Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Basic Map Ideas

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
While I'm waiting for FPS Creator to arrive in my mailbox, I wouldn't mind giving people ideas as to what their maps could look like. I design levels in paint, using boxes like the real FPS Editor. I would really enjoy helping you out with your map, as long as you put me down in the credits, of course. An example of my work is attached. Enjoy!

Trying to learn.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 21:51
When did you order it? Did you get the email that's mentioned in the download info link that gives you an FTP login to download it?

ekeak
Years of Service
User Offline
I did, but I didn't think I'd have to. I'll try it.

Trying to learn.
ekeak
Years of Service
User Offline
It doesn't work, it's a problem with my connection, not the file server or anything. It's the same with youtube videos... it'll load them partially then stop. My guardians won't check it out b/cause they don't understand anything about technology. They don't know they're getting ripped, especially when we're paying for cable. Internet Explorer works, and that's ok with them so they don't care about downloads ect... anyway, anyone interested?

Trying to learn.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 23:46
What is it you do that we can't do ourselves?

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 09:11
Quote: "What is it you do that we can't do ourselves?"

That was a bit rude imho, he's trying to serve the community with something he can do.

@ ekeak: Please make a bit more clear what the coulours mean. A level sketch could contain many information besides the architecture, like enemy (waypoint) information, weapons/ammo location, objectives etc.

There is a really must-read sticky on level design in the game theory board, fueled by tinkergirl, she has lots and lots useful tips on the matter.

Regards

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
ekeak
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought someone would ask something like that, and yes, this technique can be very helpful at times although many could do it themselves. Here's what the colors mean: (attached)

Trying to learn.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2008 09:40
Now that i can "read" your map design i can gove you some comments on it:
1) The map is to much straightened out to my liking. I prefer forkings and alternative routes so the player can "choose" his way to a certain extent, giving him the illusion of free movement.
2)Confronting the player with 3 enemies on the opposite side of a room without a cover is as well much to obvious and overpowering. Combat is the main action in an fps scenario so try to set up situations more challenging and rewarding, like ambush, crossfire, one on one. Simply throwing me into a room with thre badies is like a shooting range.
3)3 enemies on one segment in front of a door, wow, that calls for an Indiana-Jones-3-in-a-row shot.
4)i killed 3 enemies to free the door just to get ambushed by 2 guys attacking me simultaniously from my left and right? your player will hate you for that one. After combat there must be: ammo, health, reward- and some time to breathe through. a freed door is nice but not if it leads to instant death.

Let the player battle the 3 doormen and then find a better gun for example. and after two or three short corridoors and rooms he'll face a boss that he just wouldn't have taken out without that new toy. Now include an alternative and more obvious way to the boss without having to pass the doormen, and you will have better gameplay:

The player will try to avoid the doormen just to get killed by the mighty boss (let him mock on the players "stick weapon" with audio).
In the next try, the player will take on the doormen and have his reward.

these are just some of my personal thougths to maybe help you improve your level design. Excuse me when i went over the top sometimes.

ekeak
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, for me, nothing short of insults are over the top and thanks for the input! I was planning on putting in some crates and stuff... but not putting that in the basic map design image. Although the rooms may look empty, they will be filled but only after the basic map is created. And I will try to remember that about free movement. How many alternate routes would you advise? ??

Trying to learn.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2008 23:40
Just a forking here and there, so the player has to decide:
"Will i take this broad, well lit corridor or this nasty, dim and narrow cellar stairs"....Not knowing that both roads lead to the same spot where you want to have him or that the easy way gets blocked by the debris of a broken down ceiling for example. But i guess you already have the picture. You could also fork a corridor just to lead both ends together later on, and hide some ammo on one of the two routes...which is also a good way to let your map appear larger than it is actually. Rerouting your player is also possible, like he has to walk down a dead end to flip the switch for a door somewhere in the level and on his way back encounter an enemy that he triggered, just to let the way back be less boring...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 01:31:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 01:31:29