Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK Networking Tutorial?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there anywhere I could find a tutorial on networking with GDK? I want to write an MMO-style game (maybe with 8 players or so on a good day?) so I need to be able to connect to a server, verify login account info, and then post/receive every space ship's variables...
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 03:43
you are going to need multi-sync, the built in networking system of darkGDK doesn't work....

I don't know any tutorials, I would like one too, I am not sure how to use multi-sync. I am also makeing a MMO game, though it is an FPS and I am working with 2 other people.

Good Luck on the game!

(Need a Name)
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
So basically I have to use another API, and you recommend multi-sync? Is that a good networking API? Thanks for the recommendation! Also is there a super-easy-to-use API that I should try instead? Oh well, I'll go peruse "Multi-Sync"...
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
Just an update, the only multi-sync I can find is a calendar synchronization program???
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 04:00
First- hahahahaha!!!!!

Try benjamin's multisync, you should get better results.

(Need a Name)
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
I found this site, but it's only for DarkBasic...not DarkGDK?

http://gamegeeks.jarekull.se/html/multisync.htm

Is there a DarkGDK (C++) version?
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 04:19
I think it is the same thing. multi-sync works with GDK, so the tutorial will work ether wway

(Need a Name)
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 06:54
For a max of 8 players you aren't making an MMORPG you're making an MORPG. Subtle difference I know, but it's important around here.

Multisync will do well for you. 8 players shouldn't have any issues with Multisync, and it's easy to use.

There's a thread for it in the "Program Announcements" forum. Go there and you'll see the thread for Multisync.

aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't say a MAX of 8, just that on a good day that's about how many players an indie MMO is going to get. It would be nice if it scaled...but that's not a big deal. I'll go check out multisync!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 10:42
Ah, my mistake.

You might be surprised at the audience that an indie MMO can pull in. Google "Minions of Myrth" and check it out. It was written using the Torque Gaming Engine and last I heard they had about 9,000 players or so.

It all depends on the content, and how fun the game is.

If you want to make an MMO, since you're already using GDK, which means access to anything that C++ can access, then you might have a look at RakNet for networking. It gives you all the features you could ever hope for in making an MMO. Multisync at the moment may be able to handle a few dozen players, but you'll hit it's top speed pretty quickly if you go over that. RakNet should be much faster, and gives you both TCP and UDP to work with.

sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 17:32
Quote: "you are going to need multi-sync, the built in networking system of darkGDK doesn't work...."

Can any one confirm this ? Is there a link?

The networking functions for DGDK look to be the windows DirectPlay functions packaged in a simpler format within DGDK functions.
I can not imagine this getting broken.

"multi-sync" looks very easy, but it is only TCP rather than UDP and that basically makes it non-usable as a solution over the internet for most games. (but fine for private networks)

I just don't want to spend time trying to use the DGDK networking functions at a later time if it is really broken.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 23:33:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 23:33:41