Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Does the Physx driver provided by nvidia works with other video cards?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been wondering if the new driver provided by nvidia which makes the physx system works in the software mode, work with a non-nvidia cards.

I've been working on this game for some contest. And I changes the whole collision/physics system to work under "dark physx". But I am very concerned that my game won't work on 95% of the testers.

The good news is. It's seperated from the nvidia video card driver. But still would that make it work under a non-nvidia card ?????
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 15:58
First of all, I think you're trying to say the nVidia PPU(Physics Processing Unit). With the latest DP update and Drivers, you can run the PhysX features in software mode, only it will be slower than WITH the Ageia PPU, unless you have an extremely fast CPU.

But if you're asking about the nVidia card vs. others, as long as it's decent, has enough video memory, ect...it should work fine. As for me, I have a slow computer, Pentium III ~1.0 Ghz, latest DX 9.0c, and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, but running on the Catalyst 7.11 drivers, seeing as some of my programs, if running latest Catalyst drivers, don't work very well without the 7.11 or rather, for most, 7.10 through 7.12. So, in short, the answer to both of your qestions is yes, atleast from my experience, as long as EVERYTHING is up to date, you can run it in software mode. But I would suggest getting the latest update for your PC setup for DBPro as possible. Just make sure the DBPro Update is still stable on your PC. Even though my PC is old, I have the LATEST update 6.9 or something like that. But EVERY PC IS DIFFERENT!!! So use what suits you best...

MickeyIII
Towfieee
Years of Service
User Offline
I have no problem at all with my computer. I have the toshiba satellite x205. Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT with SLI. Eventhough I don't have ageia PPU but it still runs fine after adding hundreds of objects to the scene. if not thousands.

Like I said I was worried about if people are going to be able to run the nvidia PPu on there computers even if they didn't have nvidia video card.

I was able to test today on a computer with a built-in video card. Believe it or not ... It worked fine.This PC didn't have DB on it or anything. So the runtime files work fine on most PCs I guess.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 02:07:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 02:07:47