Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is L Real?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 22:21
Now there's an old Mario 64 hoax known as "L is Real", the in-game clue to there being luigi in the game. Now, i never believed in all this hoax crap, but for once, i decided to look at the statue in-game.

Now i'm confused. It actually does look like nintendo put "l is real" on the statue to stir up trouble.

Please check out my WWII Media Pack 1 FPSC thread... http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131014&b=3&p=0

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol when i clicked on this thread i though you ment l from Death Note. But back on topic i cant see the picture just a download option. Im not sure if it real or not i have an n64 emulator some were would be intrestign to see
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 23:54 Edited at: 8th Jun 2008 23:56
Apparently its a sign..
L=Luigi.
is Real means Luigi is Real, and there is some number which is 2401, the date apparently when Paper Mario for the N64 came out. So Feburary 4th 2001. It basically means Luigi is Real on Feburary 4th 2001.

Also it could mean it was a game idea of-which the developers was going to put in if you collected 2401 coins you unlock Luigi. But this is where the Hoax gets stranger. In Zelda Orcina of time in the Dondongo Caverns it has the same message. I got all of this from this chat..
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1191/t310690-know-real-2401-means/

Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 00:08
When I saw this topic I thought Death Note lol.
I dont think it has any meaning. They probably put it there to screw with people.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lol when i clicked on this thread i though you ment l from Death Note."

I know! Me too. I was intrigued by the possibility of a real genius working as a detective.

Yay for easter eggs in games. I like finding those =] It's like finding historic sites around the country. You feel honored or something. I don't know, it's weird.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 01:23
I'm sorry, that last word looks more like "star" than "2401". Seeing as it is a statue of a star, I believe the former to be more probable. It's like one of those odd drawings; you see what you want to see.

I fail at life. No, really.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm sorry, that last word looks more like "star" than "2401". Seeing as it is a statue of a star, I believe the former to be more probable. It's like one of those odd drawings; you see what you want to see."

If its start, it could be a sign as Luigi is playable in Super Mario Galaxy, Galaxy corresponds to stars.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 19:00
Quote: "Galaxy corresponds to stars."

Well, if I recall, Mario 64, the whole point was to collect stars.

Hurray for teh logd!
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:16
I remember when I was first all into Mario64, there were myths flying all over the place about unlocking Luigi and stuff. I tried them all, they never worked, never saw someone who was able to do it, never saw a screen shot. Nothing. I until someone does it in front of me and shows me that you can unlock luigi on M64, I won't believe it.

[center]
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:22 Edited at: 9th Jun 2008 21:52
There it is, you have it.

Hurray for teh logd!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:30
Thats DS version.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:43
There were a lot of screenshots going around that were fake.
You can play as luigi using some gameshark hacks for palette and scaling.

I saw a HUGE cheat for unlocking luigi I tried many times but failed at many times a long time ago due to some simple mistakes, like losing count and such. But when I think about it today, it doesn't seem likely that there would be cheats that span multiple levels and worlds in such a simple game.

I don't believe "star" would correspond to Super Mario Galaxy considering the length in the release dates.

Paper Mario seems more likely, but perhaps "L" doesn't refer to Luigi at all, perhaps it refers to Link. There was a message saying "M is Real" in one of the Zelda games, if I recall correctly. I never saw it myself, only read about it.

Cheers,

-naota

"I used to do a lot of time travelling when I was younger. I called it 'ta-kwee-la' You would drink this potion and wake up 3 days in the future!" - Craig Ferguson
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There was a message saying "M is Real" in one of the Zelda games, if I recall correctly. I never saw it myself, only read about it.
"

Ah yes the Oricina of time. As I said before.
Quote: "In Zelda Orcina of time in the Dondongo Caverns it has the same message."

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:54
Quote: "Thats DS version."

You had to ruin my fun

Hurray for teh logd!
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:55
Where is the message in Dodongo Cavern?

Please check out my WWII Media Pack 1 FPSC thread... http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131014&b=3&p=0
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah it's in Dodongo's Cavern. It's on the second floor of the main room, right next to the switch that makes the pillar elevate to the second level.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 00:52
Well on one of the Final Fantasys (I think the first one) you go to an Elven Village and a grave is marked 'Here Lies Link'. Found it amusing first time I saw that.

But it's speculation and rumours that really doesn't matter - it's like all of these theories on FFVII that you can make Aeris come back, well without hacking the game you can't. Sometimes messages are there just for fun, just like Link's grave in FF. Though the problem with Mario 64 is the the message is too low of a resolution to make out.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 02:41
Quote: "Well on one of the Final Fantasys (I think the first one) you go to an Elven Village and a grave is marked 'Here Lies Link'. Found it amusing first time I saw that.
"

that's pretty funny...

@Jerico2day - nice try

[center]
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 13:11
Perhaps Square dint like Link

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I would think that if it was real it would have surfaced after 10 plus years. What a great game though, I remember I was the first in my college dorm to get all the stars.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 20:08
I've heard of this before, i can't even make out the bloody text.
It's most likely that they just made squiggles or random letters and because of the really small texture quality it looks like some kind of conspiracy.

Then again, who cares?

Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's most likely that they just made squiggles or random letters and because of the really small texture quality it looks like some kind of conspiracy."

There is one thing wrong with your theory, if they are just random squiggles how did so many people make it out to be the same thing, if it were random there would be numberous suggestions saying that it is different from what everyone is saying. IDK though I go with the paper mario idea.

do you love video games a lot ¿¿¿ then comeon down too game zone252 @ http://www.freewebs.com/gamezone252/
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 22:29
Quote: "There is one thing wrong with your theory, if they are just random squiggles how did so many people make it out to be the same thing, if it were random there would be numberous suggestions saying that it is different from what everyone is saying. IDK though I go with the paper mario idea."

The same reason why this is the big dipper:

http://my.execpc.com/60/B3/culp/astronomy/fig/BigDipper.gif

And not a horse drawn carriage.

Hurray for teh logd!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 23:02
Quote: "Perhaps Square dint like Link"

Heh, I suppose at the time Zelda was their biggest competitor.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Or we could use some kind of super scaling algorithm to blow up the texture bigger, like in Alien Skin Blow Up, a filter for Fireworks and Photoshop.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Damnit! I was just about to come in and say that L is real and that I am indeed him. But apparently you weren't talking about Death Note.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 12:18:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 12:18:25