Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Finally, some activity!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:44
I just wanted to commemorate this great day of the music forum. I think I've seen greater activity here today than during the last two weeks, along with two newscomers.
So, good luck to them, and let's hope that we can keep the music section alive from now on

I would've written a fanfare, but time got the better of me tonight

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 13:18
I can't wait till we get 100 regulars here. Now, there's about 15-20 according to my research.

Music is a severely underrated part of game development. Music sets much of the atmosphere in place. It would be nice with some more focus on that part, and thus more people here to spread the joy.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 18:33
I Love Music! That's why I bought gamecube stero speakers which kick butt. They are loud and clear when listening to them. Also you can connect the speakers to 4 systems at once in the back which I'm using it for.

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3d hack n slash http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124414&b=19
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 22:01
i love music too , i`m not much cop at game music ,more of a singer/guitar player but i`ll try anything.

anyways ya to the music board ...

toshiba satellite 1.6 core duo + nvidia geforce go 7300
windows xp pro.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 00:45
Well, with a music board and you lot 'anging around, people who've neglected that side of game media have some people to scroune off of.

In other words, there's plenty here for people to learn with the stickies and the main music guys, as well as free media to nick.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I am now going to be a regular here. Sorry I have missed out. Love this forum.

Indie

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 21:10
And so, we're apparently down to one post in four days again...

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 02:47
Apparently...

People really should get into music. They aren't aware of the satisfaction of having a great track under your belt. And making a game with the music you've made yourself is satisfying x2.

I'm getting my new sound card on monday perhaps, so I will start to do some guitar recording.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 17:46
I've been trying to learn to equalize and master audio over the last couple weeks, because it is something I'm not very good at. That's why I haven't posted anything up in a while.

@ Grandma:
What kinda sound card are ya thinking about getting? I use the Emu 1212m. I recommend it because it's good for recording and it comes with some great hardware effects.

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 20:57
Quote: "I've been trying to learn to equalize and master audio over the last couple weeks, because it is something I'm not very good at."

So have I.

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/maya44/
I've ordered this one. Seems to be pretty good. But what do you mean by hardware effects? That's not an area I've explored.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 22:26
I agree.
Well, can't really say I've come up with that much for this forum myself lately... I've been starting to look into an audio library which I might try to make simplified functions out of and turn into a plugin (it has some advantages like converting mp3's to wave data and being able to play even while the application is not in focus).

I've actually been thinking about starting to learn to play the guitar some time... seems rather nice (I'm only a pianist as of current).

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 06:32
I've been fiddling with the N64 goldeneye song these last two days. Here's the result if anyone is interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbayT6pjITA&fmt=18

I noticed how much better it sounds with a little tricking in the EQ department, however youtube made it sound a bit more bland as usual. I want to compose an original song that is at least 50% as awesome. That's too optimistic, though. For the last months, I haven't been able to compose anything decent.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 20:02
@ Grandma:
What I mean by hardware effects is that the sound card has the effects built into one of it's chips, on the actual sound card.
That way you can put effects on things before it even goes into your Digital Audio Workstation or whatever software you use to record. It works a lot faster that way than running normal effects in... let's say... vst mode.

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 20:26
i read this board everyday i should start posting more,lol iv just been looting off of this board you can count on more activity from me

RAMPAGE STOLE MY CHEEZ-ITS!
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 01:45 Edited at: 24th Sep 2008 13:58
So I finally got my new soundcard, as expected, it didn't work. No line input devices found? That would make recording difficult.

Is there some top-secret stuff I need to be able to record anything? I would think an amp, guitar, and a soundcard made for recording should be sufficient. Afteral, I was able to record just fine with the crappy mobo soundcard and windows sound recorder... But if I try anything more "pro", I just get stabbed in the eye.

I'm kind of asking for help here.

...oh, and please.

Edit:

Ok! Got it.

Not sure what the problem was, but it fixed itself, though I still can't access its properties from the control panel. I think the input/output settings must have been switched somehow, making the card think it was playing and not recording. Anyways, it's recording and recording good.

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 20:11
Is it on vista it`s a pain when it comes to audio recording , i suggest you try the asio for all driver its free and very low latency .

I use it with magix music maker and cubase , anyways good luck with your recordings and if you have any troubles gives us a shout i`ve been recording on pc`s since 2004 so i`ve got quite good at it i think lol .

nvidia geforce 8600gt + amd athlon 64
windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 00:58
@Grandma: nice to hear it's working as intended

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 13:25
@ chunks chunks
I'm using the asio driver and cubase came with the soundcard so that's fine and dandy.

@ Rudolpho
Indeed, I didn't expect it to work. It's my third soundcard I'm testing out, the previous two didn't quite work no matter how many drivers or OS's/computers I put them trough. That problem made me go insane for a while, more than usual.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 21:27
I like the music board. I am usually making the sound effects and voice overs for my own game.

Does anyone have ideas to reduce the noise of me clicking the off button on my recording mp3 player when I'm done with the recording? It makes this annoying click sound when the button goes down and records it before shuting off.

Your signature has been erased by a mod for being too big
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 22:20 Edited at: 25th Sep 2008 22:26
I think audacity has noise/click removal but ya just want leave it recording for a few extra seconds which allows space to edit the end without affecting the sample

Audacity is completly free and its a great sample editor , to export mp3s you need the lame dll but thats also free.

good luck chunks .

edit :

@ grandma , what card is it? ,i use an alesis usb mixer soundcard it`s great for audio and bypasses the input latency but because its usb it comes with no asio so hence the usage of asioforall , i find it works great upto about 24 tracks any more than that and it starts to click and pop .

but do ya really need more than 24 unless your recording an orchestra .

nvidia geforce 8600gt + amd athlon 64
windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 00:23
@Beast E Gargoyle: I use the free version of WavePad for most such mixing / editing needs.
Can't you just cut out the ending if what you want recorded is previously stored, by the way?

@Grandma: Ouch, how very chagrinning

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 01:10
Quote: "what card is it?"

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/maya44/
Quote: "but do ya really need more than 24 unless your recording an orchestra."

Well, I do consider myself multi-talented, but I guess everyone has their limits.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:07:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:07:26