Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Commercial games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 01:55
have there been any commercial game released with FPS Creator?

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 04:43
It's amazing how these questions only pop up AFTER a thread has already been made asking the same question.

Yes there have been commercial games made but very very few.

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 07:43
To Name A Few:

Cry Of The Infected

Sturmguart

Outbreak

Anderson & The Legacy of Cthulhu

Haven Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 07:58
i saw the other thread just though they where asking about games not commercial..

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's too big in filesize and over 600x120
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, actually, before he decided he was going to ignore the FPSC boards and all of his customers, Butters saw a WWII game made in FPS Creator using only stock media for about 20 dollars.
Nowdie
Years of Service
User Offline
all of those games got terrible (if any) reviews. TGC needs to look at these example of "commercial games" and realize what FPSC lacks. I think physics and shaders should be a main concern.(im really shooting for the ragdolls to boost things up.)
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 20:15
Quote: "Well, actually, before he decided he was going to ignore the FPSC boards and all of his customers, Butters saw a WWII game made in FPS Creator using only stock media for about 20 dollars."

Thats Sturmguart.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 20:55
If you think the games are not up to snuff, then you should look to the authors first and foremost. There are successful games that do well because of their gameplay, not because they've the greatest graphics or coolest features.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 00:42
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, review.

(did I say that out loud??)

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 00:50
Quote: "all of those games got terrible (if any) reviews."

Not always. Anderson got reviews from 14% (which is actually terrible) to 84% (what seems highly overrated even to me). However, the most important German magazine, Gamestar, gave us a nice 64% review and an "Insider Recommendation of the month" sepcial.

Come to where the madness is:
http://www.homegrowngames.at
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm... Then that proves that it doesn't take fancy shaders, profssional game engines, or hands on the weapons to make a reasonably good game.
Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 02:43
Although i wont be giving up Unreal engine or Cryengine2 any time soon

My MMORPG: http://green-man.pbwiki.com or check out the forums at http://mechtech.webmmorpg.net

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 09:19
Theres.

Quote: "Cry Of The Infected

Sturmguart

Outbreak

Anderson & The Legacy of Cthulhu"

And Also another one by benjamin aleikma, I forgotten what it is called? is it commander josh?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's too tall
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 09:31
Quote: "wow I could make about 3 of those games in about 10sec"

You might since FPSC is such a handy tool for those wh actually do...

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:22
If you want top reviews, paying for them helps, what you thought those reviews on games was real.

Getting more sales on fpsc games is easy, give fpsc a port to mac, mac games have less competition, so its easier to get more sales, sales figures I have looked at for casual games give the same game on mac 20 times the sales then what they had on PC.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 01:33 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 03:40
It's spelled "Sturmgart".

I say, if any of those games actually got a purchase, then Eldora would sell 5 times as many at least.

Most of those games don't have levels as nearly well put together as some of the games I've seen posted about around here.

Sturmgart and Outbreak are cookie cut games. They looked very thrown together, especially Outbreak... which couldn't even get an original storyline.

Anderson & the legacy of cthulhu, I have to say... was unfortunate enough to have used a version of FPSC that was, quite frankly, too early to be used for a commercial title.

Cry of the Infected looked interesting, had an interesting plot, but from what I've seen of it, the levels were lacking. They could have been thought out a bit better. If it got away from the square rooms that look like all of the other rooms I've seen in WIPs, it might have a bit better standing for me. The lighting also definitally needed more work. It's supposed to be in a post-apocolyptic area of infestation... yet I saw a single zombie. You.

If you want to make a commercial game, then get used to people saying stuff like what I've just demonstrated. You won't be just "playing around" anymore. If you really want to make a commercial quality game, then you're gonna have to put some serious WORK into it.

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 01:44
Quote: "give fpsc a port to mac"

Would love to see fpsc on the Mac, but there's no way that's gonna happen. Although you can build levels in fpsc on the Mac. You just can't test because of the DirectX 10 requirement.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 01:50
Let's be honest, there aren't that many people here with the skills or vision to put together a commercial product. Giving someone a hammer doesn't make them a good carpenter, giving a kid a violin doesn't make them a professional musician. However, there will be some people that rise to the top. I've seen enough isolated skills to know that there's some good talent using fpsc.

