Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Any Way To Decrease Lag With Characters?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 22:04
Whenever I have more than two or three characters in a close proximity to the character, the game slows down considerably and the frame rate goes below ten. Is there any way to have more characters around me with so much lag, AND is there any way for me to have so that multiple characters will attack me, instead of them taking their time? I don't have a huge problem getting two characters; but is there something I can do to have three baddies shooting at me? One more thing; is this because of my computer and it's not too impressive specs, or is it just that the program can't handle too many characters being rendered at once?

Thanks for your input!
5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "One more thing; is this because of my computer and it's not too impressive specs, or is it just that the program can't handle too many characters being rendered at once?"

FPSC isn't known for its speed.
But its proberly your computer AND FPSC

Vist freefungames.co.cc for free online games you can play at school!
Also join our forums!
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 23:31
To get all the characters to attack you, set the "Always active" property when you right click them to "yes". This will make your lag worse however.

I think I'm right in saying that most of the lag from enemies comes from the scripts, not the model quality. I've tried making 12 poly panels attack the player, and I still only managed to have 10 or under without the lag being unbearable.

Do a search for lag on the forum, I'm sure someone came up with a solution for the scripting lag.

Paul
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
I did some tests last year and found that a lot (not all) of the lag here is caused by the huge animation file loaded into each character. The animation length is 2498 frames.

I re-rigged a few characters with shorter animations (around 100 frames) and was able to add more than 10 times the number of characters as before, all things being equal. Since FPSC is designed to give you all options at once, the animation file must be this large to cover all options.

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkFact

Could you post a video of a small level with the extra charcters? I'd love to see them in action. I think for "public areas" such as a lobby or store setting etc. in games that would be a great option.

I have tried blending "static" characters with active ones for the illusion of a larger group but it still lacks something.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll have to recreate the characters because that test was around a year ago and I don't have them anymore. Of course, you can make the Extras as animated entities instead of actually Characters and save a lot of CPU calculations. They're just for looks though. You can script a death animation to make them seem like characters, though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 01:30:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 01:30:09