Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Music Contest

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 02:16 Edited at: 30th Jul 2008 20:53
Contest:

Let get recording Boys! Create a track Any type of music will be accepted.

File format must be MP3 or WMA.

There is not restictions on the length of the song as everyone will vary.

I will provide the ftp for uploading when you are finished with the track.

RULES:

Must be a new track that you never used or released. If you have been working on it already that is fine. Please make sure it is your track as we are looking for creativity. Any type of music will be accepted. Only 1 track per person will be allowed so make it a good one.

Judges:

The community will vote the winners of the contest. When all of the tracks are uploaded I will post them online for everyone to listen to and than the voting will begin!

Please let me know if you want to help with the helping pick the best one.

1st Prize
Track will be featured in the game Kill The Booey that we will be releasing at the beginning of August. This will be a downloaded game at killthebooey.com and got the OK from the Howard Stern Show to release the game. You will play as the character Sal the stockbroker running around killing the The Ba Ba Booey. The game will have a plug on the show so your track will get over 1,000,000 views. The game will also feature music from Raymond Herrera's Project called ARKAEA. You can check them out here:

http://www.myspace.com/ARKAEAMUSIC

2nd Prize:
Model Pack with 50 Segments to use for FPSC and FPSX10

3rd Prize:
Web Hosting for FREE for 1 Year!

Any other ideas would be great. Prizes are not needed but might be good to juice up the contest a bit.

If anyone has any ideas for other prizes let me know. I figured this was a good start.

Let me know your guys thoughts so we can make this a killer contest!

Starting Time:

July 1st 2008

Ending Time:

August 5th 2008

FTP INFORMATION:

FTP Address: gamingtunes.com
username: u39931325-songs
password: songupload

Upload Instructions:

After you connect to FTP upload you song with the name if the track followed by an underscore with your username.

EXAMPLE:

mytrack_indie.mp3

If you have any issues please let me know.

Indie

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 02:22
Well, it's the middle of the night here, and I have to get up early tomorrow, so I can't elaborate right now, but seriously man, I was actually going to propose a contest to try and blow some additional life to this board tomorrow!

I'm in anyways.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 02:30 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 02:31
Rudolpho, if you want toss your ideas and we will merge them. let me know how you feel about that. I have other prize ideas but that is what I came up with... All good as I look forward to reading your ideas. All good and can't wait to get one going.

Indie

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 13:05
Well, it's all fine with me - I just meant that it was odd that it happened at the same time

So anyways, in my opinion the rules should be a bit broader, especially when it comes to the time limit. It's just plain annoying to have set time frames when composing; one might have to end up leaving out great parts and can't let the inspiration flow as free as it should be allowed to. I know, I'm currently working on a contribution to a musical contest where the songs have to be between 2:45 and 3:00 - it's a pain.

I suggest that the times are at least greatly prolonged from 45 -60 secs, or, preferably, removed alltogether (I sincerely doubt that anybody would write something longer than a few minutes anyways, but if their idea so requires, I think it should be allowed).
About the looping part, that's probably good, but I don't know if it has to be a restriction that only looping tracks are permitted to enter. (I myself seldom write truly looping music, as I suck at mixing the final product so that it actually loops seamlessly). I'll leave this decision to the community however.

About the formats, why not allow standard mp3 and wma files too?
Or do the ogg format allow for cue points?
Actually, not too few people can't even playback ogg vorbis by default, so perhaps that should be reconsidered.
Also, if we're to deal with a not-too-high bandwidth server, downloading wave files of decent resolution can take quite long.
(Typically 41KHz files take around 10 Mb per minute).

About the prizes, I don't really know. I don't think I have anything in particular to offer anyways. Maybe, just maybe, it isn't the greatest prize to offer a music pack for winning a composing contest however
If you had some other reward ideas, please post them up

On the other hand, while prizes might attract more contestants, it really isn't such a big necessity for a contest like this, I think. Just so that you know

I'm looking forward to hear how this will turn out.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 14:49
Count me in.

