Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Music in the Store

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 02:33
Ok, i was just looking in the store and noticed the music had no preview, Am i missing something, i highly doubt people will buy a song for $4.00 and cant even listen to it. Is this what v.12 was?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 02:45
V.12 has music preview for me. See attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 02:54
ok cool ill download it then thanks NickyDude

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 02:55
Yes, but some of its a little too pricey for me. I mean, If I can download a song off A source like itunes or rapsody for $1, but I need to pay $4 for music for my game, isn't that a little much.

Btw going by USD

Planet Hell Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=129712&b=25
metalkill
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "$4 for music for my game, isn't that a little much"

That is way too much. The best Artists in the world sell there songs for a buck. That is a fair price for a tune. $4 is way too much. Who has it priced at $4??? Maybe it was a mistake. I have not downloaded the new version yet so I have yet to see...

TJ

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 03:10 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 04:24
As a musician, I'm all for getting paid. I don't think you can compare these loops with iTunes however. Simply because that $1 on iTunes doesn't allow you to use the song in a product that you'll make money off of. Now to talk from both sides, I would add that the FPSC market probably won't support loops for more than $1 each unless a developer has exclusive rights.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 03:33
yes argreed

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 03:35 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 03:36
If the song has a good hook, enough so that it is memorable and has you humming along, then I'd gladly pay $4.00 for commercial use of it.

On the other hand, if the song might as well be called "GENERIC FRUITY LOOPS PHAT TECHNO BEAT", then I'll pass. Anyone can call themselves a musician and pound out that stuff in about 10 minutes.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 03:50
yes i just listened to all the tracks no offense to the artist but all they are is simple techno beats, with a few bass hits and some keyboard effects, Plus Since when did techno or "electronica" fit in with fps games

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 04:47 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 04:52
Anything custom made in music, models or anything else for that matter has a price... There is a lot of hard work that goes into even the worst model or song as all levels of expertise are different. And that is ok because it is the original effort that counts. I agree with Bond1 and would pay a few bucks for a song used for a commercial game. This will cost much more if you get license to put a game out by a signed artist. I can say this.... a track priced at $4 dollars will not get many sales as artists suffer trying to get rid of them for .99! Like ITunes and other mp3 LEAGAL sites tracks are about .99 across the board so a buck is a good price tag for a good song with a killer hook.

Quote: "On the other hand, if the song might as well be called "GENERIC FRUITY LOOPS PHAT TECHNO BEAT", then I'll pass. Anyone can call themselves a musician and pound out that stuff in about 10 minutes."

That is true with any track. I know I can spend weeks on a track just trying to get it right. I am sure that is the case with the great models you put out Bond1 no? They are very much the same once the tweaking stages come into play... Messing around until they are right...

EDIT

Wow... All the songs are $4...

Indie

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 04:52
Just to clarify, indie i listened to your stuff some of it is simple but its all good. i was reffering to one of the artists i think it was steve paul, if he lowers prices he will get sales

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 04:56
For those who don't know Fruity Loops or Acid, maybe these are of great value. What's simple for you, may not be for some.

Techno in fps games? Ever hear of a movie called Blade? And a band called The Crystal Method? Perfect music for the fight scenes. I think the Bourne Identity movies may have also. And I'll leave it to you to define techno, house, trance, trip-hop, and electronica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQqySvS0iw

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 04:58 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 05:00
Quote: "Just to clarify, indie i listened to your stuff some of it is simple but its all good. i was reffering to one of the artists i think it was steve paul, if he lowers prices he will get sales"

All good brother, thanks a bunch. I kept these tracks simple allowing them to be perfectly seamless. Plus they will blend in real good as the backround of levels along with level loading songs. I tried to mix a bit of everything in the first 20 tracks. In my opinion, $4 is way too much for a track on the game store and anywhere for that matter. But that being said, anything that is custom created has a price.

Indie

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 05:05
If you ever make some horror tracks my cash is in your pocket bro.

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 05:21
$4.00 for indie developers might be pushing it a little, especially if everybody can use it in their games.

kool man
Years of Service
User Offline
hey
I know this isn't really your answer but you can make your own music
There are heaps of music maker and there cheap such as dance ejay or music 2000 and it's easy to do.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 10:23
Can you set your own music price for the store Indie?

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can you set your own music price for the store Indie?"

@Nickydude

Yes. 100-500 points. I think 100 points is fair for sure for a good track that is seamless... It is setup just like anthing else when setting up the uploads to the store.

Quote: "$4.00 for indie developers might be pushing it a little, especially if everybody can use it in their games."

I agree also. 400 points is a bit high for any song.

Quote: "make some horror tracks"

I have a couple in the first 20 tracks I added to the store. I will create some good horror tracks and upload them within the month for sure. Horror tracks are great!

Stay tuned....

Indie

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like some really minimalist horror ambience tracks. The stuff where you just can't quite make out what the sounds are. Like some glassy "pad" type sounds that fade in and out, accented with some sounds like very faint moans and screams in the background, mixed with some heavy doors creaking and shutting. Nothing in your face, just muffled enough to be unsettling.

By the way, does anyone remember the music from the original Shadowman game? It was kind of a sleeper hit. But man did it have some great creepy music. Probably the best use of electronica type music I've ever heard in a game.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Gamers Gear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 03:00
Quote: "Plus Since when did techno or "electronica" fit in with fps games"

*Makes violent coughings*

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
If you say people sell it for a dollar on other sites, I believe that they are not for commercial use...

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 03:46 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 03:47
Quote: "I would like some really minimalist horror ambience tracks. The stuff where you just can't quite make out what the sounds are. Like some glassy "pad" type sounds that fade in and out, accented with some sounds like very faint moans and screams in the background, mixed with some heavy doors creaking and shutting. Nothing in your face, just muffled enough to be unsettling."

Yea that sounds hot. I will do that and you can than test your killer models with the music. Not only faint screams and creapy stuff but some monk fainted chants and stuff. Give me a week or two and I will mix something up for you while you test you next models. I will email you the track when ready. Than I will continue on and make a killer horror pack.

Quote: "By the way, does anyone remember the music from the original Shadowman game? It was kind of a sleeper hit. But man did it have some great creepy music. Probably the best use of electronica type music I've ever heard in a game"

Sure do... The game was killer.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/shadowman/index.html

Some of the best horror music in any game.

Quote: "If you say people sell it for a dollar on other sites, I believe that they are not for commercial use..."

That is correct. You would have to get permission from the band and sometimes even the record label. That all will depend on who owns the rights to the music. So, if a track is being sold on the store for a buck and it can be used for commercial use it is well worth it.

Indie

TBGalive
Years of Service
User Offline
buy from Itunes just DO NOT sell your game
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 04:38
Quote: "buy from Itunes just DO NOT sell your game "

You can't include music even if you give the games away.

You'd be giving them copies of music they didn't pay for. No matter what, you have to get permission from the artist or owner of the music catalog.

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 04:47 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 04:47
Quote: "You can't include music even if you give the games away."

That is correct. Only for personal use.

Quote: "You would have to get permission from the band and sometimes even the record label"

Indie

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 21:58
Just wait for my music. İ'm not in it for profit so....

Currently i'm ın a turkısh ınternet cafe (dunno what these are keys are Ğ, Ü, Ş, Ö, Ç) so İ can't upload.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 05:26:14
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 05:26:14