Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / General Graphics in C++ without an SDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been looking on the internet on how to draw images in c++, but their is literally no answer. Is it only possible with an SDK? I want to move away from other SDKs and create my own, but it seems impossible to create my own SDK when I can't even draw graphics to the screen without one. If someone has informations on how drawing graphics in only plain c++, please post.

Thanks
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure you can.

Start here:

http://www.drunkenhyena.com/cgi-bin/dx9.pl
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 10:46
You can indeed using an API like openGL or DirectX. The reason most don't is because the API is the barebone interface for graphics and the like, so there is not much additional functionality.

I've been writing a graphics engine in OpenGL. It's great, I like it alot more than DirectX, which I dabbled in before choosing openGL. If you are interested in OpenGL over DirectX, here is Nehe's Tutorials.

I would advise against using the API over an SDK if you plan on doing anything extensive. Here is a link to the thread I was using to discuss my engine, may help, may not, but it's there if you want it; Designing a Rendering Engine

Cheers mate, good luck!

Tux is my guildmaster.
Spooter
Years of Service
User Offline
Appreciate posts, I'll look into it.
Spooter
Years of Service
User Offline
What does DarkGDK use?
kBessa
Years of Service