Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Which version - FPSC or X10?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 17:09
I have FPSC 1.09 now and love it, but I see things in X10 that I really like too. I am developing a game and need to know if I should wait until I upgrade my comp and get X10 to start making it or are there things coming soon for FPSC that will be similar.

I have heard Vista is not great and I really like working with XP...

Please tell me the plans for FPSC and approximate time frames so I can figure out what to do...

Thanks

TechGirl
(Yes, I'm really female!)
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 17:25
In my personal opinion, Vista is fine. Granted, I have enough power in my computer to run Crysis on very high, so speed isn't a problem Plus I have Vista Ultimate, and I'm not sure how different that is from the regular home version.

As for FPSC X10 - FPSC X9 will be getting X10 features such as ragdolls and DarkAI during the "migration" update. Lee has stated that it will not get the new shaders such as bloom, but those can be added with 3rd party mods.

TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 17:51
Thanks for the info. As for the 3rd party mods, the ones I have found are not for commercial use...

The graphics card I will be getting is the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (512), hope that runs good (along with a Quad 2.66 processor).

TechGirl
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 17:55
AirMod will be for commercial and non-commercial use, however it doesn't focus on graphics

castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 19:27 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2008 19:29
well if your planning on making a commercial game there are some ups and downs for each program

1. FPSCX10 has better graphics and has lots of cool features

2. A lot of computers are not good enough to run games made with FPSCX10

3. FPSCX10 does not have the same license as FPSC V1 in X10 you have to buy a $1000 dollar license if you make more then $5000 dollars

4. FPSC V1 does not have the best graphics BUT most computers can run it.

5.The license is completely free.

6. The FPSC V1 migration is hopefully going to be this year and that will make it better.

7. There is more free media for V1 then there is for X10

Hope that helped some

"The Beginning is the end."
TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 20:31
castek, thanks for your imput. Those are exactly the things I am weighing in making my decision. For me, the biggest thing is having higher end graphics and advanced AI.

But then again, I weigh the other side of who can run the game when it's done.

I just wish there was more media available for X10. Hopefully, the skilled modelers on this board might update their stuff for X10. That would be very much appreciated (and credited in game)

Thanks

TechGirl
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 00:57
Hi TechGirl

Yep, no doubt about it. If your primary interest is graphics and AI then you need to be looking to get FPSC X10 as these 2 areas are probably the most improved from FPSC X9.

DarkAI will be going into FPSC v2 but not on the graphics side of things. In fact if you want to even attempt using shaders in your game then you'll need FPSC X10 because the X9 ones are quite limited.

If you go for the available mod options in FPSC X9 you will be limiting yourself to a version of the software that the source code was last released for. The most recent source is v1.07 and we're now on v1.10 beta. Also as you've seen the graphics based mods are not for commercial use.

The AI in FPSC X10 is actually a lot better than X9. Its very flexible and allows for classes of AI i.e. friendly, neutral and enemy which once combined can be very interesting.

Nomad

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 02:05
Quote: "very flexible and allows for classes of AI i.e. friendly, neutral and enemy which once combined can be very interesting."

I wish it had a kill-everything class

Personally I kinda wish DarkAI has team numbers rather than ally/enemy. That way you could assign a team number to a unit, and theoretically have as many teams as you want, and be able to set the player's aswell. So you could have soldiers who will fight both you and zombies, for example.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2008 00:25
Quote: "So you could have soldiers who will fight both you and zombies, for example."

I thought maybe neutral characters using DarkAI would react to both player and enemy interactions i.e. if caught in enemy fire will attack enemies also.

I like your idea though. The faction premise would be awesome so you could have different races and allies etc.

Maybe something for the Airmod ?!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2008 01:06
Unfortunetly it's DarkAI itself that limits the teams. And neutral doesn't attack, they are supposed to just avoid combat (although they just seem to stand there in X10 - but in the DarkAI demos they will run away when you start dueling with an enemy). There is theoretically a way to force a unit to become a target, designed for things like free-for-all, so if I ever get access to a version of the source with DarkAI I'll be sure to see about doing that

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 01:26:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 01:26:15