Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC Convention 2008

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 08:50
I've always said to go and fly by one day, but not this year. Financial situation and girlfriend stop me from attending in any way possible.

In any case, had a shot at those tshirts . (attached)

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120

Attachments

Login to view attachments
IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 11:11
Add 2 more bods from SuperNova Game Studios for the convention list - forms and deposits sent.

Good judgment comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience comes from bad judgment.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 12:22
Not yet decided what I'll be doing for my talk. I am contemplating creating a scene in DB Pro and adding a collection of special effects such as depth of field, soft shadows and bloom and then talking about how it's all put together. Any thoughts on this or any suggestions on topics you may be interested in?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 13:20
Quote: "I am contemplating creating a scene in DB Pro and adding a collection of special effects such as depth of field, soft shadows and bloom and then talking about how it's all put together. "

Sounds good to me.

I'd better ease back on the beer the night before though.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 16:09
tha_rami, like the third T-Shirt

IT Guru, my better half tells me we have your form & deposit - thank you.

IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 21:48
Thanks, your better half has confirmed via email. Looking forward to it!

Good judgment comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience comes from bad judgment.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 08:58
Quote: "tha_rami, like the third T-Shirt "

In that case we have the same taste. I was thinking of putting the one I like first, and the one I don't like as last, but I ended up having them arranged them backwards.

Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 02:58
Damn I want to go so badly!
Moving up to Middlesbrough in september for uni (computer games programming - YAY!) so I'm quite a bit closer, but money's tight naturally. I'll see if I can scrape something together tomorrow so I SHOULD be able to get the deposit off. If not, there's always next year...

Is there any specific agenda for the event, or is it all hush-hush until it begins?

Quote: "I'd better ease back on the beer the night before though."

Why on earth would you go and do a thing like that?! Mike's epic tech demo would do wonders for you the morning after a few beers

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 10:26
Quote: "Mike's epic tech demo would do wonders for you the morning after a few beers "

Yes, but someone has to be compus mentis...and it won't be Mike!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 12:21
@Terrorist Zero

I too am doing a Computer Games Programming degree at Teesside Uni (no doubt we will meet soon). I would be driving to the con so I can offer you a lift if you like. I know transport is the least expensive part of attending but it will help a little if you are interested.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 12:53
Quote: "@Terrorist Zero

I too am doing a Computer Games Programming degree at Teesside Uni (no doubt we will meet soon). I would be driving to the con so I can offer you a lift if you like. I know transport is the least expensive part of attending but it will help a little if you are interested."

But he is a terrorist!

Oh, and since when can cats drive cars?

You leave many a question unanswered

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 18:11 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2008 19:41
Quote: "But he is a terrorist!"

Don't worry, I'm tame

@Scraggle

That's awesome! Which year you in?
Thanks for the offer of a lift, I'll let you know a little nearer the date, in all likeliness I'd love a lift down.

Ima go down to the bank now to sort my life out and get this deposit sent, damn I hate bank holidays...

EDIT: DEPOSIT IN THE POST (should arrive around tuesday...)

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 23:45
Quote: "Which year you in?"

I will be starting 1st year in september.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 00:28
Quote: "I will be starting 1st year in september"

...but don't think he's acheived all he has and is still a teenager

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 01:25
Quote: "Yes, but someone has to be compus mentis...and it won't be Mike!"

Looks like we have a volunteer.

The rest of us can enjoy ourselves.

Quote: "@Scraggle

That's awesome! Which year you in?"

If Scraggle and Terrorist Zero are anything to go by it's going to be an interesting few years at Teesside - I hope the staff are prepared for what they've taken on ... and we'll all be watching.
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 02:01 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 02:03
Muahahaha!!!
It'll be totally epic at Teesside over the next few years, which by the way hosts Animex, an annual international animation and computer games festival which I'm sure quite a few of the guys here would be interested in.

Quote: "The rest of us can enjoy ourselves."

And damn well looking forward to it

Whatever happened to the t-shirts? There were like 3 then...nothing...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 14:56
I posted a few a while back, too.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 00:52
Would anybody who is going be interested in a coding contest? I was thinking along the lines of a game that used only ascii characters in its display. I saw a good game done in this way once (it was a racing game) and I would like to have a go at it myself.

Any thoughts on the subject of a coding contest?

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 03:08 Edited at: 28th Aug 2008 03:10
I am most intruiged by this contest of yours!
I'm interested in it and as long as a few others are as well, I'm game. (I'm game...geddit?! Oh dear I need to be hit...)
I like the idea of using the ascii characters, would present quite the challenge. ASCII would also completely reverse the emphasis on the latest graphics by using the most simple graphics, of which I think would be pretty damn awesome.

I'm up for it...anyone else?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 10:23
Count me out.

I don't think the convention is a place for coding challenges.
A coding challenge is running already on the forum, if you want to be a part of it then join in and be a part of it but why do it in a place that you are paying to attend?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 12:09
I tend to agree with Scraggle. For me the main point of the convention is to exchange ideas and discuss things in a way that is cumbersome via the forums. And, of course, meet "old" and new friends plus a few of these .

But some people would obviously like a coding challenge. Perhaps it could be an "out of hours" thing, set at the start of the Convention (Friday evening?) by Mnemonix for example (but then he'd have an unfair advantage?). Then those who wish to work on it can do so in their "spare" time without taking up convention time. The results can then be presented in a brief session later in the convention and a winner selected.

We had a challenge two years ago and for me the best part was seeing what the others had done - I wasn't so sure about the coding itself taking up part of the convention time, but doing so for the final judging was fine.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 15:22
I can confirm there will be a new presenter this year. I don't know how much I'm allowed to divulge because this is part of a bigger project, but it will be a well executed presentation about making games in DarkGDK.

