Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Help with a 2D Game? I think

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, for the subject I didn't know how to label this question.

I need help with some theory/coding for this kind of game.

I'm making a basic space game where you are a Upside Down triangle that fires 16x1 red lines in front of you.

I have just finished my ammo system(Not the old school style text in the picture), and then realized that I wanted to take a specific path with this game. If you have ever played a game like stick arena. They have one big map, that the stick person cannot see anything other than the current screen size, but can still shoot off screen to hit/kill someone. I want to implement this into my game, but I can't seem to figure out what to do. If anyone has any information/questions please post.
Spooter
Years of Service
User Offline
For some reason it posted before I was done...

The only thing i thought of is using 2D map arrays since I don't mind if the background that the ships fly on is just plain black ground, plus some simple upgrade tiles laying around the place. I read from the post "A Dark RPG - errors" and he is using the zelda style map wrapping and i think i might use something like that, but make it a little bit more free gliding than how it just plain out stops, moves the screen than you continue playing.
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 19:36 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2008 19:36
ok, I'm guessing your coding in straight c++. No api or game engine (that or dx/open gl). If so you still have data for each object off screen no? So why can you not check for intercept?
Spooter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 02:28 Edited at: 4th Jun 2008 02:29
Sorry if I didn't straight my question very well. I am not coding in straight c++ because dark gdk uses directx(and i'm moving to my own SDK written with directx. I actaully don't have data off screen that is my question. How to I draw stuff off screen, or the other option how do i only draw a portion of the screen, and I haven't work much with collision, so i can't check for intercept because i don't know how. I hope you better understand my problem.

/*================================================*\
| Lead Programmer/Owner===============Anti-Triangle Cult=====|
\*================================================*/
elantzb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 01:55
This is an open space game, correct?

How do you want to control this "path" that you want the game to follow?

I'm not sure how you would want to work that in a space game.

I wouldn't suggest using a tiling system for such a game. You could easily create powerups ans enemies in random places on initialization of each level.

What I'm going to suggest is a game that appears to have a path, similar to that of the Dark Invaders example, with some story elements thrown in to make the game appear more linear.

Did I help?
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Check this out. free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 23:31:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 23:31:13