Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Making a 2d rpg in Dark GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm wondering how to start out to making a 2d rpg in Dark GDK because I'm fairly new to game programming. Would be nice if someone could tell me some basics of starting out.
Thanks, Tyler.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 21:53
I've started working on the same. I'll share what progress I've made and, hopefully, it will help.

First off, make sure you know C++. More than just the basics of data types and operators. Know all about classes, inheritance, and, if possible, templates.

Secondly, learn all of the basic sprite commands and such for the DarkGDK. Mess around and learn them. Go through all of the tutorials ( 3D and 2D ).

Thirdly, start getting an idea for how you will organize the program. For that, start by googling "2d tile system" or similar. I don't have links, at the moment, but you'll find plenty of results. They will be for other engines, but you will be able to figure out what commands to replace. Also, if it's any help, you can see the very early start I have on my own tile-based system here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131201&b=22

I hope that helps.
I LIKE CEREAL
Years of Service
User Offline
I know a tiny chunk of C++. I keep reading stuff about the things but for me I just can't take it over and just start typing the code to do what I want it to do.
I LIKE CEREAL
Years of Service
User Offline
Also I want it to be like real-time where you can walk around instead of just click on the tiles or squares, same with the fighting system just click a button and you see your guy slash the monster.
I LIKE CEREAL
Years of Service
User Offline
First place should I start with uploading bitmaps?
I LIKE CEREAL
Years of Service
User Offline
Also sorry for so many comments but do you have im so I can maybe go over some of this stuff with you?
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 03:09
I'm not sure exactly how much you understand of the world of C++ and OOP, so I'm just going to suggest a way you might want to look into to get you going with the GDK and your 2D RPG.

I think that the best approach to the situation is to sit down with a good foundation book on C++ to teach you at least the very basics. I started out with "SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours" which I grabbed for a few pennies a while back off ebay. A good investment I might add, for me anyway.

The next thing you should do is work your way through the tutorials included with the DarkGDK installation, and while they do concentrate towards the 3D functionality, it'll give you a feel for what the GDK will be like to work with.

From there I'd suggest looking through the documentation on the commands available to you (there's a help file with the install explaining the commands), and as you're looking at 2D games you might want to play around with the Image and Sprite commands, doing a few experiments with them. You can also always use tutorials designed for DBPro users, for example, in the codebase section of the website, since although it's a different language, most of the commands can be translated easily between the two (e.g. "Sprite" in DBPro is the same as "dbSprite()" in the DarkGDK). Finally when you're in doubt about a specific way of tackling a problem, the forum's the best place to ask.

I must go now, it's like 1:00am and I've got work in the morning, so I'll see if I can dig up some tutorials later.

I LIKE CEREAL
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been looking around the web reading things about C++.

Before I never really could get what some of the integers did and things like that but now I'm starting to understand it such as the If statements, some of the sprite commands, and I also did some of the tutorials which are very useful for me.

I believe some of those tutorials help me understand programming language. But every book I look at are usually based for people with some knowledge of progarmming but if you say learn C++ in 24 hours is a good book I'll take a look at it. I was also looking at Sam's teach yourself in 21 days book.

Thanks for your part in helping me.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 03:37
@Cereal

If you really would like some tips from another noob just starting out, my Google name is mmahoney62292. Get on GMail and look me up.
I LIKE CEREAL
Years of Service
User Offline
I was searching for the name but it says I need to have google email. Mine is ilikeceareal@gmail.com, if you haven't noticed I like cereal lol.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 23:28:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 23:28:53