A good marketing move would be for TGC to provide some incentive to some of the established pro's out there to at least create a high quality small level game to prove to the industry what can be done with their tool. That would inspire many of those who "give up" to keep pushing on, and it would introduce a tool that's perceived as a beginner or weekend hack tool to some serious professionals. At the very least they might consider if for quick proof of concept or virtual storyboarding.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 08:38
Hm... I like that idea, Uthink.

Gunn3r Games
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 19:13
Quote: "Anderson & the legacy of cthulhu, I have to say... was unfortunate enough to have used a version of FPSC that was, quite frankly, too early to be used for a commercial title."

Yeah, that`s the reason why the patch is actually a bug-fixed, recompiled Anderson made with 1.05 (or was it 1.04??)

Quote: "If you really want to make a commercial quality game, then you're gonna have to put some serious WORK into it.
"

Yeah, 3 guys working half a year almost fulltime on the project, with dozens of helping hands, this was what we`ve put into it.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 19:50
I really don't see how you can hope to have a good commercial game without being a programmer? I suppose you could hire one. I guess that would make you a game producer or director.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 20:05
I really don't think it would be that hard to make a commercial looking game in FPSC, with efx looking the way it does. It would just be time consuming, and pretty boring, in my opinion. And MISoft is planning on making a commercial game with FPSC, I think.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 05:36
Commercial quality is easy to achieve, with all the mods that offer such eye-candy and awesome game-play additions, it's a cinch. The thing that [screw]s me over is the time it takes to harness the awesome might of these mods. It's, quite frankly, hell, if you ask me. I find it hard to keep focused when making a Game Maker game. Of course that's the growing ADD, but still. You have the power, you just need the time. That's what messes me up all the time, the lack of inspiration. And no, sorry Inspire, you won't help

My two cents,
==Pride

"Informed decision-making comes from a long tradition of guessing and blaming others for inadequate results." - Scott Adams
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 12:43
Take a look at this screen. It`s Doom 3 full detail.

You could create such an Environment in FPSC with decent fps. You just need excellent Textures, a very skilled designer and superb lightening.

! AND YOU NEED DIVERSITY !

You`d need at least 10-12 Variatons of each Segment, and dozens of different Segments, to create one believable level. And you`ll need lots of Entities that don´t look like clones from each other, and many scenery stuff like tubes, cables, broken ivnentory...

Resolution of segment textures is not that importanty, it`s pretty low in Doom3.

However, what you can`t make in FPSC at the moment, is the dynamic lightening and shadowing. and don´t tell me that such a Function exists, because I messed around with it a lot, and as long as a dynamic light above a dynamic ventilator doesn`t create rotating shadow, it`s not functional.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 16:58
Quote: "You could create such an Environment in FPSC with decent fps. You just need excellent Textures, a very skilled designer and superb lightening."

That hits the spot pretty much : to make a commercial quality game like doom3 you will need experts that deliver commercial quality work to the production process- so you most likely cannot be the story author, level designer, texture artist, game designer, programmer and producer in one person if you want to make a game that competes with the teamed effort of industry professionals. BUT you can produce something original instead-which is the strength of any indie producer. Originality will help you come over your weaknesses and turn them into strengths. "Portal" for example was adapted from "Narbacular drop" which was a student project (and didn't look as shiny as its commercial big brother)...I think it's best to come up with a cool demo to show off your skills in one of the fields or to team up with others....

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 17:51
Quote: "
However, what you can`t make in FPSC at the moment, is the dynamic lightening and shadowing. and don´t tell me that such a Function exists, because I messed around with it a lot, and as long as a dynamic light above a dynamic ventilator doesn`t create rotating shadow, it`s not functional."

My biggest grudge with FPSC, right there. The lack of dynamic lighting /shadowing engine really sets it back a lot IMHO.

