Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / FPSC X10 - Texture Tutorial (Seamless Diffuse, Normal and Specular)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 23:41
This tutorial would be great to go in the X10 guide if that's ok.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 20:21
@Gunner3r

No problem. I'll release the tutorial over there once its all wrapped up.

@Game Freak16

Welcome back!. I've checked my xbox live account the last couple of nights but not seen a message from you?

I'm at my girlfriends quite often now and haven't managed to sneak the 360 round yet so if you don't mind posting your email here, please do so as I can send you the tutorial from hers. Otherwise I'll pick it up on xbox live asap.

@Nickydude

I'd be honoured to have an entry in your FPSC X10 guide, that would be great. I'll email you a copy as soon as its complete, thanks.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 02:47 Edited at: 31st Jul 2008 02:51
@ Nomad Soul
I have not been able to connect to xbox live recently. Every time I try it freezes up. I will send you one as soon as I can.

EDIT

Nevermind I just got on and sent you a message. There was a problem with my router i think.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 02:20
@Game Freak16

Thanks. Got your xbox live message and just emailed the tutorial over to you. Look forward to hearing from you once you've had a chance to add your information.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Nomad Soul
I just got your email. I will start tomorrow because I am tired right now, but I will get it done as soon as I can.

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 22:12 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 22:30
@ Nomad Soul
I have finished my part in the tutorial. I will send you an email shortly.

EDIT

@ Nomad Soul
I have just sent you two emails.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 00:02
@Game Freak16

Thanks for your emails and for the additions you've provided in the tutorial. It looks great.

I've just received an email from Squalker saying he's hoping to have his additions to me in the next few days so there's a chance I'll have the finished article ready to upload by end of the week.
I want to make scripts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 13:24
Firstly I must compliment myself with Nomad Soul, Gunn3r and game freak 16. You're great guys! Also I wanted to ask if you could do a pdf tutorial on how to do normal mapps ecc. with photoshop, Gimp and crazy bump? Like the FPSC official online guide.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:03 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 00:04
This tutorial explains how to do normal, specular, and seamless diffuse maps with photoshop, gimp, and crazybump. I think that squalker also put something in the tutorial for paint.net.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:38
@ I want to make scripts

Hi. As game freak16 says, the tutorial covers everything you require and I'll be uploading the final version in PDF format.

Nickydude (creator of the official FPSC X9 guide) has kindly offered to include the tutorial in his forthcoming FPSC X10 official guide so you'll be able to find the information there in the future also.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 19:45
@Nomad Soul

Hey can you drop me an email ... I had a hard drive crash and lost your address. I have finished my portion and want to send it your way to be added in.

Thx
Squalker
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:03
@ Squalker

Thanks for the update.

I've just sent you an email you can reply to with your additions.

Good work, Nomad
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 13:34
Can't wait for this.

[center]
SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
This is just what I need, have you got a proposed release date for the tutorial?

Many Thanks

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 19:40 Edited at: 16th Aug 2008 19:55
I hope you release this soon. I own CubeMap and all I need to know
is how to set segments and entities to use several diff. maps.
Tasty they are!
I'm also using X9 at the moment but I'm looking to upgrade to X10
very soon. Would the same process to do this for FPSCX10 apply to
X9?

Astek

-Indestructible-

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 22:37
All

The wait is over. I've now compiled all the information from myself, Squalker and Game Freak16 into an all inclusive FPSC X10 texture tutorial PDF.

I've zipped up the file for maximum compression so just extract the PDF once downloaded.

Thanks to Squalker and Game Freak16. Enjoy

@ ASTEK

I can't confirm how well the techniques will transfer over to FPSC X9 as I've put testing for that on hold in order to see which direction I'm going in (v2 migration or EFX mod).

However the tutorial has now been released so you can do some testing on this.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 00:10
Thanks guys for all of your work. Eventhough I know how to do the textures, I'll follow the tutorial. You may be doing things better than the way I do them.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 06:03
Including into the August Gunn3r Games Informer per earlier request. Thanks for the tutorial, Nomad Soul.

Gunn3r Games
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the tutorial and to announce...
I've upgraded today. I bought a new PC and can now
run X10. I can't wait to test it out.

Astek

-Indestructible-

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Brilliant!!! many thanks guys, this will help so much.

It is a pity that TGC have not bothered to do this tutorial and many others when creating the forum as I can understand the time it must of taken for you lot to test and come up with this tutorial.

By the way can Illumination textures be used in X10, I have seen these with some models as well as normal,specular,bump & Diffuse maps?

