Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 21:08
I have never really gotten into making my own vehicle, i have always used the hotrod following, so could someone give a brief tutorial on how to do this?

Programming Recorder: 3,0 months of dark basic
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 12:49
I just modelled and rigged a car in Milkshape, exported the .x file to the folder where the demo is and plugged the name in for my car instead of the buggy in the demo. It worked fine. If you need more info/code, let me know.

LBFN

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 21:13
Cool, now i get the process.
But i need to know how to setup the wheels and the limbs and all.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 05:11
The following pic shows a car that I have rigged and put into a DP game that I am working on. The rigging is pretty straightforward as you can see. I don't animate the wheels at all. Typically, Milkshape will require at least 10 keyframes of animation; I just set the keyframe on frames 1 and 10 without doing anything. I then export it as if it has animation.

I had previously written a program for another game which shows clearly what each limb's number is. You could easily write something that has the model on screen while you cycle through the limbs. Just hide the limb for a second and then show it for a second so that it appears to be flashing. Then you just plug the limb numbers in the code and away you go.

Hope this helps.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 13:32
@LBFN

have you found that the radius and height setting are the other way around, meaning if you set the back wheels to be high the front ones move instead.

@bergice

if you have a look at this post
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131983&b=30
you will see that the wheel parts have been given names so you should be able to work out what does what by changing the values.

cheers.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 15:21
Thanks all, i think i get it now.
As soon as i get time i will try and see if it works

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 02:02
@ HowDo

Good info to know. Thanks for sharing!

LBFN

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 20:30
Thanks alot, atleast i get it now, but i have no idea how to find the correct values when setting the wheels and body.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 20:42
bergice which values are you trying to set.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 23:54

That is the code for the vehicle creation test, the creation of the vehicle is where i have problems.

Between make vehicle and build vehicle.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 00:06
when you have loaded in your 3DS car, do this
add

then put this in, changing the limb number until it hides the wheel, note which limb number.

hide limb 1,x

plus if you look at your model in the drawing package, look down at the top are the wheels rotate direction on the x line.
Also the demo car is rotated 90 deg after its loaded.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 12:51
I was not aware that you could make joints (limbs) with .3ds files. To confirm this, I took the car I made (which works as an .x file), exported it as a .3ds file, ran your code, and after a few seconds it gave me the dreaded, "Bergice.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

If you email me the .3ds file, I can rig and convert it to an .x file for you. You could then try it and see if this is the problem.

LB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 02:05:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 02:05:57