-Astek Games Developer-
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 18:10
There is a dynamic lighting option, only all the settings for it are in the setup.ini.

Put dynamicshadows to 1, and the "sun" potions further down say what direction the shadows point.

The Simon Cowell of TGC.
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 18:15
I mean dynamic lighting with movable light sources etc.

-Astek Games Developer-
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 19:47
Quote: "I mean dynamic lighting with movable light sources etc."

Yeah, me too. give me that and I´ll make you a game that looks like AAA

Quote: "That hits the spot pretty much : to make a commercial quality game like doom3 you will need experts that deliver commercial quality work to the production process- so you most likely cannot be the story author, level designer, texture artist, game designer, programmer and producer in one person if you want to make a game that competes with the teamed effort of industry professionals."

That`s the reason why I always work at least with two others.

eekish
Years of Service
User Offline
You forgot Beyond Life
space buddy
Years of Service
User Offline
The question is, would anyone buy an FPSC game. They kinda all look the same, the graphics
are poor and the game play is not fun.
smiley
Years of Service
User Offline
the answer is yes, poeple have bort games and poeple have made money with fpsc but most dont...it doesnt hurt to try but i beleve fpsc will soon be outdated when fpscx10 realy starts to shine but who know

when the world seems to be against you it always helps to smile
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 18:57 Edited at: 7th Jul 2008 18:59
No way as long as X10 games can`t be played on PCs without Vista. Most gamers still have XP running, not Vista, and it will take at least 2 more years to change that totally.

And you CAN have commercial success, I don`t know how many Anderson copies were actually sold worldwide, but I guess it already counts in ten thousands of them.

But you must try not to sell the "game", but instead to sell the idea, the storyline, the characters background, the atmosphere...

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 19:28
Quote: "I don`t know how many Anderson copies were actually sold worldwide"

Then how can you check your royalties?

Stuff on fpsc graphics not AAA, then make a comic book game, stylised,
and not a realism game.

Like this
http://madworldwii.blogspot.com/2008/06/clockwork-orange-meets-madworld-wii.html

I posted this exact graphic look idea way back, now I see the look has been made into a game.

Nothing stopping you making this type of look in a game is there.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 21:47
Quote: "No way as long as X10 games can`t be played on PCs without Vista. Most gamers still have XP running, not Vista, and it will take at least 2 more years to change that totally."

Exactly so for those x10 is good to get to work on a Commercial title
And release it when there is less Competition, you know before the big boys come in.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 22:39 Edited at: 7th Jul 2008 22:41
Quote: "Exactly so for those x10 is good to get to work on a Commercial title
And release it when there is less Competition, you know before the big boys come in."

A publisher will not pick up a dx10 only game, the PC market is smaller than consoles, you are taking up shelf space, space that could be used to sell console games, now if thats dx10 only, no chance, a games store will not be stocking that.

If you want less competition develop for the mac, looking at casual games, the mac version of a game will sell 20 times more, due to having smaller competition.

As for big boys, they have dx9 games that are well beyong fpsc dx 10, so you are not releasing anything before the big boys what so ever.

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 23:36 Edited at: 7th Jul 2008 23:38
Quote: "[quote]I mean dynamic lighting with movable light sources etc."

Yeah, me too. give me that and I´ll make you a game that looks like AAA[/quote]

just quoting the efxMod 1.5 Release Information...

Quote: "Water Effects
Multi-Language Interface [DE, FR, EN]
Multi-Pass Bloom Shading [2,3,4,5,6,7,8 Passes]
Timer System
efxCustomizer GUI v3 (ingame adjustment of all efx Features)
AirMod Implementation
Water Physics including water currents
Resolution auto-adapt (automatical aspect ratio adjustment)
Script Commands
Dynamic Light Moving
Uncapped Framerate
Shadersystem can be disabled
Quality levels changeable"

And re-done dynamic shadows are coming with release 1.6, soon
they already work, perfectly
we're thinking about integrating soft dynamic shadows...

and btw. commercial use of efxMod is possible - but it has to be approved by us

Intel Xeon 3350 Quad@2,67GHz, Asus Commando, 2GB RAM, Thermaltake Shark, Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT, Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24"
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 23:56
Hey Nighthawk since your around how is the commercial version coming around?