The Forum rocks because of you!!!
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 21:10
It is a pity, especially if you look at the editor support Crysis has compared to this. There really is no comparison.

Not sure how much longer I'm going to work on this engine seeing as how hard it is to get information.

TGC please start offering some real support for this.

Thanks guys for this, this definately will help me.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 15:28
This is great. Cheers guys!

[center]
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 03:58 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 07:03
I feel really retarded or something because my textures still refuse to appear in-game. Oh, the diffuse ones work alright, but normals and speculars just don't want to. I tried reskinning existing segments and then adjusted their fps files, but for some reason they just don't appear (doing this was how I got the diffuse textures to appear). I saved them in the .dds format and with the appropriate letter ending ("..._D.dds" for diffuse, "..._N.dds" for normal, "..._S.dds" for specular). I didn't try any specular ones, just diffuse and normal to see if I could get them in. Is there a specific folder they need to be saved in or something else...?

After reading such a good guide, you can imagine how frustrated I am that I still can't get them to work..(don't get me wrong though, I am not bashing the guide, the guide is excellent and it helped me get the diffuse textures in-game)

EDIT: Never mind WOO! I figured it out. Apparently to get the specular and normal to load, you need to name them with the .tga extension instead of whatever format the actually are. In the .fps I named them metal_D.dds when you should name them with .tga instead of .dds That's what was throwing me off all this time.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 03:22
Just in time. I was just about to agree with you on your mental state!

Happy gaming!

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 03:26
Quote: "TGC please start offering some real support for this."

@crumbaker

Dude, while it's okay to vent a little about TGC. You've been complaining for some time. This is a board for users. We can't change TGC here. Please email TGC directly.

Be happy that a few guys made this tutorial. And now start thinking about how you can contribute to the community.

The 40 Year Old Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 00:12
hey game freak - I'm a Gimp user. I'd really appreciate a tutorial on how to apply specular and bump maps to create custom textures/segments. Just got X10 today, the perfect excuse to upgrade my 8600GT to a 9800. Sweet.

'Yeah...I'm gonna' have to ask you to come in on Saturday. That'd be great.'
SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have used the tutorial and I am a bit confused, I have created the Normal, specular and Diffus maps no problem, I have created an FPE and in the visualinfo: part I have put

textured = Box01_D.dds (if I put .tga IT DOES NOT SHOW UP!)

I have the entity in the game but no normal or specular maps are showing up?

I have CRAZYBUMP and GIMP and PHOTOSHOP and still no effects on the entity.

Is the alpha channel the issue?? what map should have an alpha channel? all of them?

Thanks
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 20:54 Edited at: 19th Sep 2008 20:58
Quote: "hey game freak - I'm a Gimp user. I'd really appreciate a tutorial on how to apply specular and bump maps to create custom textures/segments. Just got X10 today, the perfect excuse to upgrade my 8600GT to a 9800. Sweet."

There is a gimp section included in this tutorial .... you can download it from an earlier post amde by Nomad Soul..

Quote: "Hi,
I have used the tutorial and I am a bit confused, I have created the Normal, specular and Diffus maps no problem, I have created an FPE and in the visualinfo: part I have put

textured = Box01_D.dds (if I put .tga IT DOES NOT SHOW UP!)

I have the entity in the game but no normal or specular maps are showing up?

I have CRAZYBUMP and GIMP and PHOTOSHOP and still no effects on the entity.

Is the alpha channel the issue?? what map should have an alpha channel? all of them?
"

The _D file requires a White Alpha Channel.... I make mine 100% Transparent....

The _S file requires a Black Alpha Channel that is 50% Transparent....

Hope this helps

Squalker
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Solo Design

I've had similar problems before but I've figured out how to smooth them out for the most part.

Check several things:
1)Most important: save the .dds files in the
\FPS Creator X10\Files\FPSC X10 Files\texturebank
I made the mistake of putting them directly in the first texturebank that you see and wasn't able to get it to work

2)Make sure the _D,_S and _N files have the same name.

3)Make sure that in the FPS, where it says "effect" to write effectbank\bump\bump.fx to tell it which effect to use

*Note: This is what has worked for me with segments. I haven't tried entities yet, if you're making entities my bad
The 40 Year Old Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 07:50
Squalker - downloading tutorial now. Appreciate the flame-free reference to an earlier, and obvious post with tutorial. Checking it out now.

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Where is it?
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 20:09
About 15 posts up.

The 40 Year Old Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 17:58
Halle-freaking-lujuah!

