Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tech Demo(s)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 17:27 Edited at: 12th Jul 2003 17:30
there are a good few in production, all will show some more advanced effects achievable in DBpro and for once i'll be trying to stick to the build in commends - i'll be posting the source up as soon as i finish.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 19:12
I d/l'd and you got some pretty nice reflections going.

Let's see some more.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 19:25
hehee... well first i wanna make the sphere jiggly

right now i'm torn between just making it kinda wave around or like do a flubber style dance hehee (j|k about the flubber dance)

gotta work some more on my terrain today because once i'm done this'll be part of a much much bigger tech demo, showing some very nice graphics - particles and such.

oh and a little tip press '1' or '2' on the keyboard it changes something ... and if you have a scroll wheel you can zoom inside the sphere, it looks pretty cool from the inside

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 20:46
Hmm... Does it automatically set the resolution, cos I can't see a thing in that reflection, I just looks like a big spluuuurge . If so, could you add an option to change the res? Looks good from the screenshot anyways.

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 20:49
Actually, I think it's the texture. Is the version in the screenshot updated from the actual download?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 21:42
hamish take a screenie of what you get... i know one version the backdrop was accidentally turned off and it just wasn't refreshing right - but i don't know if thats the one that puffy compiled and uploaded for me.

i have a recompile here with the updates that'll be going up tonite with another 2 demos again showing some nice effect i'll have him update then and i'll take a screenie of the new effect before i have him upload think ya'll like it

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 01:11
Here it is, if you zoom in it's no better. Also the text is different so I suspect that it is an earlier version.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 03:16
hmm guess he didn't have my latest build ... but i'm not sure what you think is wrong with it exactly.

the control in puffies version is wrong, it should be Left Mouse Button to rotate, and mine was just rotated to another side thats all.

i think that version also might have a rotational bug, ho well can just wait for the next version
i have a feeling puffies was like the 5minute version, i spent another 30-40mins trying to ween out some of the DBpro abnormalities.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 03:58
i was just making a demo like this one i'll post mine when it's done!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 05:09 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 05:13
Hehe - This is would look cool with Lee's bubble HLSL shader from the SFX demo (PS2.0 / VS2.0 required)

This cube mapping demo uses static images though which are easier to deal with, the trouble with cube mapping atm. is that to update the cube mapped images, you have to recall SET CUBE MAPPING ON, you cannot just update the source images, and presumably this is not very efficient.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 06:43
o_O Rats... =\ uhhhh ... lemme upload the newer one... wait... I have the one with the backdrop bug... send me the updated code...

EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =\
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 07:07
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 11:10 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 11:14
not it isn't Rob... and onfortunately DBS are using the builtin Dx Cubemapper - which means you have to reload the images everytime you change which takes alot of time to resync, its very very pathetically managed too. the cube map if made in Dx as a function would normally take up around 1mb of VRam, the Dx version takes up almost 4mb ... so wasteful

i've got the new version just sitting here, i wanna finish my other tech demo's before i release - got one showing sprites, another with image manupulation.
right now i'm working on a Bump Mapper (which works natively rather than through a shader or function)

[edit-]
just outta interest did anyone notice that all the faces on the cubemap are ordered wrong? hehee the floor is on the roof

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 11:16
Pretty cool Lcfcfan, although my comp slows to 95fps, quite slow for 1 object on my pc, although it is a good effect. I looks a bit weird cos all the reflections differ with the faces which are meant to be one side of the gun, presumably cos the normals are at different angles (but I don't know anything about sphere/cube mapping). If you could flatten them somehow then I think it would look a lot better.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 17:12
graham yours was kinda erm... interesting
oki i've had a little break from something just got one demo finished and working and its looking bloody awesome... finished the "wave/ripple" effect on the cubemapped ball, looks pretty good and i've also made some terrain around it with a skybox so that the cube mapping is now actually create in-engine and then displayed like that
got my blending picture foutain working, which looks interesting to say the least ...
and i've just started work on a third demo which - if i can take it from my sketchs to DBP will hopefully have the desired effect of an involentary "Bloody 'Ell!"

gonna try to do it without shaders first, but if it ends up too slow with my current methodology i'll just flip it across to some good ol' fashion ASM

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 22:57
yeah i also thought that hamish, what setup are you running though cos i get 520 fps on my computer.

@ Raven

Guess i'll take that as a compliment!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 23:09
Look at my sig.

QbasicLover
Years of Service
User Offline
Hye uhh...kinda hard for me to tpe because when I downloaded the Demo it gave me an error prompt saying I needed a better Direct X. That's ok but then everthing onmy deskyop (mainly the toolbars and some things on the web page(this) went back. I can still see some Ions but still....

Q,Dark,And Blitz Basic...
I'll undertsand programming
completle when pigs fly...
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Umm..when that happens you just gotta play around with it to get back to normal or restart your computer..

it happens alot

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2003 22:20
that happens whenever XP runs outta ram... you just gotta give it like 5mins to catch up and clean the buffers 0 - i usually just sit there and tinker in my IDE for a while whilst i wait for it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:58:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:58:18