Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DBPro Upgrade 7.0 Beta Test

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 09:28 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 09:29
In help file
By a Limb Visible() command
Command explanation is a mistake.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "

pcRaider: Works fine here with corrected source code:

autocam on:backdrop on
make matrix 1,4000,4000,100,100
set matrix height 1,50,50,500
update matrix 1
position camera 0,0,500,500
point camera 0,2000,0,2000
make camera 1
position camera 1,0,500,500
point camera 1,2000,0,2000
set camera view 1,10,10,100,100
while mouseclick()<>1
if inkey$()="z" then set current camera 0 : c=0
if inkey$()="x" then set current camera 1 : c=1
control camera using arrowkeys c,1,1
endwhile
while mouseclick()=1 : endwhile
delete matrix 1:autocam off:backdrop off
end

"

Oops, it was a mistake of a code.
The code is a thing in help file.
Please repair Example Code of help file.

SET CURRENT CAMERA command
CONTROL CAMERA USING ARROWKEYS command
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 12:14
Hi Lee, would it be possible to add a command such as set global shadow range? Currently the shadow range can be uniquely set for each object when the shadow shading is setup, but the shadow range should be defined by the light's range. If it would be possible, it could improve the shadow shading speed. If it is possible, you could leave the set shadow shading on syntax the same so it wouldn't break anybodies old code.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 12:25
Quote: "New BETA5 uploaded. More info at the start of the thread, and replies to your feedback below. I am looking to seal up this version and start quite quickly with a U71 which will add your feature requests that could not make it into U70. The U71 will also be the place where you willfind the commands worked on and suggested at the TGC CON event, so let me know if this BETA5 has any show stoppers and we can look to make this public soon.
"

Looks good.

Will do more testing this evening but so far everything works as it should.

Looking forward to the new features and fixes becoming public.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 12:34 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 12:37

"//" command, does not work. ( Rem command )

"make object plane" keyword does not become a highlight.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 13:25
Quote: ""make object plane" keyword does not become a highlight."

Should it?

You could try:

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
this is U70b5 update.

Changes log:
Upgrade 7.0
===========
Basic3D
-------
* Duplicated MAKE OBJECT PLAIN with MAKE OBJECT PLANE to correct a very old typo

"
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 14:37 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 15:20
edit
seem like make mesh from object got dented in the upgrade, this now does not work.

and using limb scale

Quote: "HowDo : Send me your Truespace 7.6 model that does not load in U70 BETA.
"

Lee model works ok in U70 beta 5

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 15:52
@pcRaider

Quote: "* Duplicated MAKE OBJECT PLAIN with MAKE OBJECT PLANE to correct a very old typo"

Oops! I forgot about that.

So, yes, it should be highlighted as you say.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 16:37
can you please have a look at save image... I do get image of a full screen then save image as png..

i have a solid black sprite background and transparent background sprites over the top and getting very mixed results from 6.7 upwards - the latest beta only saves the top sprite with a transparent background for the rest of the screen.

i paste all sprites to screen before performing get image.

All Hail the Glory of the HypnoToad
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 17:17
Quote: ""* Duplicated MAKE OBJECT PLAIN with MAKE OBJECT PLANE to correct a very old typo""

Yes, but will only become highlighted when the keywords file is distributed with the change too.

I look forward to the new command from the convention with a great name:

PUT STUFF IN THE DBO FILE FROM A MEMBLOCK BUT ONLY ONCE AT THE END

and

GET STUFF FROM AN APPENDED DBO FILE AND PUT IT IN A MEMBLOCK

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 18:51
Hi Guys,

That reminds me to ask the community what they would like a command to look like. Currently we have my idea:

ADD MEMBLOCK TO OBJECT 1,1
GET MEMBLOCK FROM OBJECT 1,1

Or Steve's version:

PUT STUFF IN THE DBO FILE FROM A MEMBLOCK BUT ONLY ONCE AT THE END 1,1
GET STUFF FROM AN APPENDED DBO FILE AND PUT IT IN A MEMBLOCK 1,1

I will let you guys think on it, and when U71 thread starts we can discuss it there.

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 18:52
General Reed : Send me your take on the bug as a very small piece of source code and I will check it out against BETA5.

revenant chaos : No new features will be added to U70. Make suggestions for additions when we start the U71 treat after U70 is officially released

Green Gandalf : Thanks again for your input over the weekend, it was great to meet you! Your new command features will be part of U71 as I think a lot of people want U70 released so they can upgrade. We can then spend some time making sure U71 additions do not affect stability.

pcRaider : There is no such comment command as \\ or //. Only REM, REMSTART and the ' symbol. make object plane added to keywords, thanks.

I will check out the cylinder to mesh bug now.

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 18:56
LOL...

I'm still waiting for,

MAKE GAME (type), (coolness), (multiplayer flag), (number of players)

type

0 = FPS
1 = RPG
2 = RTS

coolness

0 = Pong
1 = Tron
2 = Doom
3 = AAA Title

multiplayer flag

0 = Single Player
1 = 2 player split screen
2 = Multiplayer online (a player must host)
3 = Massive Multiplayer Online (both client and server EXEs will be created)

number of players

1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = up to 16
4 = up to 32
5 = (how much bandwidth and hardware you got??)

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 19:44
BETA6 uploaded with fixes from feedback on BETA5. Comments above for those issues not going in U70

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 19:45
Fastsync + multiple cameras + frustum culling is still broken, example:

Attached: shader + camera + clipping plane issue which I e-mailed you a while ago and really needs to be fixed for many effects to be efficiently done.

Quote: "pcRaider : There is no such comment command as \\ or //. Only REM, REMSTART and the ' symbol."

Either the default IDE and codesurge auto-parse them out or they do exist, besides I always use // comments unless I'm temporarily commenting lines that don't work or something.

and this shouldn't run in that case:

You should leave this in of course as it looks way better than the other comment types.

Attachments

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like dark coder beat me to it. Please can this be fixed.

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 22:10
Quote: "That reminds me to ask the community what they would like a command to look like."

Since a memblock soaks up information much like a sponge soaks up water, I suggest:

Add Sponge to Object
and
Get Data From Big Wet Object

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 22:44 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 23:02
Lee, make mesh from object as stop working when trying to make a mesh with other object add as limbs. gives the ms error box.

edit
seem I cannot delete and object before i have made a mesh.

eg had this and it worked.

now I have to do this.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 00:24 Edited at: 15th Oct 2008 00:27
@Lee Bamber

Quote: "pcRaider : There is no such comment command as \ or //. Only REM, REMSTART and the ' symbol. "

That's news to me. All of the following methods of commenting out lines work for me - and have done so for some time.

I usually use the second option - but if I was writing really neat comments I'd use // as Dark Coder suggests.

Perhaps Mike has been sneaking features in behind your back?

Edit More importantly I can confirm Dark Coder's fastsync bug - replace fastsync with sync and his code works fine. That does need fixing.

@HowDo

I couldn't reproduce your problem. Both versions work for me. Here's the code I used - using Dark Coder's C style comments ( ) to comment out the remstart and remend:

Programming, and especially bug-hunting, is fun.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 01:41 Edited at: 15th Oct 2008 01:47
An index.htm in help file.
The command that is not found.
#CONSTANT
#INCLUDE
And, index.htm is alphabetical order why it is not sorted.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
A "STATIC RAYCAST" command in help file.
Can you add an article of BatVink to help file?

static raycast(ox#, oy#, oz#, nx# , ny#, nz#)
This command allows you to return the distance to the static world along the specified ray. It works in exactly the same way as intersect object, but an object number is not specified. This is an extremely useful command, and returns a lot of information, which is stored in the DarkBASIC Professional checklist. It allows for many actions, such as easy placement of decals, and vectors for bouncing objects off walls. You will note that a new command, checklist fvalue() has been introduced to return floats. The data returned is as follows:

Checklist string$(1)
a string with the first part the mesh number and the second part the frame number

Checklist string$(2)
a string with 3 parts storing the vertex indices for the triangle that was intersected

checklist fvalue a(3), checklist fvalue b(3), checklist fvalue c(3)
object space coordinates for vertex 0 e.g. 1.0, 2.0, 3.0

checklist fvalue a(4), checklist fvalue b(4), checklist fvalue c(4)

checklist fvalue a(5), checklist fvalue b(5), checklist fvalue c(5)

checklist fvalue a(6), checklist fvalue b(6), checklist fvalue c(6)
world space coordinate where the collision took place e.g. 1.0, 2.0, 3.0

checklist fvalue a(7), checklist fvalue b(7), checklist fvalue c(7)
normal of polygon that was hit e.g. 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

checklist fvalue a(8), checklist fvalue b(8), checklist fvalue c(8)
reflection normal based on angle of impact e.g. 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

"

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_37.html#6
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 03:44 Edited at: 15th Oct 2008 03:44
In helpfile

--------------
LIMB EXIST
This command will return a one if the specified 3D object exists, otherwise zero will be returned.

to

LIMB EXIST
This command will return a one if the specified limb of 3D object exists, otherwise zero will be returned.

---------------
LIMB VISIBLE
This command will return a one if the specified limb exists, otherwise zero will be returned.

to

LIMB VISIBLE
This command will return a one if the specified limb is visible, otherwise zero will be returned.

---------
I think in this way, and is there a better sentence?
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 05:08 Edited at: 15th Oct 2008 05:41
example code is err.

/Help/examples/camera/camera2-example.dba

/Help/examples/light/light2-example.dba

/Help/examples/matrix/matrix2-example.dba
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 19:35
dark coder & General Reed : The shader example compiles, runs and applies the shader when space is pressed. I would need more info as to what YOU expect and what is CURRENTLY happening. I ran it on U68 and my results where identical as far as I could see.

WindowsKiller : I am pretty sure get image has not changed in a long time. You need to send me source code proving a bug or issue, as right now you have not given me enough information to do anything about this one. I am pretty happy with the way the modes work. Anyone else having issues with GET IMAGE?

pcRaider : Most X2-example.dba found in the help folders are discontinued and left-over files from U69 and earlier. The new help system does not link to these files and are no longer distributed.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 19:54 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 06:39
This is a code of "a Game Programming Book".
This worked in U66b.
This does not work in U70b6.
Including EXE of 66b, I attach it.
- - - - - - -
Where is bad?
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lee - The bug has been there for an unknown amount have updates.
Basicly, cameras do not clip objects properly, if they have a shader attached to them. Take the shader off, and the object clips just as it should. This is a problem for shaders such as fresnel water, because the reflection camera cannot clip shaded objects, and so reflection mucks up, if your camera is but a few feet from the water.

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 00:50
@LeeBamber

Press 1 or 2 to view the render targets, one clips everything above 0, the other clips below. Before you apply the shader both work correctly no matter where you look from, when you apply the shader when you press 1 and 2 the clipping plane is obviously messed up as the clipping plane seems to follow the camera.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 01:50
Hi Dark Coder,

Find attached four snapshots from your example. In turn, they show the unshaded object while pressing [1] then [2] and the lower shots are the shaded object pressing [1] and then [2[. As you can see, the shaded object is clipped in both views. Send me what you see on your machine, or explain why this result is incorrect. As I did not write the shader or code, I can only guess at the desired result without making a time consuming and extensive study so sorry if I am missing something obvious!

Any other feedback on BETA7 for show-stopper-ness?

Attachments

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 03:16
Strange, basically I get the same as you before the shader is applied, but after I apply it the clipping plane only clips things above 0.0 on the screen-space Y axis, this happens when I press either 1 or 2, no matter where I look from. Attached is a pic showing this, if I lower the camera's angle so the object is above the middle of the RT camera's view then it's invisible to me. This is using a 8800GTX with the latest drivers.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 03:37
Hi Dark Coder,

If you can post a screenshot, I can get an idea what you are seeing. I have an 8800GTX, latest drivers, Windows XP, latest DX, running with no other background tasks, no camera movement just render what I see the moment the app starts and I press [1] and then [2] and use PRINT SCREEN to grab the shots.

Maybe you can try backing up your stuff, and doing a fresh install of DBP, U70 BETA7, and run your code or perhaps better try a second machine?

Thanks.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 03:46
BETA8 uploaded with fix for INDEX.HTM and #INCLUDE and #CONSTANT. U70 is almost ready to have the lid put on. I will do some intense testing Thursday on it and I hope to finish this version off for Friday. During the weekend I will begin U71 and bring in the cool new features and fixes from the TGC CONVENTION 2008 which I will start in a new thread. Let me know if BETA8 has anything horrible introduced since U69 or since earlier BETAs, otherwise we will probably go with this one.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 04:04 Edited at: 16th Oct 2008 04:23
Seems I forgot to attach the image, here's the same as yours, top 2 are [1] and [2] without shaders, bottom two are with.

As you can see, the clipping plane doesn't work properly when the shader is enabled, it's almost like the clipping plane is in camera-space, except it's not.

[edit] And this is using Vista 32bit if that changes anything.

Attachments

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lee - The same problem happens here. Its not just dark coder. Im using a 8800gts 640mb with the latest drivers. Good work on the updates so far.

Cheers

-General Reed

MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure if it's a big deal for most but the "mod" operator still isn't working for byte, word, dword types or double integers.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 14:51 Edited at: 16th Oct 2008 14:51
@Lee :
Concerning these commands :
ADD MEMBLOCK TO OBJECT 1,1
GET MEMBLOCK FROM OBJECT 1,1
If their objective is to allow us to load an object directly into a memblock and send it in the 3D world directly from the memblock without having to use MESH, etc ... commands...
And reverse.
It's cool

Should it be possible to do the same concerning :
IMAGES, SOUNDS, MUSICS ?

