Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How to speed up the loading process.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 01:40
I have the code

When I debug it, it take FOREVER to load, and usually I don't have enough patients.

Is there a way of speeding up the process?

Global Warfare
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
Get a faster BUS for your video card? Or use smaller models? (Like PCI-Express x2 or something)
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 19:30 Edited at: 13th Jun 2008 19:33
That's why I quit being a doctor...not enough patients. (and the whole lack of a medical degree thing.)

Did you intend to set the sync rate at 5 fps?

You could get a little more out of it by keeping sync off until the load was complete...I think.

When you say debug...do you mean that you are building a debug version, and running that? (That loads up more DLLs on light off, and debug builds contain code for stopping and starting the code, and preserving states, registers, etc.) A release build would load noticeably faster.

Does this work at all?
int Ox = dbCameraPositionX (0);
int Oy = dbCameraPositionY (0)+1;
int Oz = dbCameraPositionZ (0);

I can't see how it would, its outside of your program, and I imagine if it is run at all, it would be before GDK is even running. I would expect an error, or at least a compiler warning.

You could keep the variables there, but not initialize them until a camera was available...in the game loop.

DBO format should load the fastest since there is no need to convert it.

Finally, load the models in succession without any intervening function calls...that groups the disk I/O close enough that you get some speed increase from that, too.
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 23:25
Quote: "int Ox = dbCameraPositionX (0);
int Oy = dbCameraPositionY (0)+1;
int Oz = dbCameraPositionZ (0);"

I think that might have been screwing up the entire thing...... Thanks!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 120 high maximum please

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 23:20:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 23:20:29