Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / NGC for DBP! Interested in purchasing, need more info. Please!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 11:41
Hi i have already purchased several DBP Plugins, and one of them is Dark Physics, although the Physics and collision system is excellent and more than capable compared to other physic systems. However it only lacks the one thing that would benefit me the most is camera collision system & commands, especially for 3rd person view games etc... What I would like to know is? Does NGC Plugin support camera collisions along side of object collisions? I've checked on THEGAMECREATORS and NG websites, but they don'tmention camera collisions at all. Any info would be apreciated for my future products, as I am willing to purchase it. Only if its really suitable for what I need though. Thank you! in advance
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 21:17
It's not important either way really. If they support camera collisions with objects, then use it. If not, then use a hidden object and place the camera at the object position. Either way you'll get the same result.

TBH though, I haven't heard a lot about NG for a long long time...

Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 12:20
Yes i 1st tried that with Dark physics, however if the program uses gravity the object you use for the camera either becomes still in the program (static) or drops to the ground (dynamic). I am currently working on a way round this at the moment for Dark physics! Just wanted to know if NGC's Plugin had camera collision commands.

I have looked in the Forums and found that a coule of other people are having same troubles.

Thank you! for your INPUT, as it is most apreciated.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe try kinematic objects from dark physics. If I remember correctly they where just like any other dbpro objects but they can be manually positioned at any time and they collided both with static and dynamic physical bodies. But don't hold on this, it is just what I remember.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.8
Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 17:08
I use sparky's collision plugin for this kind of stuff.

The sliding in really useful.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 11:27 Edited at: 17th Aug 2008 11:29
NGC is slow and dated. It isn't a real DBP plugin either. It's a DLL with a bunch of DBP code wrapper commands.

Sparky's collision gives superior collision, it's free, and it's MUCH MUCH faster than NGC. NGC uses ellipsoid collision which sounds great but isn't. I get the same result using multiple sphere casts with Sparky's at a fraction of the CPU cost.

NGC doesn't have box collision and collision bodies can't rotate. That's a huge limitation. The alternative is to use lots of raycasting, but Sparky's raycasting is superior anyway, so there is no advantage.

For various reasons I like to use Dark Physics and Sparky's together. Those combined are faster than NGC alone.

Come see the WIP!
Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 05:02
So NGC is just another variation of Newton Physics Wrapper for DBP then?

I really like the simplicity and speed of Dark Physics, just would like help with being able to use camera collision with 3rd person character controller in Dark Physics?

I've been told it can be done some how in Dark Physics, just wanted a little help in knowing how to go about it. As i'm still getting use to all the different commands, then new ones are added in the next update. I'm not complianing tho'!

I will give Sparky's a try aswell! Just hope it works along side the other plugins, and will need to learn another plugins system commands.

Thanks for the help all of you, as its greatly apreciated!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 02:15
Quote: "So NGC is just another variation of Newton Physics Wrapper for DBP then?"

No, not at all.

Quote: "I've been told it can be done some how in Dark Physics"

Research the collision commands. It seems to me as though you don't have the best grasp on physics and collision. Experiment with some tutorials and commands.

Come see the WIP!
trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 07:11
@Cash Curtis II
Would you please post a snippet showing how sparky's is much faster than NGC?
I tried it in my projects but have not seen the faster performance.

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 18:24
I could but I'm not going to. In a small project you won't notice a difference, if you benchmark the two with stress tests you'll notice a significant difference. You can benchmark it as well as I can. The thing is I've already done it so I don't need to.

Ellipsoid collisions are slow, NGCs raycasting is slower than Sparky's, and NGC doesn't support box collisions. The closest thing you can do is mesh collision on a box object but you still can't rotate and it's slow. NGC made Geisha House unplayable and unstable. Believe what you will.

Come see the WIP!
Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 23:03
Well before i got Dark Physics i was using DBP native collision comands, for ray casting and sliding collision's.

And Newton Physics for DBP is a wrapper DLL as well.

I've tried a variety of techniques for collisions already with Dark Physics. However Making camera collision routines amongst character controller with gravity and jump physics with 3rd person perspective is a little trickier.

The only problem i'm having is with the camera collision detection being more stable and reliable. I can get collision unless i change the distance from character controller to camera?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:47:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:47:34