Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The real X9 Vs. X10

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 11:40
I've seen alot of people giving these, but most are highly biased, well I will not be. I have been using X9 for a long time, and I am about to cross over to X10. There are pros and cons for both:

X9:
Pros:
More graphics
Larger community
More resources and scripts
Shop

Cons:
Weak graphics
Awful segments and shading
Not easily scriptable (more heavy scripts)
Community graphics are slowly being killed by the shop

X10:
Pros:
Excellent Graphics
Great modification ingame (deeper characters)
Ragdoll physics
Will soon have shop and graphics packs
Water
Shaders and Effects
Most X9 graphics work with it anyway

Cons:
Less graphics
Smaller community
Graphics pack slow updates
Requires deeper thought (could be a Pro as well though)
Vista Requirement

So in total I would say X10 is better. Please don't flame me for saying this, think of it this way, X10 was made to be better!

So both have pros and cons, sadly X9 is weaker, and X10 will sooner or later have the extras X9 has, but thats what it was made for! X10 was made as a better version!

My site: www.skyknight.co.uk
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 11:46
Quote: "Community graphics are slowly being killed by the shop"

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
What's the point in posting this?

Like you said, there's plenty of other threads about this, so why not just post your opinion in them?

Jasonorc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 12:50
Because all the ones I have seen re biased, either saying "X10 is better in every way, X9 has nothing" Or the other way. I have stated the real pros and cons of both

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 13:14
I dotn see why any of your cons for x10 would be cons. Its just the truth, deal with it .

Jasonorc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 13:35
They are the truth, thats the point, even though they can be dealt with, they are still problems at the moment. Soon there will be more models, the community will grow, And (as sad as it is) Vista is taking over.

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 14:01
Hehe, so you are the only one being able to deliver an objective and unbiased listing of X9/X10 pros and cons?

I'm trying not to laugh too loud Some of your points are highly subjective and not exactly academic. "Community graphics are slowly being killed by the shop", "Excellent Graphics", "Requires deeper thought" and "Awful segments and shading" to name a few.

Realise that you, like everyone else, have made your own subjective opinions of FPSC X9 and X10. Don't go out and say that your opinions are more true than what others think.

I will give you that Ragdoll and Vista requirements are examples of hard facts
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 14:26
Quote: "Some of your points are highly subjective and not exactly academic. "Community graphics are slowly being killed by the shop", "Excellent Graphics", "Requires deeper thought" and "Awful segments and shading" to name a few."

Well, the shaders in X9 are awful; dysfunctional and ridiculously heavy on the frame-rate.

-Astek Games Developer-
Jasonorc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 14:36
I accept those opinions, but I do have to state, they are faily community wide opinions. You must understand that, although it's an opinion, it's a fairly factual opinion. Example: Most think that eating live cockroaches soaked in cow dung and then half digested by a moldy cow stomach is disgusting, but there are probably people who do it (or similar) But that doesn't change the fact that to the masses it's a fairly distinct answer.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 14:57
Quote: "Most think that eating live cockroaches soaked in cow dung and then half digested by a moldy cow stomach is disgusting"

I think only a minority of people find it disgusting. The rest of us revel in its tangy flavour... mmmmmmmmmm

[center]
Jasonorc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 16:06
I am ow disturbed and horrified at life and the universe. I will have nightmares for years...

lukex10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 22:11
yeah the x10 things arnt cons because there not stuff within the software.plus i think after fpsc x9 v2.x10 will be getting other stuff
and recoded ragdoll so the ragdoll will be better.

new pc for chrismas is nvidia 8800gtx ADM 4800 2.5ghz 2gb ram 250 gb hard drive
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 14:15 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 14:16
Quote: "and recoded ragdoll so the ragdoll will be better."

you know what would be nice, editable ragdoll, xD. kinda like you can do in steam. you know, like editing the weight of the NPCS, so you could have some flying through the air unrealistically and some just plopping over.

You'll Know When You See It.

Signature made by me.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 04:17
I don't see anywhere in your listings that say:

X9 engine is open source and can be modified by users.

That's a huge PRO for X9 over X10 to many people, and may even be the only reason some people prefer X9 over X10.

I also don't see:

- X9 does not require additional licensing to create large scale commercial games.

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 04:33
And what would "more graphics" mean?
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 05:01
I suppose in the sense that the Playstation 2 has "more graphics" than the Playstation 1.

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 06:25
The only reason I won't go to X10 is because it is only VISTA and only gamers who have VISTA can play them. I still don't know too many young people who have VISTA (actually I don't know of any -- just adults). All of my games, except one, are educational and the educational institutions are not moving over to VISTA very fast. So . . .

And, I am still patiently waiting for the migration where there is some of the X10 features implemented into X9. That will be cool.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 06:41
But he said in X9's cons that it has "weak graphics", while X10 has "strong graphics". I can only imagine that he means X9 has more available entities than X10.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 07:59
Yea, I didn't know what he meant by that. Especially since X9 actually has more graphics available than X10. The only reason X10 has better looking graphics is because the new generation of graphics hardware and DirectX10 to take advantage of the capabilities. Or at least I think that's the way it is.

And of course all of that is more costly.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 08:50
I think that point is insignificant since most X9 entities will work in X10.

Quote: "The only reason X10 has better looking graphics is"

That's like saying, the only reason x9 has a larger community is because it's older.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 09:24
Actually, the only reason X10 looks better, is because Dark Basic Pro is not made to handle such graphics... Take BioShock for example, looks better then X10 in my opinion.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Ply.... We need mods

I dont see much wrong with X9 graphics if you use the right models and textures and the correct usage of lights
icycold 2367
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 00:49
I think that they should make more video cards available and such when they released x10, thats why im not using it. There's a con for you of x10 is its Nvidia only video card support at the moment.

My Website Address...

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 01:32
It's about the manufacturers implementation of the X10 standards. I don't believe there is any code specific to Nvidia cards. However, you have to use someone as a standard to go by. Just like Windows performing different on different hardware. That's why you see so many driver updates.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
sonicreator 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 03:00
The current DirectX10 cards will not be the best cards (they will probably be lower than the budget cards) in the future, because if they were made to be, each card will cost in excess of $100,000, or something like that...

why?

Because we dont have the technology. In the future, we will.

FPSCX10 is better, cause it uses new technology, and it uses that new stuff to make the old stuff work better. Think it of as a Geforce 8800GTX playing a game designed for the Geforce 4MX...

But in this case, the original is getting more updates, and stuff, and soon, it will be as good as, or even better than X10, BECAUSE its been around longer, and has a larger fan base. There are no mods for X10, there are a lot of high quality mods for X9, and there is a few tons of custom media. Soon in the future, people will all move over to X10. There was a term for this.. but I forgot the term

-SC
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 08:53
Quote: "Actually, the only reason X10 looks better, is because Dark Basic Pro is not made to handle such graphics... Take BioShock for example, looks better then X10 in my opinion. "

Lol x10 is made in darkBASIC Professional also
Take a look at this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_kgpYygQgE

[url=][/url]The Ultimate Battle Mod, high fps, particles, and more.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 11:52
Yes, but X10 is made in DBP X10, not X9....

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 12:17
Quote: "Lol x10 is made in darkBASIC Professional also
Take a look at this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_kgpYygQgE"

as Coffee Grunt stated, its made in DBP X10, not DBP. Thats why I said that... Really, it was not THAT hard to understand right?

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 20:50
Quote: "That's a huge PRO for X9 over X10 to many people, and may even be the only reason some people prefer X9 over X10."

Bingo If X9 wasn't open source (or if X10 was ) I'd be soley focused on X10 right now. Probably working out some evil scheme to get it to choose between DX9 and DX10 modes

Haven Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 21:29
This thread is pointless as of now because right now X9 is ahead in features, but X10 could create a better looking game in the future after the plan (go to Fps creator X10 forum then FPS creator X10 plan) X10 will kill X9

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 00:27
Quote: "Because all the ones I have seen re biased, either saying "X10 is better in every way, X9 has nothing" Or the other way. I have stated the real pros and cons of both"

If I may state the obvious, you are being very biased. Yes, you've analysed both, but you blatantly come down on one side. I'm sorry to say that's biased. And almost everything you've stated is opinion, not fact. What's more is that you make this thread as shallow as another "X9 vs X10" thread. What we need (IF we need it) Is an impartial and factual list that draws no conclusions of it's own, instead we're left to make that decision for ourselves. You claim not to be biased, but you explicity state that X10 was made to be better! Well, I'm starting to repeat myself...

I troll because I care.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 01:29
It's like Mac vs PC.

One can't be better without knowing your requirements. The product that fits your requirements the best is the best for you.

The problem is that most create requirements based on what the product offers. If it has water, then I need water. If it has bloom, then I need bloom. If it has headshots, I need headshots. Very few people here actually work out their games before they start building them. I'm not saying that's wrong, (I think it is wrong, but I'm not saying so!) but that's what could lead you to trying to build a game using the wrong product.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:23:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:23:01