Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [LOCKED] Dead Ends

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 12:22 Edited at: 18th Jun 2008 12:40

Dead Ends is a 3rd person action game made in DB for part of Channel 4's season on street crime.

It has been made in conjunction with London youth over the course of just a month and a half.

Totally hectic and rapid development time, 4 levels and over 10 minutes of rendered animation. We're pretty pleased with the results, you can check out the game and download it from the channel 4 site.

The game was created using our in house editor, the Zen engine (again created in DB). The editor allows the creation of large sandbox urban environments and combines elements from many of the Darkbasic plugins.

If you are based in the london area and are interested in being in future projects, do get in touch!

download link will be available here!
http://www.bebo.com/disarmingbritain

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Great to see you around again Butters, i'm checking this out for sure, I loved all your earlier work.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 07:57 Edited at: 19th Jun 2008 08:02
I can see this turning into a Lyte:Fx spamfest really soon...

Outta curiousity, how come you're leaning towards more non-violent games recently?

EDIT: I just watched the trailer for this upcoming season, it was pretty powerful.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 14:34
is this about removing illegal weapons or all guns as im agaisnt this if it is removing weapons for law biding people

[url] Operationblackmesa.vossey.net [/url]
Forums [url] http://operationblackmesa.vossey.net/forums [/url] OPBM Developer
Jo Jo Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Is Lyte:FX coming anytime soon?

kbarber29@hotmail.com
kbarber29@sbcglobal.net
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 16:32
I saw the adverts, and wondered if it was a Rolling Sound production. Looks good.

Quote: "Outta curiousity, how come you're leaning towards more non-violent games recently?"

I believe Butters is now working with Rolling Sound.

Quote: "is this about removing illegal weapons or all guns as im agaisnt this if it is removing weapons for law biding people"

Firstly, if you are in possesion of a gun on the streets of Britain, you are already not a law-abiding person, as it's illegal.

If you watch the adverts in the lead-up to this program, it looks like it's about situations that turn violent, and the possesion of a gun makes it so easy for the situation to become fatal.

The topic will always be a highly-fused one, but in Britain we don't allow guns on the street, and we don't get regular reports of school-kids going on the rampage. I think the last one was Dunblane in the early nineties, and that was an adult in a school.

Butters, well done on another good production.

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
@Butterfingers: The game looks really neat. I like that banner of the guy. It looks violent, but without any gun.

@shadow651: I also disagree with the message of 'disarming citizens'. But I won't highjack the thread and debate it. Other forums are better for that.

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 00:02
Quote: "Firstly, if you are in possesion of a gun on the streets of Britain, you are already not a law-abiding person, as it's illegal."

I didn't mean on the streets i meant the ones in your house(in a safe, i live in N.Ireland and so gun laws are slightly different)
wasn't able to get on the channel 4 website or download your game(damm interent) but when i get the chance i'll try it out

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 05:15
Is the download link not up yet... I can't find it on the website...

[center]
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 05:28 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 05:29
ive been hearing alot about you not coming through with Lyte:FX orders, some poeple waiting months, and since this seems to be the only way to contact you butters *since you never seem to reply to my emails*

if i buy Lyte:Fx/buttercutter will i actually get my order? i want to hear it directly from you butters.

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 07:33
I'm with Thraxas. By the sound of it, it sounds cool, but I can't download it.

Gunn3r Games
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 14:24
Here you go peeps.

http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/D/disarming_britain/deadends.html

"Oh hey, nice website Jimmy, it's really nice and fancy." -- That C++ Nerd
Visit. Website. NOW!
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 19:33
nice textures, did you use a camera for the faces

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 21:29
Played the game and I really liked it. Reminds me of The Getaway for Playstation 2.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 13:28
Quote: "ive been hearing alot about you not coming through with Lyte:FX orders, some poeple waiting months, and since this seems to be the only way to contact you butters *since you never seem to reply to my emails*

if i buy Lyte:Fx/buttercutter will i actually get my order? i want to hear it directly from you butters."

I would also like to know this answer Butters.
Fluffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 21:28
Sorry to hijack your thread but I was wondering about my Lyte-FX order i bought about 5 months ago please send it!

nickhain@mweb.co.za

sorry again
Fluffy

You just wasted a few seconds of your life reading this signature!
Jo Jo Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
My guess is that were not worthy of a reply. Sheesh.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 05:36
this is one of the most impressive game have ever seen in dark basic. The cinematics were awesome. but yet again, i have not seen many completed games for db

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Something tells me he doesn't intend to check this thread.

