Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Please forgive this post... Were you looking for me? --Signed: Jason P Sage

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 01:48 Edited at: 12th Jul 2008 01:50
I know this is silly, but I heard from someone who has been frequenting this board/forum more than I have as of late (due to other commitments), that people were looking for me. I don't want to be "unavailable" to my fellow DarkGDK fans.

So - my contact info is always available - and making a post out of the blue and expecting me to by chance happen accross it - at least for the time being is very slim.

So feel free to contact me in this thread for random stuff if you want - I'll get the email notifications.

--Happy Coding!

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 03:29
Quote: "that people were looking for me"

Yeah, many people. I thought you went on vacation, which is fine. This will be interesting what post's you get. Also, how is Iron Infantry coming along? Have you updated it again? I haven't really been watching it like I wanted to, I think it has a lot of potential.

www.globalwarfare.tk
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 18:20 Edited at: 12th Jul 2008 18:21
Nope, I just follow you around waiting for little tidbits of wisdowm to fall so I can scoop them up and give them a nice home..

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 19:44
Ditto.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 20:34
@Programming Maniac -
Quote: "Yeah, many people."
Nice to feel missed
Quote: "I thought you went on vacation,"
I wish! LOL
Quote: "which is fine."
Would be most excellent.
Quote: "This will be interesting what post's you get."
From what I see so far - very interesting!
Quote: "Also, how is Iron Infantry coming along?"
I have not abandoned this project! I Swear! I also haven't been able to do much on it for a number of reasons. I'll address this in the bottom of my message - and then post it on the web site as well.
Quote: "Have you updated it again?"
No.
Quote: "I haven't really been watching it like I wanted to,"
Well I'm honored you stop in now and again!
Quote: "I think it has a lot of potential."
So do I.
@KISTech -
Quote: "Nope, I just follow you around waiting for little tidbits of wisdowm to fall so I can scoop them up and give them a nice home.. "
Kind words for sure, and I regret that I'm not hanging out here as much as I would like. As I mentioned above - I have a commercial endeavor that is getting all my "GFX" oriented programming time for sure. Additionally, I was just forced to build a machine from "stuff" I had kicking because my PC with my NVidea GEForce 512 megs ram AGP - is/was dying. I had to reboot multiple times to get it to work - and this is unacceptable.

I gutted an ION Expernal 200 Gig USB drive (for the 200g disk drive of course) and took this dual core (AMD) HP Pavilion I bought a bit back - and swapped out my better Power suppy (600w), took my 80gig drive (for OS) and the 200gig Drive (For programming stuff, games whatever) and swapped out my DVD(rw) and CDROM(rw) with the ones in the HP - so my Nero Software would work etc... So in short (too late) I swapped EVERYTHING but the motherboard! LOL But I now have an empty PCI Express slot - and an On Board ATI 64meg... PATHETIC GFX!! But the PC does seem to be faster than my single core....

So next week I plan to buy a decent PCI express video card. Any suggestions?

@Mahoney -
Quote: "Ditto."
you're too kind.

IRON INFANTRY
We all know its pretty dang tough to write a block buster single handedly, so this isn't my aim. However, I am a fan of these combat games that have a good amount of immersion. Not because I like war - because real war I think is a very evil thing and I'm not about the violence in real life at all - however for a game - I think its the perfect balance of high speed action, strategy, and having a game like Battlefield or ArmA or Men of Valor usually gives you more than a gun for a strategy to "win" or survive. Knowing when a vechicle is advantageous - or flying a heli for air superiority over some armored tanks - yet being vunerable to infantry hand launched rockets and mini heat seeking SAM's - well - I think its cool. I want iron infantry to be FAST playing, and sort of have a paper, rock, scissors sort of game play in that - each "role" you play has its pros and cons. This is nothing new to this genre - however what is (or will be) novel is a simple user interface (hopefully like Half Life) with a open game play (mostly non-linear) with emphasis on playability over eye candy.

Ok - My issue - as I said is I've been busy on this commercial venture - and this is 100% dx RAW stuff I'm doing. So, I'm building up a bit of DX know how for dx9 anyways, and I have a code lib not unlike the DarkGDK OOP library I wrote for DX now. I'm using VS 2005 C++, and the Same DirectX SDK Aug 2007 that we all use with DarkGDK.