Finally got normals and specular working on a custom segment. Complete gratitude to squalker, nomad and game freak for putting this tutorial together.

In the next revision, might I suggest that you add the point that Jingle Fett made concerning using the "FPS Creator X10 Files\texturebank" folder as the location for your _D, _N and _S files. This tripped me up and even after seeing his post, I still foolishly tossed the files into that folder without accounting for the sub-folder "user" that was in the texture file path in my .fpe segment file.

Thanks again and on to entities! Joy.

Attachments

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I got entities working......at last
I think the main issue with me was firstly the FPE needs to have the entity texture as a single TGA even though it reads from the _N and _D and _S .DDS textures.

Also the alpha channels only need to be on the _D and _S textures not the _N texture and they have to be 100% BLACK and 100% WHITE.

I used CRAZY BUMP to create the textures and then PHOTOSHOP to create the alphas (GIMP was not very straight forward from the tutorial) and then GIMP to convert to DDS format.

I think personally the tutorial needs to be rejigged slightly, with 2 chapters - ENTITIES chapter 1, SEGMENTS chapter 2 etc

and in each chapter a step by step using CRAZY BUMP, GIMP and PHOTOSHOP to create the textures rather than a tutorial that you have to dart from one part to another to get the whole picture. If you see where I am coming from.

But as it stands a GREAT move forward by the team who did the tutorial in the first place -TGC should take this re-do and lock at the top of this forum - IMO

Anyone done ILLUMINATION textures and made them work? _I textures? will the engine cope with these? rather than masking a _S texture and highlighting areas in WHITE on the mask -ala tutorial?

Just a thought...... will let you know if I have any luck!
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 22:11
I agree with solo, great tutorial and I'm extremely thankful but yeah that layout would make it far easier to understand.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 17:19 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 17:20
Quote: "Anyone done ILLUMINATION textures and made them work? _I textures? will the engine cope with these? rather than masking a _S texture and highlighting areas in WHITE on the mask -ala tutorial?"

they are not supported... i do cover in the tutorial how to create the same effect using the alpha channel of the Specular Map... to light up areas of the map..
The 40 Year Old Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2008 20:13
Ok - I'm still having problems with this, so hope a Gimp expert can offer a little help. I'm not quite sure how to set up the alpha channels for the _d, _n and _s files. The normal and specular images I'm using were not created in Gimp. They are .png (normal) and .jpg (spec) that I opened in Gimp and converted to .dds (RGBA8/mipmaps) adding the mask layer for the _s file as instructed in the tutorial.

I don't quite quite understand the steps I'm supposed to take to set the alpha color (black/white) and transparency levels. I've attached my .fps and .dds files. Would appreciate if someone could take a look and see anything obviously wrong. Or explain how to adjust the alpha channels in Gimp. I've struggled with this for days now and I'm at my wit's end. Grrrr.

Attachments

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2008 15:15
hey i am a total noob at this, could some one help me installing the plugin, i have the files, i just dont know what to do with them lol

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 19:33
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

is an excellent Gimp tutorial.From simple tasks to insane ones...this is my Gimp bible.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 22:09
Nomad, sent you an email but not sure if you've received it so I'll repeat it here. Could you provide the tutorial in Word format (.doc) as I'm having trouble transferring from the .PDF file into the X10 Guide.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 01:10
Hi Nickydude

Just got your email and replied with a copy of the tutorial in Word format (.doc).

Let me know if any problems with the attachment. It's in .zip format so you'll just need to extract with standard Windows compression after downloading.
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 19:22 Edited at: 29th Oct 2008 19:28
Hey,

Your totorial is more then great!
In the totorial i have to look in secion 6 for channel options but i can' t find it. Would you please explain? My segment is almost finished, but thats the only thing thats left for me yet....

Quote: "The alpha channel should be white (see section 6 for changing channel properties)."

I can only see a black channel at the square....

I hope you can help me out....
Thanks!

* i have attached a picture showing the situation, i alrerady have the dss plugin.

Attachments

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Screen of texture

Attachments

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

could you help me with those channels?
Is photoshop Cs2 also okay with creating tho textures?

Thanks!
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 21:14 Edited at: 30th Oct 2008 21:15
I have a error when i try to crete a segemnt in firma:

Attachments

icycold 2367
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 22:07
You have to click the eye area the view on the channels for RGB

My Website Address...

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
But when i do that my texture turns into black, entirely!
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
I have made this but firma keeps ginving me errors. Would you please help me?

Part 1

Attachments

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Part 2

Attachments

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline