Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / i need help on how to make 2d games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 17:38
im new to this (actually downloaded it last night), and i was wondering if anyone could help me on how to make 2d games. i already tried the wizard but it was to confusing. please help!!!

Mess with the best, Die like the rest.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 02:34
Read through, and complete, all the tutorials that come with DarkGDK. Using the knowledge you learned from those tutorials, try and do it on your own.

Then, once you have a) completed the tutorials and b) at least attempted to do it on your own, come here for specific questions you need answered.

Tutorials are located in Start Menu -> All Programs -> The Game Creators -> Dark GDK -> Tutorials

Cheers.

Tux is my guildmaster.
Guardian 120
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 03:30
thanks, m going through them now. they dont really tell you how t make scroll bar type games or whatever they are called. like the old 2d prince of persia and stuff. could you help me with that.

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 05:55
Quote: "they don't really tell you how t make scroll bar type games or whatever they are called"

And you're not likely to find such detailed information. It takes books worth of material to explain that sort of approach. It's not a simple matter of using a drag and drop system to create the games. You better know the language you're programming in and you need to know the theory behind game creation in general.

Don't restrict your search for a tutorial just to these forums. Look elsewhere on the web. Be prepared to read a lot of stuff you don't think you'll need. And most of all, don't be impatient. It takes a while before you're ready to churn something out.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 11:15
Indeed, as Lilith said, there is no set way to make a game. You take a concept and your programming skills and put them together!

For instance, there is one tutorials, Dark Invaders I think it's called, that "scrolls" up. Isn't a sidescrolelr pretty much the same, except going sideways? Once you learn how to manipulate 2d images with Dark GDK, you'll have a good idea how to apply concepts to what you want to do.

Also, make sure you check out the normal DarkBASIC Pro tutorials. There are alot more of them, and it is a pretty simple process to convert them to DarkGDK.

Cheers

Tux is my guildmaster.
Guardian 120
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 18:23
Thanks for all your help, im almost done with te tutorials im i am readng up on c++. thanks again!

Guardian 120
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2008 05:09
T was thinking of making a game like this, http://www.miniclip.com/games/motherload/en/

would i use the same scrolling backdrop or what.
I think the controlls would be the same fro movement but not sure, any help is appreciated.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:15:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:15:09