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 15:06
I'm okay with the rules, but are you allowed to submit more than one track? And if so, how would you go about judging them since there can only be one user per prize (I'm assuming :p)? Individually, or on the average?

Quote: "On the other hand, while prizes might attract more contestants, it really isn't such a big necessity for a contest like this, I think. Just so that you know"

Agreed, most do it for the love of music, not for materialistic purposes. I wouldn't say no-thanks to a prize if it would show up on my door-step though, metaphorically speaking. So don't feel compelled to remove them.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 15:37
Cool, this board needed a contest - the 3D and programming ones get contests, it might be an idea to run one of these each month - not necessarily with prizes, perhaps based on a theme, kind of like the 3D board's one.

Prizes are good and it tickles people's greedy side, but I've always like the idea of entering contests to improve on my skills, and I'm sure a lot here will share the same philosophy after all most people on these forums are out to improve. That said, no doubt I'll be entering and a prize might be a first off attraction yelling "Hey! Music's just as important!"

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 17:27
The 2D board has also started a contest I'll enter this, but I sure as hell won't win lol

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 18:27 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 18:42
Quote: "Well, it's all fine with me - I just meant that it was odd that it happened at the same time"

All good if you want to run it that is fine with me. I just though it was a good idea. I need help from everyone here so it is good to get everyones feedback. The rules will be changed to fit what everyone wants.

All good and will make changes to the rules when I see all the feedback. Rudolpho please let me know all of your thoughs and will make all of the changes that are needed...

I also changed the first prize to be featured in a future game for the Howard Stern Show. Let me know if that sounds like a good 1st place prize... Now the winner will have there music featured to a wide audience. Let me know your thoughs guys...

Indie

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 19:58 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 20:00
Quote: "I'll enter this, but I sure as hell won't win lol "

Never say that, you do your best and that's all you need to do, never know you might score great for effort, improvements or originality.

Of course if it sounds like random notes and sound terrible, not to worry just label it 'contemporary jazz', works all of the time, failing that, the post-modernism approach - "Listen to the notes you can't hear" or "it's an expression of the artist's state of mind". Basically say any old rubbish that raises its profile.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 20:09
How about some sort of remake or remix of a classic game song?

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 23:24
I would probably think it best that each user only posts one contribution, but maybe one could post a new one that will in such an event count instead of the earlier?
Several tracks per user would probably be fairly hard to judge (especially if the relevant user writes really good stuff).

@Indie: if you are going to include the winning track in some project, I think that the author must keep his rights to the track. Will that be so?

Quote: "Of course if it sounds like random notes and sound terrible, not to worry just label it 'contemporary jazz', works all of the time"

Haha, best comment I've heard in quite some time

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
@Rudolpho

yep. I figured if the winner was featured in a game release with there name all over the track would be good for the creator of the track. These prizes are just ideas and they all can happen. Just wanted to toss them out there and see everyones thoughts.

Quote: "I would probably think it best that each user only posts one contribution, but maybe one could post a new one that will in such an event count instead of the earlier?
"

1 Track per person for sure.

Rudolpho, I know you had this idea to so this is just as much your topic as it is mine. All good to say how you feel about every aspect of this contest and everything will be tweaked.

All good!

Indie

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 01:00
Arrrgh, I have 2 track candidates, and I just can't decide which one to enter with...

...I have a....uhmmmm friend, who BTW! also makes music....And he's not a member of this forum and ..ow....doesn't want to join for the sake of entering this compo. So how about I....uhmm "redirect" his song to this compo..? he would love that.

He's very good at making music.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 01:16 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 01:23
@Indie: Cool, I'll try to think of some more aspects then :p

@Grandma: How the... have you allready cooked up two tracks, without a midi controller?!
Anyways, I suggest that you select your "best" track (yeah, I know it can be hard to decide whichever that should be).

@Dan: I really think it should only be selfmade tracks, so no, preferably no remixes

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 01:30
I have cooked up 1 and a half. The half was a WIP that and made changes to fit with the rules + some irrelevant adjustments.

