Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / MMORPG Advice needed.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there. This is my first post here =]

Well, I\'m thinking of making a MMORPG, I haven\'t been using DGDK long. But i really want to get into the game development business. MMORPG\'s interest me the most in game development. So i figured it would be the best place to start. All i\'m asking really is for some general advice =] Thanks =]

=]
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2008 22:19
Don't do it.

If you want to make an RPG, you'd better start small, perhaps not even in 3D. Everyone who comes here, it seems, is on a mission to make an MMORPG, but the fact is that you'd not only need a team to do it, you'd need an efficient server system, and the network capabilities that this language lacks.

You are in for more work than you can even imagine. Try something simple, like a pong clone or tetris.

My site, for various stuff that I make.
Jae
Years of Service
User Offline
I was expecting this reply, and thanks for it. I was reading this article somewhere about this MMORPG. The guy has spent like 5 years on it and its no where near done. I think i will just start small like you said.

Oh, another question. Are the following programs worth it;
T.Ed, Treemagik, plant life and dark matter ?

Thanks for all your help =]

=]
CAJUN57
Years of Service
User Offline
Well if you use multisync it wouldnt be to difficult for a good server

The South Will Rise Again Software Development Comp.
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 20:29
Yeah, but how do you use multisync Lol.

Quote: "Oh, another question. Are the following programs worth it;
T.Ed, Treemagik, plant life and dark matter ?"

Depends, what do you want to make? 3D models? I would say, stick with the free stuff, I use blender and I have seen people make AMAZING things with it.

IT doesn't really matter what program you use, it is how you use it.

(Need a Name)
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 23:52
@Jae,

I've seen those posts everywhere too. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but I've seen them.

My answer to your question is, what is your skill level. Are you very proficient at C++? Do you have knowledge and experience with MySQL and dealing with SQL querries? How are you with networking, encryption and security?

If you can say that you are experienced in these areas, then you have a chance to make a good MMORPG within a few years, and I would suggest starting with a single player RPG. If that turns out good, make it multiplayer. If that works out well, then take it MMO.

I'll qualify all of this by saying that I have 25 years of experience programming in 12 languages, and have been working on my own MMORPG for the last 18 months.

By the way, since you're already working with C++, I wouldn't go with Multisync for an MMO. I'd use RakNet. It has lots of built in features that help you overcome problems in LAG, encryption, and security.

If you are much newer to programming and don't yet have the skills mentioned above, then definitely start with something small. Pong is ok, but Asteroids is better.

dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
First off, I would hate using DGDK as a MMORPG dev engine. Yes, it is a game engine, but its main purpose is to serve single-player development (though it has MMOG play functions in it). I'm combining the power of a program called "Realm Crafter", a fantastic MMOG engine, with DGDK.

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 16:28
It is possible to make a MMORPG in DGDK. It just need planning... and a lot of it.

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
lol! True. And you have to be very smart when it comes to DGDK also.

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 03:45
Man, never gets old =P

Tux is my guildmaster.
Jae
Years of Service
User Offline
@KISTech

After taking these things into account, I am proficient in C++ and MySQL but not so at networking. I wil probably do as you said by making it single player, then multiplayer then MMo as you said/

Thanks everyone for replies.

=]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 23:34:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 23:34:38