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 19:05
Paul, our resident brain box, found a great link to the solution to this, and relates to the simple fact that the DirectX fixed function pipeline uses clipping planes differently if you are using shaders. Essentially a clipping plane in a shader needs to be in clip space, whereas DBP uses world space clipping planes. In BETA9, I will add two new modes which will allow you to specify world or clip space planes which I think will solve your long-standing issues. The reason I did not see the bug is that you really have to move the camera above the object and look down on it to see that the clipping was not slicing nicely through the object with shaders. The BETA9 fix now slices cleanly through the object All you need to do is change these lines:

`Set Camera Clip 1, 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
`Set Camera Clip 2, 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
Set Camera Clip 1, 3, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
Set Camera Clip 2, 3, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
(ONLY WITH BETA9 - OUT SOON)

The ADD MEMBLOCK TO OBJECT does not put an object in a memblock, it allows you to add extra data to an object via a memblock. Given this, what command name would you suggest?

Best Regards,
Lee

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks lee, im afraid it still dosent work though. Does exactly the same. Works with no shader, but with a shader, both camera renders show the same (bottom half clipped on both).

trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 20:34
Man, those betas keep coming out... Awesome.
Lots of my issues were taken care of with those betas except for one.

Make memblock from image
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=126389&b=15
Large images 3028x3028 still depend on the graphic card. Some read it right , and some don't.

Will it be fixed in 7.0 or 7.1?

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 21:54
Hi General Reed,

Are you using Vista as well, or XP? Can you send me a shot of what you see, I know it might seem redundant but it helps me see a remotely occurring issue as more real, especially in cases where I cannot reproduce it myself. Thanks.

I think this issue has been in DBP for some time, long before the step from U69 to U70 so I do not think it should prevent BETA9 becoming the official U70 version.

We will of course be right into U71 with this issue until we can solve it to everyone's delight. You will also get access to the other features and fixes from the TGC CON too which I am sure you are eager for.

let me know any other U70 show stopper issues before the weekend and I will take care of it.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 22:05
LeeBamber: Will be Dark GDK with 7.0 upgrade released too?

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lee - Im using vista 32-bit ultimate.

Attached is a shot, of the first clip plane camera (1) key. When i press two, the same image is rendered. Without the shader however, camera 1 shows the bottom half, but not the top, as it should.

Attachments

MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
ADD MEMBLOCK TO OBJECT and GET MEMBLOCK FROM OBJECT could be shortend to :

ADD OBJECT MEMBLOCK AND GET OBJECT MEMBLOCK, which I like. Or shortend to :

AOM and GOM... j/k

Does this add the actual data to something like a data array in the object or does it just make a pointer to a memblock. Or even better, does it just make a memblock in the object that I can use with DB memblock functions as well as Ian's additional memblock commands? If I can CLONE or COPY and have the memblocks intact... why, that's like inheritance!

This kinda makes OBJECTS more like actual objects than just 3d data structures. It's not OOP but you can get some useful structured objects like this.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 22:40
Hi Guys,

We can chat about command names, new featurettes and other news in another thread, for now just want to keep this thread for U70 show stopper issues.

Seems that there may be a bug in the DirectX 9.0L driver for Vista which seems to overwrite the clipping setting when you load up all the states to the GPU for rendering. Below is the fix, which flushes the commands on the state stack before proceeding to use a new clipping plane:

Sync Mask 2
FastSync
` GPU flush needed to solve suspected DX9.0L bug in Vista
Sync
Sync Mask 4
FastSync

This solves the Vista issue until we can look closer at exactly where in the driver the problem arises, and whether there are any quick workarounds for DBP. As I understand the new graphics system with Vista, all states are added to a command stack and executed. I suppose I could add a PRESENT or similar to execute all GPU instructions to that point in the FASTSYNC command, but we can look at that in U71 onwards.

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks lee!
Tho i am looking forward to 7.0, as calling sync an extra time impacts performance.

Cheers

-General reed

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 06:31 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 06:34
Do you have a plan to add a glossary to DBP?
It is the same DBC.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 09:09 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 09:17
The Beta9 links appears to be broken (well for me anyway )

NVM: it's working now

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi lee, is there any chance, a fix to address the issue shown here
[herf]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=138528&b=15[/herf] for version 7.0?

Thanks

-General Reed

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 16:47 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 16:49
@WindowsKiller
I confirmed it.

Attachments

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 23:19
Quote: "The ADD MEMBLOCK TO OBJECT does not put an object in a memblock, it allows you to add extra data to an object via a memblock. Given this, what command name would you suggest?
"

ADD MEMBLOCK DATA TO OBJECT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:51:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:51:20