The oldbies around here may remember Grant Clarke aka GeeCee3. His talk will include some nice demos and how they are acheived. if you didn't experience the talents of Grant the first time around, check out Nanopod

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 17:45 Edited at: 28th Aug 2008 17:45
I haven't quite decided what to talk about yet. I'm thinking of doing something on optimizing, like how the collision DLL cuts out many polygons from the calculations.

But I could cover anything I've worked on (AI, collision, store, etc) so if anyone has a good idea about what they'd like to hear I'll consider it
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 18:16
omg!! thats me.

Lock up your beer, and fill my pint glass with women....er, you know what I mean.

Yes Steve my good man, I'll be at my first convention this year, it should be a lot of fun and plenty of conversation about the fine art of games programming, tricks and tips. Marvelous stuff!

WOOOOOO, NAPOLEON ON A MOPED!!! etc.

cheers, now i have to get back to the rubber room and do some code.

Ohd Chinese Ploverb say : Wise Eskimo, not eat yerrow snow.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 19:21
Is anybody else thinking it's a bad idea to put Grant and Ravey in the same city?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 20:23
Quote: " if you didn't experience the talents of Grant the first time around, check out Nanopod "

Just tried it. Nice - and my machine is way below the minimum specs. Of course, my machine might fail at the later stages - but then I never reach those anyway.

Quote: "Is anybody else thinking it's a bad idea to put Grant and Ravey in the same city?"

Why pick on them?
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 20:47
Geecee3 is the go to guy on creating arcade style visual effects and games that just look fantastic. Over the past couple of years we have learned a lot from each other thanks to the IRC chat.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 17:14 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 17:14
After reading the latest news letter and seeing what Lee is planning on doing at the weekend. I think we should get Mike to get the same features into DarkGDK as well

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 18:49
Lee might end up adding more bugs by the end of the weekend!

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 19:28
Hmm, beer + coding + beer = I hope you have a decent source control system with a breath test before you can check things in

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 22:46
Quote: "Hmm, beer + coding + beer = I hope you have a decent source control system with a breath test before you can check things in "

Why should the convention be any different from standard procedure?
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 00:13
I will forward my recommendation for a MakeGame command to be added to the library of functions in DBP. 2 days for the TGC team should be ample time for them to add this functionality

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 09:44
Has it gone? It used to be there!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 10:54
Come on Mnem ... you have been around a while. Surely you are aware of the Make Game command!

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 11:56
@BatVink : Are there free places for "Full Weekend Rate - £180" available ?

Hi all, can someone see me a good way to go from Londres Stansted to leeds ? Cos, if I can came, I've found a traveil via Ryanair.com (low cost) and it can only bring me to london ...

Regards,
Fred
Odyssey-Creators

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 13:25
Yes Freddix, there are still rooms available.

I don't know if this helps, but Megabus / Megatrain do cheap travel...

http://www.megabus.com/uk/

It could be a long journey, a coach is 4 hours 15 mins.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 14:33
Yes I have seen that example of a make game command before

I was thinking of a version that actually worked and did a good job of it though , which, I am sure you will agree is very simple to code. Even for a monkey. Even for a monkey with no typewriter.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 18:56
We have been given a copy of MPL3D Solar System for everyone who comes to the con. I've used it, it's an impressive use of GDK.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_63.html#6

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 17:34
Also in the prize pot are copies of X-Quad from Freddix and Enhanced Animations from Ron Erickson

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 15:36
A copy of Leadwerks Engine has been thrown in as a prize by Josh Klint

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 19:38
All this generosity! I feel I should donate something ... so, here goes:
All attendees are free to download anything they like from my site, completely free of charge

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 21:09
...did I mention Ron also wants to make sure everyone at the con has a copy of EzRotate?

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 21:12
I've always wanted to go to this, but now... All this free stuff? I REALLY want to go now! ...... Too bad its nowhere near me. I am now sad.

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
www.threeswordsproductions.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 13:31
OK, twelve more prizes for the pot thanks to Rick's contacts at Focus, all PC games...

Peggle
Zuma
Juiced 2
Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander
STALKER
Rainbow 6
Ghost Recon
Settlers
Brothers in Arms
Star Trek Legacy
Settlers
Driver 3
King Kong

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 16:25 Edited at: 5th Sep 2008 16:26

Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 19:52
Quote: ""

Seconded

AMD X2 6400+ (3.2GHz) // K9A2 Platinum 790FX Mobo // 2GB Corsair RAM 1066MHz // Powercolor HD4870 512MB OC'ed
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 21:20
I think the way we'll work the prizes is like last year - throw the name badges in a hat and keep drawing until they are all taken.

I'm planning on putting together a CD/DVD of content too - things no game maker should be without. Scraggle has said it's ok to put all his planets and bitmap fonts on there as a nice little archive. This will probably be a work in progress all the way to the con, so bring a blank CD or two with you.

For those who've never been before - there's about a 50/50 split of people who bring equipment with them - laptops etc. Some show off their wares, some just can't bear to leave them behind. There's always someone willing to load up your stuff on their machine if you can't bring kit, but want to bring a CD or USB stick.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 22:06
I wasn't sure before, but I should be able to attend. Is booking in a week pushing it too much? I might have to drive this time though

Come see the WIP!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 00:55
Cash, you'd be more than welcome. We'll keep taking bookings until the centre says they have no rooms. We were lucky last year, it was pretty quiet room-wise. I don't know what their other groups are this year (more singing before lunch again?)

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 13:34
Will be great to see you there Cash Curtis II.

I have finally managed to come up with the money for the convention, so I will be booking as soon as it clears

I'm always skint!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:30:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:30:55