Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / dbInk() Slows graphics refresh a LOT

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 18:08 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2008 16:33

When using the 2D GDK command dbInk() I noticed my system timings go out the door -- ScreenFPS whent down from 58FPS to 29FPS so did the timing of the main loop 16ms to 33ms. Mainly as I was changing the font ink colour within the graphics loop. I decided not to do this kind of stuff if you want fast graphics. The same is true of changing the font or its size within the refresh loop. I hope this is helpful for people new to the Dark GDK like me....

For the forum reply:
I was simply using dbText() to draw text to the display, but having differing backdrops I needed to change the foreground ink. The problem is not a bug me thinks as its timing is attributable to changing the dbInk(). No problem when user is in dialogue mode say, with a popup window, but I exclude ink and font changes from the main graphics loop..
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
how often are you using dbInk() per loop?

On my vista notebook there is a strange 30 fps bug. Sometimes the framerate drops from 60 to 30 fps without a particular reason. Maybe you have a similar problem.

FINAL VERSION RELEASED!!!!
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 23:32
Can we see some code? What are you doing with your code? Are you using dbDot to draw something?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 22:57
I poured ink on my old pc once - then I had to buy a new one - NEVER AGAIN! Just as well though - I had all that white-out on my screen anyways!

Seriously, if you can nail the speed issue to dbInk - I'd be surprised - but not floored - however you might find using a bitmap font implementation might be helpful. I have one, and I learned how to do it for variable fonts by reading a DarkBasic article on it.

Fonts actully are "painted" and that isn't super slow, not super fast... but I would expect the lag your saying.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:18:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:18:19