I can't decide which is "best" because they are so different that they each have different types of "best", if you know what I mean...

Soccerman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 18:48
Hi,

Yesterday I heard about this contest and made a metal-loop for fun with FL-Studio, but now where can I upload it ?

Greetings from Germany.
Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
@Soccerman

Nice man! I will post the FTP site up tonight for everyone to upload there tracks with instructions.

Indie

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 21:49
Alright, I will enter this compo. I think one track per person is fair. Although, I do want a deadline, honestly no deadline seems abit unprofessional. A decent one, but atleast a deadline would be good, because it would motivate me to work on my track.

All the best,

Beastegargoyle

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3d hack n slash http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124414&b=19
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 21:59 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 22:00
I thought the contest hadn't "really" started yet, hence no deadline?
Maybe August 1:st would be fair though? (Which would give almost a month).

@Grandma: Yeah, I know.

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Starting Time:

July 1st 2008

Ending Time:

August 1st 2008

That gives everyone Almost a month. That should be fair enough. Let me know what you guys think.

Indie

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 02:02
Sounds fair to me.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 06:08 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2008 06:09
Sounds great. I will get started right away.
Edit: To be a judge do I have to know alot about music to do it?

All the best,

Beastegargoyle

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3d hack n slash http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124414&b=19
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 23:47
@Beast E Gargoyle: I don't think that you should need a lot of theoretical expertise, if that's what you wondered.
Of course, it is desireable if you can actually tell what is "good" and what is "less good" and also argument on why you find the tracks as you do.

What I really wonder is, will the judges still be allowed to participate (as contestants), or does that just spell weird to everybody?

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 00:57 Edited at: 4th Jul 2008 01:07
Quote: "What I really wonder is, will the judges still be allowed to participate (as contestants), or does that just spell weird to everybody?"

The community will vote for the winners of the contest.

Indie

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 01:42
Quote: "The community will vote for the winners of the contest."

Should the authors be anonymous until after the voting?

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, that can be a good idea. Rudolpho, what do you think on that one. After the songs are uploaded I can post them as Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, etc... Than we can all vote on the winners.

Indie

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 05:03 Edited at: 4th Jul 2008 05:05
Awesome idea guys, to have every contestant email you his/her entry and than upload them on this forum as track 1,2 and so on, etc.

I've started on my piece yeah!
Major edit: I only have a .wmv recorder. Can i use that format?

All the best,

Beastegargoyle

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
@Beast E Gargoyle

yes, I will even reformat anything needed. Just upload with your song name followed by your forum name:

Like this:

songname_indie

Indie

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 12:31 Edited at: 4th Jul 2008 16:05
Sure thing, that would make it a bit more interresting
(Guess the composer, anyone? )

Maybe we should keep their original names though (instead of Track_x)?
(For example, let's say we have a fifth song named Otto's theme, it could keep that name instead of being renamed Track 5).

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes sure will. That was just an example. The tacks will have the names on them because that is the themes of the songs. All good as this will be great. Get composing everyone! I am getting mine ready!!!

Indie

metalkill
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice I will enter.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 00:20
Welcome onboard

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 19:52 Edited at: 7th Jul 2008 19:52
Yeah!, I finished my entry this morning. It's a short little song that I made up and thought was alright.

P.S. Indie PC Games I have sent you an email with the song attached.
Edit: What is your email address Indie PC Games?

All the best,

Beastegargoyle

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 20:02 Edited at: 7th Jul 2008 20:03
Indie's adress is kipphut@optonline.net
Man, I've got so much to do lately, I haven't even had time to begin with my entry yet :/

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I have a couple of submissions already for the contest. You can upload them or email them to me or Rudolpho (jams_soffstudio@msn.com). I will post all of the songs leaving the submissions anonymous so we can all vote on the best 3... Good Luck everyone and lets get producing!

Indie

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 03:09
Uploading mine, it's not that great, but it'll do (it's a loop), I'm a newbie. But I might note that my song was made with a Demo of Fruity Loops, thus I doubt it can be used commercially

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 09:13
humm... i will enter a song im writting now on qmidi.

