Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / TGC Comp: 15 Architecture Design [7/16 - 8/10]

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2008 20:35 Edited at: 16th Jul 2008 20:39
Jasiek has spoken on behalf of the two winners from last competition(DarkCoder and Jasiek), and the next competition is...

Quote: "architecture design contest(let your imagination go though, you can either design an RTS-like building thing, or an FPS-like thing, or a scene if you want, or just a single building or whatever you like, just remember architecture is the main topic)."

Let your imagination go wild, as this competition will give a chance for non-organic modelers to show off. Or maybe we'll see some organic architecture, who knows, I'm ready to see some great 3D geometry!

Post your final entries in the final entry thread before August 11.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2008 20:49
Sweet, about a month, gives me plenty of time
Great compo idea Jasiek, never done architecture design before!

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2008 23:22 Edited at: 16th Jul 2008 23:22
ok then guys, i'll start it off - this is after about 1 - 1.5 hours work.

I Will keep on working on it, i'm aiming for a City Street.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2008 23:44
So are there any prices for this one?

Jasiek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 14:26
Guess not, would be cool if there was like a prize given twice a year to the holders of most wins in the competitions. and it'd be like 3 programs of your choice or something like that .
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 14:36
Quote: "Guess not, would be cool if there was like a prize given twice a year to the holders of most wins in the competitions. and it'd be like 3 programs of your choice or something like that .
"

Agreed, this is a great idea actually. Someone should implement it.

dragon assasin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 15:33
can we model off of concept art we made before the compo (im asuming yes) convieniently i have been concepting out buildings for a complete warhammer 40k race.

warning i cant spell
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 15:39 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 15:39
Dragon assassin I can not find any reason why you wouldn't be able to.

dragon assasin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 16:13 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 16:30
yeah i didnt think so i think im going to do my power generator or slag pile.

(Remember im doing warhammer 40 k race)if you want more substantial building thats ok but i figured that i would build as many buildings as i can and post them as one base

edit: going off my current plans i should be able to make it with 1936 polygons total, though i worry it wont look round enough it is enough polygons to make it look like itself and and be hame ready

warning i cant spell
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
half adozen sketchs later,

am aiming for a memorial, my grandad passed away today so this will give me something to take my mind off it...

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:27
As there is no poly count limit on this one I'm going to try and create an entire city and texture it, as I have a lot of time until the eleventh (basically I'm free from EVERYTHING, no work, no anything, just free time.) So I'll spend almost all my free time at this compo. Whatever, I have no life ;P
Will post a work in progress shot as I get the first 4 buildings up, almost there.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
same here ive got six different buildings at the moment am aiming for at least 20 at the most so there wont be a repeated effect,

ive added panels type thing and the main tower will have a waterfall in the centre(thats what the basic blue is)

might try to trow in some organics in the renders

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 22:39
@dragon assasin

Yes, concept art is fine at any stage. Just as long as you haven't made any 3D geometry yet.

@Jasiek

Yes, I try for prizes every once in a while to reward users. TGC cannot always provide them, but I could always look into third parties if the competition grows.

(Formerly Yellow)
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:32
Hmm...I've got the day off tomorrow and it's supposed to rain, so maybe I'll give this a go. Brace yourselves for my Gothic arches!

...Maybe. I actually have no idea what I'll make yet...

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, like they should be.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 00:33
As I've been modelling Gilgamesh, the obvious thing to model for this is the city of Uruk...which will be a bugger, but I've got Torque Constructor (which is great for architecture) plus I've already got started. Doubt I'll enter the whole city, but I'm creating a game demo with Gilgamesh and Uruk in, so my aim is to finish the city eventually.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 00:46
Quote: "Yes, I try for prizes every once in a while to reward users. TGC cannot always provide them, but I could always look into third parties if the competition grows.
"

Well the one time you have prices it basically brought back life into these compo's, before there were almost no people at all and now there is a whole bunch of them, even though there are no prices.

dragon assasin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 06:05 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 06:05
With pride i give you my current progress on my plasma generator, i swear these comptitions triple my skills each time i take part

warning i cant spell

Attachments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 14:26 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 15:23
This is what I have so far of Uruk, though I'm not following plans of the actual city (perhaps I ough) but basing them off of various Sumerian and Babylonian cities, including Uruk itself.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 14:50
I like yours Seppuku the entire castle style looks awesome, I might as well show what I have so far, and yes for anyone clever enough to notice, these first four buildings are from one of the digital tutors training dvd's (the last one I have left now I am so incredibly broke right now) And no, I am not just going to copy the dvd and call that my entry, I'm actually going to model these first four first, and then make an entire city in this style (which is NOT in the dvd) and also I'll see if I can fit some interiors in there as well.
And the no poly count limit is a god send so might as well post some screens of what I have so far, and these are work in progress mind you, only worked on this for maybe 3 hours or whatever =) So the roofs are basically non existant on the back two ones and I have to add some balconies and some stuff that isn't covered by the dvd, and also obivously the other buildings of the city.
And I'll see if I'll get my entry textured when it's done.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 15:27 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 15:27
Cheers, yours is looking great.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 15:36 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 15:36
Why thank you kind sir! =o)

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 15:47
I didn't see anything pertaining to this rule on the rules thread, but am I allowed to enter this compo? Or are (joint)winners barred from entering the compo directly after their winning one?

