 Edited at: 23rd May 2008 18:42
Most likely you have a pointer that is initialized to an address that doesn't belong to your application...address 0x00001b60.

Not too sure, but it looks like the pointer is assigned incorrectly, or uninitialized. That doesn't explain why it would work in debug, unless there is a different path of execution, or you are inadvertently relying of behavior of Windows or GDK in debug mode that is not present in release mode.

Sometimes, the output window will have some messages in debug mode warning you of actions that the OS/VC++ took to avoid a crash. Try running it in debug mode, and examine the output window. Alternatively, post up the bugged area of the code.
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 08:02
This is most likely a DX library problem... There is no other explanation... (Well there could be...)

I have three computers in my house... A PentiumIII desktop, a PentiumIV desktop, and a Core2Duo laptop... I do most of the development on my P4, and some on the laptop... I have DXSDK installed on the two dev computers and only DX runtime installed on the P3... Debug versions of both my games work on my dev computers while release versions don't... Release versions of both games work on the PIII computer but debug versions don't... Hmm... This is further confirmed by testing from my friend who has dx runtime but not dxsdk... Release versions worked fine for him while debugs didn't...

This is funny too... My friend reports the EXACT SAME problems running a debug build that I come across running a release build...

This leads me to conclude debug versions of DX are to blame...

But why is this happening? Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know how I could fix it?

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2008 01:22
Bump...

Anyone with answers? Anyone?

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 02:25
Re-bump...

ANYONE??? Even if you don't have answers could you PLEASE just reply and say you have no clue so we could come to SOME KIND of conclusion?

I would really appreciate it...

deadlyduck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 03:30
sorry, no clue

I had a stupid problem that my game ran on my development machine, but noone elses.

I even installed all the same drivers, etc. on one of my other comps, tried copying dll's over but nada, still crashed after loading but ran perfect on mine. *sigh*

Then my HD failed and I lost my source so I don't have to worry about it.

such is life hehe
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 17:49
I've pretty much run out of any ability to help in this regard. I have one workstation on which I have the same problem and can't figure it out despite having uninstalled everything and re-installed. What I do now is create a new project on another workstation and copy it over to the other using a thumb drive or copying to/from the network.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 17:54
I had this issue too.. and I basically loaded a DarkGDK demo, and did a release compile. Can you do that?

If so, go meticulously through the project properties of the demo gdk app that compiled successfuly (Release Area) and compare and adjust your own (release area).

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 02:34
So yeah... I made a release build of teh Game Level demo and ran and guess what... IT WORKED!
I tried the my game again but same thing...

So then as you suggested I meticulously analyzed all the properties and they were ALL the SAME...

Compiled again, ran didn't work... This is proving to be real hard to solve... but I can live with ti so long as I have SOME working kind of build... TY for the help...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:17:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:17:06