Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / dbLoadBSP not working...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 03:08 Edited at: 10th Jun 2008 13:38
First-chance exception at 0x00000000 in Engine Base.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in Engine Base.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

I get this error when using dbLoadBSP. It does it with any combination of use, such as (".pk3",".bsp") or just ("",".bsp"). I noticed another thread about this but it just fizzled out back in may so I didn't respond. The command works great in DarkBASIC though.

Is the DarkGDK not meant to use bsp type maps out of the box? I notice they eliminated the Animation routines as well. I wish it had all the functionality I was used to in DB but it's lacking a few features that I wanted from DB...

I have an update, I used the example in samples folder for game levels. The ikzdm1.pk3 seems to work fine. I tried putting just my .bsp file in that package and then calling that file but I got a corrupt stack error. It occurs at address 0x7C901230 while doing an interrupt 3 instruction in ntdll.dll. I would need to know a list of 3rd party software that can cause this as something might be messing up the functionality of that kernal library.

That must mean there is a problem with the format with which I create my .pk3 file for use in DGDK. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of file types and memblocks for use in DGDK? I keep running into the problem of not understanding how memblocks and certain file types work in DGDK.

I used this in my code to test the working results and had the media folder from the "World" Sample in the project folder.

My question now is how do I set up a pk3 or .bsp to work correctly?
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 21:01
You're not the only one to get this. It seems to be a problem related the map file, becuase 2 have worked for me. I think you should first make sure your map does not reference any textures that it will not be able to find. if you did this in a normal id tech engine it would jsut give a blank texture, but GDK doesnt like them at all.
MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 23:28 Edited at: 14th Jun 2008 00:55
I've been able to get a map working but only from inside a pk3 file. I made a tag file in gtkrad and it seemed to find all my textures for me and upon .bsp compilation I get no errors and the map kinda shows up It still throws the corrupt heap but that's most likely because the opposite triangle seems flipped on all of the geometry in the map causing leaks and HoM effect. I think I saw a thread on how to fix that while searching for this problem.

I'm using gtkradient but I would probably rather use blender to create all of my 3d stuff as I've been using it since 1999. I'd love to know how I can do that or any way to get a good looking level or world created only using the collision functions in dgdk. I would build a level and just import it as an .x but there seems to be very limited lighting in DGDK and I have to have more than a few lights in my world.

update:
I've had some success with using .dbo type worlds but the collision is a bit wonkey. For instance I made a hollow box like room with no top yet it acts like it has a top. This was made in 3d world studio as a hollowed box with the top part deleted. I also noticed that Auto collisions don't work too well. I may just have to work with it a little, but it falls into the same problem where if I try to go inside of the box It still seems to have an invisible roof. Maybe the geometry is still there in memory but didn't get deleted however only visually?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 23:32:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 23:32:51