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 16:00
From what I know (although that isn't very much hah) the winners should be able to enter this compo, as I don't really see any reason why you wouldn't.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 17:05
When I used to run it, if I remember correctly I allowed winners to enter, but not win - I don't know if Mike does things any differently, but I'd imagine if he didn't let winners win in a row, then I'd imagine for the case of a draw he'd make an exception.

Anyway - this is all I'm doing for today - I've done a few palm trees and a Ziggurat.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 17:14 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 17:15
nice whered you get water

or is that a feature of your program?

edit jsut that sec hit me did you use sub div to get a smooth effct

great anyway ^_^

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 17:26
No subdivision in the scene.

That was rendered in Cinema4D, but most 3D renderers should be able to do a water effect like that, all you need is a shader/material that can handle:

Bump mapping
Reflection
Colour

I used a slight blue tint on the colour, I used a greyscale ripple bump map (luckily Cinema4D has a procedural that does the job), then I used 70% reflection and have a Sky box.

The smooth effect, if you means how the light touches the edges of the objects smoothly? That's a rendering feature called 'Ambient Occlusion' a lot of modern renderers have it - even a couple of realtime renderers can do it (I think Leadwerks can)

Anyway, thank you.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 19:22
It looks absolutely amazing Sepp. You've really got talent in level design!

I might just vote for you right now

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 19:45
Winners are welcome to enter the competition again! If the one of the winners from the last competition wins, then I'll let them pick the next competition, I have no problem with that.

(Formerly Yellow)
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
thxs sepp am new to 3ds max so am still usin ac3d untill i buy a tutorial set other than how to render and the basics i have no clue what the buttons do lol,

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 20:27
Damn you Sepp and your fancy renders

Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
mmmm... i need a new render engine...

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 22:30 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 22:34
Heres where i am, i found raytracer lol

still dont know how to do water effects, ill probly stumble acroos in the near future

MY GOD, my little sheee,,ite of a brother has broken my new graphics tablet...
-_-

there gose my texture work

Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
nice lazerus.. "brother has broken my new graphics tablet..." ha ha.. kill him..

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 01:23
This is for tonight. Got a lot more to do. Interiors and the rest of the city, should be fun

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 01:52
Oooh, looks nice with render tricks...oh darn! I can't use cheap tricks to win this one, youz has 'em too.

Lazerus, looks good, an interesting concept you got there, a bit more imaginative than what we've got.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 02:01
Quote: "Oooh, looks nice with render tricks...oh darn! I can't use cheap tricks to win this one, youz has 'em too.
"

Haha

LD52
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 06:27 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 06:35
My W.I.P.

Edit: need to find a picture host
Edit2: sorry yeah i signed up at photobucket. It should work now.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 06:28
Use Photobucket.

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 06:29
Did anyone else notice what's wrong with the title of this thread?

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, like they should be.
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 06:30
Lol Design is spelled wrong.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 07:11
Hehe, what's this nonsense?

(thanks for the catch guys)

(Formerly Yellow)
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 14:36 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 18:29
quick update,

i now need to put in the citadeland the small citys srrounding them, to support the rest of the city ill use relays

argos is outa new graphics tabs so ill have to wait till they get more in stock,

an neo,
i launched his xbox 360 pad out nthe window in frount of him, he dident even react so hes knows what heed done

wuhahahahaha

edit,

citadel 1 inplace and linked,

strange the sizes are different but i batch rendered them .

few problems with the citadels 'island' other than the poly count everting is great

Jasiek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 19:01 Edited at: 20th Jul 2008 00:18
MikeS that's great, I was also wondering would it be ok for me to join now.....

Just a quick WIP, the stuff behind is just a concept. I slapped on some blocks, spheres and cylinders to define my scene. Now I'm making my detail based on that. The style I'm aiming at is a Steam punk - "City of the lost children" thing. Also I want it to be more or less game ready (love making my levels as models...).

The textures are cellphone pics of my neighbourhood, old commie-times stuff is great for it.

<-- <3

Seppuku Arts, weren't Sumerian fortifications "decorated" with triangles on top (like the Ishtar gate)?

UPDATE:

I think when this is finished I'm using it for a game....
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 01:45
Jasiek, I think you will win this compo Looks wonderful

Jasiek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 02:13 Edited at: 20th Jul 2008 03:54
That's nice of you to say I wouldn't be so sure though, this one looks like it's gonna be even tighter then the last one. There's some sweet stuff going on already. Regardless doing this gave me ideas about a game I wanted to make, now it's really clear ^^.

I like doing my textures first, and then using them as tiles, makes it more fun ^^.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 02:48
Awesome! Well I think I'll try to be more competitive with my up coming screenshots. I think I'll sort out an improvement for the buildings.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
it reminds me of that old ps1 game nightmare creatures,

lookin great

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 15:20
I've started modelling a coal power plant, which I am making up as I go along.

Game maker wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 16:02
Heres mine, its a bridge.

Attachments

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 18:01
Here is mine-

I still need to texture, and I will try and make a normal map for the texture too. I already have pretty good UV images, that are read-able. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for blender on how to make normal maps?

AS for all the other models, wow, they are good!

www.globalwarfare.tk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:18:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:18:18