It will ..again be more like a music loop retro_game_type theme but thats all im interested in writting.
Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 07:55
I Finally just got started on my track... I figure I'll spend an hour or two on it everyday til it's done.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 10:54 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 20:35
Good for you, I still haven't got to even start it.
Mostly because one of my sample libraries needs to be transfered from an old computer that doesn't have a dvd drive... very tiresome business (and no, that harddrive is too old for my new computer, so the easy way won't work either).

Edit: ah, screw it, I'll just get the dvd from my father's place later on; I've finally begun writing another type of song now that doesn't need those patches anyways.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 12:33
I'm still working on some of my library stuff too. I'm still using a demo version of the Kontakt 3 sampler. I need it for the East West Quantum leaps Choir, because the Kompakt sampler they give with it FREAKIN SUCKS!!! The problem with the Kontakt 3 demo is I have to reopen it every thirty minutes. I'm starting to think they purposely give you a crappy Kompakt sampler so you'll spend the money to buy Kontakt 3. A good thing though, I can get the Kontakt 3 sampler half off because I purchased the Symphonic choir.

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Good job guys. We have 4 entries upload so far and time is running out. Get producing fella's!!! All good and looking froward to listening to all the tracks!

Indie

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 22:21 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 22:22
I emailed you a song this morning...

Also if your a qmidi user you can download the source with the Qmidi_Online button
Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I emailed you a song this morning... "

Yes, Got it.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 15:30
@Agent Joe: That's rather funny, since the library I was talking about was the EWQL SC as well.
Yeah, I agree that the Kompakt sampler is absolutely inferior for the Symphonic Choirs; it can't even load more than one piece at once, and in doing so, it still drains about 1,5Gb ram...
However, EWQL doesn't own Kontakt (neither Kompakt, but that one is apparently sold by Native Instruments to most sample library developers to supply a means of using the samples without the need to buy a separate sampler). It should be noted that the Kompakt player was made quite some time ago and probably haven't been updated since. And of course, NI want's to make more money on people bying their "real" sampler (Kontakt).

And dang, I had to pay full price for Kontakt...

But didn't you use Sonar or something; I thought most EWQL libraries was sold in formats that supported all the major samplers out there (such as GigaStudio and probably Sonar too), no?

@Indie: Yeah, I'm working on it, but it takes it's time

@SMD_3D: Nice

@Joe (again): By the way, are you intending to have the choirs actually sing stuff or just use some of the choirs as they are?
Wordbuilder used to get stuck on notes a lot on my old computer... :/

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 07:07
When I purchased the EWQLSC, I didn't see the other formats for sale. But it's alright because Sonar Producer uses Kontakt 3 like it would any other plugin.

I will be having the choir sing some stuff. The word builder only caused me problems when I was using the Kompakt sampler. Now it goes through as easy as cake in a fat kids mouth.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 16:11
Quote: "All good"

Now I know that's a lie, I've entered mine. I wasn't pleased with mine, but it's practice nevertheless.

DqP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 00:15 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2008 00:55
Just uploaded mine on ftp.

Question: What's the preferred genre? I mean I can turn the one uploaded on ftp to the one attached. They are basically the same melody, so should I develop more the attached one?

Meshmap
Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the universe

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 13:06 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2008 13:07
@Agent Joe: Ah, I see. Just thought it would be a bit expensive to need to purchase both Sonar and Kontakt (I myself can do just about everything I need with Kontakt only).

On the singing, cool

@DqP: The genre is whatever you like; there's no requirements (allthough I can give you a hint; should your contribution be some sort of jazz, it won't get my vote )

Also, it's one song per user.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 21:34
Quote: "(allthough I can give you a hint; should your contribution be some sort of jazz, it won't get my vote )"

Funny, I was tempted by putting in loads of random notes and calling it contemporary Jazz, except instead I took those notes, put them into a regular fashion, put in some rockin' instruments and came out with somethings a little better.

Should have gone for comtemporary jazz, might have gotten the 'humour' vote.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:25:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:25:56