I haven't covered all facets of "game coding" in DX as I'm working with static meshes alot... but I have things like timing code, destroy/restore device, windowed/fullscreen, loading and saving mesh data, camera manipulation, Object manipulation, light control, materials (how light interacts with surface) and my buddy David W has his own dx9 thing going on and has Ageia working and even the device interrogation, while I have a complete adapter lib which allows multiple monitors, multiple adapters working individually, or multiple adapters grouped to serve one monitor...

So between us helping each other - its reasonable that I'll have the Ageia stuff working before hopefully to to long - with his help. (He said it wasn't so bad - but I don't know yet - seemed a bit tricky but I haven't tried it first hand myself yet)

So - the theory is that EVEN though I say Iron Infantry is "idle" for the moment - the truth is - its looking like its going to be written natively in C++/DX9 and I just have a lot to do yet.

This is one project I am VERY determined to see through! Including Multiplayer modes etc.

--Jason

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 20:55 Edited at: 12th Jul 2008 20:55
Quote: "you're too kind."

KISTech said it so well, that I didn't think I could match it. But, if you'd prefer a drawn out comment, then I'll give you one at the end.

Quote: "So next week I plan to buy a decent PCI express video card. Any suggestions?"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127306

It's a wonderful deal and a wonderful card. I highly recommend it. Even the cheap cards aren't much cheaper, and are MUCH slower. If you have a different budget in mind, just give me a range and I'll find something good.

And now, for my extended comment:

Jason, you've been a big help to me and the rest of us in many different ways. You always have encouraging and helpful things to say. I may even get serious about assembly because of your influence! So, we all give our utmost thanks to you.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 00:00
Jason, I have an update. The GeForce 8600 is not the best deal for that price range. This is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103051

It's an amazing deal for the money.
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 08:37
Mahoney, can you find me an AGP 8x video card for $90 or less?

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 11:16
Lolz Jason in wanted by the FBI - Forum's Best I.. w/e.. XD! Glad to see you still sticking around here! Good thing you have not abandoned Iron infantry! Cheers!

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 17:57
@Zuka

Here ya go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121222

Also, for just a little more, you can get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102718

It has GDDR3 ram instead of GDDR2. It makes quite the performance difference.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 20:29
@Mahoney - thanx for the Vid Card links - I have a PCI x16... I think I have to choose a card that is not PCI v2. (Is this right? I don't know for certain)

@Zuka - Wipe... LOL Mahoney has given me some good links - and I am almost sold on ATI over nVidea - unless I find nVidea with physx for decent price - but I'm starting to think ATI is faster.

@zapakitul - what's up my Man! How things going with your projects of late?

Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 21:09
Wow, the reviews on that first one are horrible. I'ma get the second one.

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 21:12
Quote: "I think I have to choose a card that is not PCI v2. (Is this right? I don't know for certain)"

PCIE 2.0 is completely compatible with 1.0. But, the 2.0 cards are much more expensive. What price rang are you looking at? Also, is your case big enough for a larger card?

Quote: "Wow, the reviews on that first one are horrible. I'ma get the second one."

Yeah. GDDR3 FTW.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 21:32
@Mahoney - Thank You, I wasn't aware. there was a day when I knew all about hardware and chipsets - but my time has been focused on coding for years - and hardware is an after thought - (Multicore? Yes No?, dx9 and GL? y/n) Lots of mem and HD space! LOL

So, I wasn't aware that the 2.0 would fit my "pci express x16) and BTW - I just brought a HP Pavilion back to life - dual core, my own dvd and cd (versus their light scribe stuff... stripped gear on drawer) and the CDrom rw I wanted my own so nero would still work - new power etc..and its a "mid size tower" and though I've filed the box up a bit - there is ample room for a vid card - even one of those new fangled dual bay (ATI for example has one where it use space for 2 slots, and one slot has the vga connect/digi connect and the other has (same plate of metal BTW) has air vent cut into it and serves as part of an elaborate cooling system (which I think looks awesome and powerful... aesthetically anyways LOL) I'll read reviews before delving into thy pockets of limited resources LOL

thanx Again!

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 21:41
HP Pavilion is MicroATX. So, you'll need a card no larger than the 8600 GT I posted. That rules all 8800's out. And the Radeon 3850 I posted a link to is to long for mATX. Sorry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:17:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:17:28