Jo Jo Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I've waited 5 months, working on 6. I'm tired of waiting. This is insulting. Butters site is back up and I've asked for a refund for both of my purchases. If I get no response in a day, by tomorrow I will post that Butters has stolen my money all over the boards.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 20:43
Be warned Guys, the fact the Butter fingers hasn't delivered on his promises to you in no way entitles you to spam these forums - the sale was between you and him and didn't involve TGC.

If you spam, I *WILL* ban you.

Jo Jo Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
The only reason I found Lyte:fx is BECAUSE of these forums promoting it. But fine, I won't "spam" these forums.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 02:57 Edited at: 24th Jun 2008 03:45
Quote: "Be warned Guys, the fact the Butter fingers hasn't delivered on his promises to you in no way entitles you to spam these forums - the sale was between you and him and didn't involve TGC.

If you spam, I *WILL* ban you."

That's a little harsh, don't you think? Butterfingers used THESE boards as FREE advertising to promote a product. These guys have mentioned several times that Butters has not responded to emails. They have shown PROOF of purchase.

They don't have much other recourse other than to jump all over the threads he takes time to post on here. He took the time to make a detailed post about his latest project, but he can't take 15 seconds to send an email attachment, or even acknowledge his own thread? I would suggest keeping an eye on Butters "profile" button at the bottom of his post to keep up on any new threads he makes, to keep up the pressure.

EDIT: Complaining across the entire boards probably IS spamming, however, keeping up the pressure in any thread Butterfingers posts I think is completely valid.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 04:15
@Jo Jo Monkey,
No, you found it because butters promoted it on the forums, which is the reverse of that.

Look, I have every sympathy - you're out of pocket through no real fault of your own - but that doesn't mean that these forums and their users have to suffer for it. Anything you buy from here that's not officially sold by TGC should be treated as 'buyer beware'.

@bond1,
Quote: "That's a little harsh, don't you think?"

No, not at all.

Three separate posts I've read today say
Quote: "I will post that Butters has stolen my money all over the boards."

I take that threat against the forums seriously, and if it occurs, it will be treated as spam.

A few people are having issues, but the majority aren't. The majority of us don't want to be involved with this squabble, and we don't want to be reading spam. In no way should anyone who is not directly involved in this have to suffer from it.

A reasonable amount of pressure is Ok, but this thread is getting beyond that now, with a third of the posts being about this 'lyte:fx' thing. Face the facts - if he hasn't replied to anyone's post in this thread so far, he's hardly likely to is he?

Jo Jo Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 09:03 Edited at: 24th Jun 2008 11:58
I'm posting this here just in case this is the only thread Butters reads:

You know, the other way to go about this is the following:
[EDIT]This bit removed, because SOFTWARE PIRACY is ILLEGAL and it would be STUPID to publicly admit to being a PIRATE.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm starting to believe that there really is no butter cutter or lyte fx.

I feel really bad for all who have been scammed by butters because I am a seller of fpsc products too and I feel that my business might suffer because of him. I would certainly not treat any of my customers the way he has. Making a post about some game that isn't very good (i downloaded it and played it, it's very preachy but not very playable), but won't take fifteen minutes out of his day to email his waiting customers something that they ordered half a year ago; it's just wrong.

@butters: I thought the game had some good cut scenes. And the loading screens were well done too. But the game itself wasn't very playable.

For those of you who haven't downloaded the game yet, then I'll tell you about it. It starts at a crime scene where a kid is murdered. Then it goes to a little 'mini-game' where you are the kid (just a few days ago, I assume, before he dies), and you have to break windows by throwing bricks. There is bar at the bottom of the screen that tells how hard. The kid can throw extremely far, and most of the time the brick doesn't collide correctly with a window. After breaking enough windows the kid is accepted into the gang and another cinematic follows.

Now a detective arrives on the murder scene (back in the present time, sheesh). And then the next mini-game is playing as the detective asking everyone if they knew about the murder victim. I couldn't complete the mini-game because I couldn't find three witnesses to win. There were a bunch of witnesses, but they moved as fast as my character so that I couldn't keep up, and they all seemed to vanish as time went by. But the character didn't move very fast so going around the small map was a tedious, time-consuming endeavor. I quit the game and uninstalled. It just wasn't worth the 22 minute download for 300mb.

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
That's actually a really good idea Jo Jo Monkey, I own it, but i'm afraid it'll simple take too long to upload/send on my junk internet connection.

As for the game, it's very well produced, and well worth looking into. Nice one Butters.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 12:01
@Jo Jo Monkey,
Ok, I know you're upset about this but that in no way allows you to operate against the AUP of this forum.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but the next time you breach the AUP I'll have to deal with it more harshly than a simple post edit.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:36:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:36:13