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 00:13
Quote: "
And re-done dynamic shadows are coming with release 1.6, soon
they already work, perfectly
we're thinking about integrating soft dynamic shadows...

and btw. commercial use of efxMod is possible - but it has to be approved by us"

Yeah, I know efx kicks butt and is awesome and all... But the biggest problems on the STANDARD fpsc for me are always related to getting acceptable frame rate on my (admittedly outdated) system, I can't even dream of using Efx. (Unless the perfomance has been greatly increased during the last six months...)

-Astek Games Developer-
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 00:15 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 00:16
that commercial thingy.... urgs...
it's more or less inofficial

we offer commercial licenses inofficially, just contact me if you got an interesting project - we need Team information, project information, screenshots if available, etc.

so, now it's more or less official.

efxMod is available for commercial use, since 1.5 is out. Just the classic version is non-commercial only, commercial-license-customers recieve special versions with special features or even newer, non-public releases

Quote: "(Unless the perfomance has been greatly increased during the last six months...)"

What was the last version you used?

Intel Xeon 3350 Quad@2,67GHz, Asus Commando, 2GB RAM, Thermaltake Shark, Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT, Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24"
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 00:37
If a publisher is looking at your game, and there's opportunity to compete for shelf space against games like Haze or COD, then I'm sure you'd be willing to crank out a dx9 version. Most, if not all of us, will not be worrying about shelf space.

Also consider that Vista sales will pass 200 million in the next month or two. Even if you take 1% of that for household use, and then 1% of that for gaming, that gives you 20,000 potential customers. Of course that's fluffy kitchen table logic. But my point is, there are gamers out there with Vista. And unless you are putting a game out in the next 6 months, you should be thinking about it. I'm not saying do it, but I don't think many of us have done any real market analysis and strategic planning.

I think there are a good number of people that can't afford to upgrade and that's why they are XP advocates. Not because their game won't sell. As they say in I.T., write your requirements first. If you're game needs to leverage what directX 10 can give, then you've got a requirement. If you want to make something that your friends can play, and they all have XP, then you've got a requirement.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 00:50
Quote: "Then how can you check your royalties?"

The problem is that some territories are sold as "license deals", the distributor there pays a fixed sum and can throw as many copies out as he wishes...

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 01:14
I can't remember the exact version number. It was back in february-march, I tested it on Parasite Quarantine back then, got sub-10 frame rates (though I have to admit, the map I tested it on was a bit on the heavy side).
Since then I've stuck to official updates, though lately they seem to give me increasing amounts of grief...

I see that on Efx1.5 the detail levels can be adjusted... Does that mean they can be adjusted before building the game, or that they're adjustable on the built game as well?

-Astek Games Developer-
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 01:32
I just can't wait till Lee releases the next source, so we can have all of his nice updates with all of the mods nice additions.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 06:07
Quote: "just contact me "

Do you have an email for me to reach you at? if you dont want to give it out you can email me at

Punk13@inbox.com

Thanks bro

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 12:56
Quote: "I see that on Efx1.5 the detail levels can be adjusted... Does that mean they can be adjusted before building the game, or that they're adjustable on the built game as well?"

both, you can adjust it via setup.ini, scipt and with the GUI

Quote: "Do you have an email for me to reach you at? if you dont want to give it out you can email me at"

Just updated my profile with my email adress
you can also find some contact adresses at our homepage (-> About)

my Spamfilter blocks all non-german emails, in most cases, so be patient, I always check my Spambox

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 14:04
Ok cool ill send you an email in the morning thanks Nighthawk

lukex10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 22:09
i think once the migration is out we can definatly make commercial quality games.do any of you think that?

new pc for chrismas is nvidia 8800gtx ADM 4800 2.5ghz 2gb ram 250 gb hard drive

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 05:25:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 05:25:51